4 stick RAM in dual channel mode?

yiplong

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I already have 2x2gb DDR3 memory in my system, I am thinking about adding some more when I upgrade the OS to Win7. In order for all 4 sticks to run in dual channel mode, do all of them have to be of identical model, or do I just need each pair to be identical?
Can I add, for example 2x1gb DDR3, made by a different manufacturer?

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The chances of success are much better if you keep the memory all the same brand and specification.

4GB of RAM isn't bad for Win7 in case you're wondering.

I'm running one Win7 system with 2GB of RAM and another with 6GB of RAM and for all intents and purposes I don't really notice much difference in performance between the two.

mpdegn

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Oh well, listen to LoneWolf, everyone. Once again, he doesn't "notice much difference". Of course, now that is what an expert comment is made of and quite obviously considering your undisputed and good reputation, no-one would ever doubt what you have to say.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
The difference really comes into play when you acquire a x64 version over the old x86's. As far as I know the 32 bit chokes out anything above and beyond three gigs of ram. Btw, are you running 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win7?

It'll still recognize it, but it won't use it to it's potential. I've seen plenty of Win7 32-bit computers with four gigs of RAM but it's only using three of it.

But on topic. Lonewolf is right, keeping the memory as close as possible (i.e. Brand, timings, frequency, etc.) will have the highest success rate. Especially when it comes to dual channels. I've seen motherboards refuse to accept different manufacturers of RAM whereas other motherboards accept it just fine.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

If you have something constructive to add feel free.

I don't recall passing myself off as an expert I just try to help out where I can based on experiences I've had.

I happen to have a couple of different Win7 (64bit) systems so offered up what I know and under average daily use there is no significant difference between my one desktop running 2GB RAM and the other one which has 6GB.

soccerplayer8 also nailed it by pointing out that a huge factor is what version of Win7 a person is running because if this user is going to install the 32bit version then the 4GB of RAM he already has is plenty.

As to the rest of it yes sometimes people get lucky mixing RAM but most don't care much for the trial and error approach so it's best to keep the stuff matched if success is what you wish to have. ;)

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
First Off, 4GB Is Plenty For MOST Uses, Allthough There Is Nothing Wrong With Adding More, Especially If Your Doing Some Of The Rarer Things That Require More Than 4GB.

The Chances ARE NOT Any Better If You Use The Same Brand, The ONLY Thing You Need To Make Sure Of Is The Specifications Of The RAM, For Example If Your Running 2x2GB Sticks Of CAS 9-10-10-12 @ 2 Volts (Or Whatever) Make Sure The New Stick(s) Are Also 9-10-10-12 @ 2 Volts. Yes, Its As Simple As That, Trust Me I Know, Ive Done It Multiple Times Never An Issue On Several Different Motherboards Ranging From Old Athlon XPs To Pentium 4 To Athlon IIs An So On..

mpdegn

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Listen here, I'm not gonna put up with that tone of yours. I grew up a long time ago, what's it to you?
I've seen men die left and right and I didn't return so I can get instructed by some young folk like you. I have fought for freedom, just like all generations before me did. We have fought next to Admiral Sir John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent, what's it to you.

PS: I would, however, be willing to forget some of our differences if you could give me some advice on my topic. I'm trying to overclock 6GB or RAM. Don't mean to steal anyone's thread, but if you get a chance feel free to check out mine. Thanks.

Dante vanRosenfeld

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Righteous indignation?????? You've got to be kidding me.

First of all anyone with the ability to read can clearly see that you blew in here mocking a post of mine for some reason that's beyond me as I have no idea who the heck you are nor do I care. If you weren't mocking then my apologies but you somehow successfully managed to put together the most sarcastic response possible without adding any reply to the OP's question, so I doubt if you were me you'd take it any differently than I did.

Second of all if you're looking for a pat on the back for being a vet I think you're in the wrong forum. :ouch:

Thirdly it's not generally wise to assume too much considering I'm going to take your "young folk" comment as a huge compliment.

Fourth I'm not big on overclocking RAM so I let those who are answer that type of question.

Fifth and last if you really expect someone to help, you might give those people skills a bit of work, or if you're too good to get help from "young folk" then use Google and learn yourself just like I did.

Folks don't get paid for helping they do it out of kindness so if you're going to be adversarial chances are good you won't get much feedback so you might keep that in mind.

Have a nice day. :)

yiplong

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

I don't think he's really a vet given that John Jervis lived like 2 hundred years ago. I don't understand why this person is in my thread spewing garbage and disturbing other posters, get a life, or go f*ck yourself, do whatever you want but don't post your trash around the forum like an idiot.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I really can't recommend 2GB if you're running Win7 64bit. I tried it for a while when I first upgraded to Win7-64 from XP.

I found the amount of paging going on (during gaming) made a lot of games unplayable. YMMV