Just bought a 900$ rig, cant figure out whats DOA =/

codester

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Hey guys, im new to these forums but i'd figure it wouldn't hurt to ask =P alright so i bought a 900$ rig on newegg, heres what i got,

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb 7200 rpm SATA
Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-core
G.Skill 2x2GB 240-pinn ddr2 1066
Coolmax cug-700b 700w atx12v v2.2
Using my old Smilodon case

Also bought a new monitor and a logitech g15 keyboard lol probably why it added up to 900$... Im not particually new at building rigs, i just never ran into alotta problems..

Anyways heres the dramatic story, got my machine around the 14th my ram had shipped separatly with 7 day shipping so i had to wait till the 16th to put it together, which by then i felt like a young boy waiting for christmas... Anyways i got the ram in, put my machine together, turned it on, and no post, or video!, which by then i noticed dvd-rw light and cd-rw light both were just stuck on... Still had the side of my case off, so i took a peek with a flashlight, all my fans were running, looked a little deeper and i noticed my graphics card fan was not on, so i tried to power it off, power button wouldnt work, had to flip the switch... So i checked all the connectors, unplugged my monitor (i tested this monitor with my old build, i know it works lol) plugged it into the onboard graphics with my Mb, tried my comp again, same thing...

Then i went desperate, took out the ram, unplugged basically everything that i wouldnt need just to get a post... No post... So hey figured i was just unlucky and had a doa MB... Newegg has an awesome rma service, got my new MB by the next week, also had to buy some artic silver thermal compound, tried it again and SAME exact thing.. Did a bit more research, looked for doa cpus, found a few posts where people had the same exact thing happen to them... Then i was dead sure i had somehow rarely had gotten a doa cpu.. Well then i again, experienced neweggs awesome rma service, and i got my new cpu a week later, which happens to be today.. Yet i regret to say same thing happened again... Now i feel like an idiot, because i cant wrap my head around the fact that my new build just does not like me... So then i thought, if its not the mb or cpu, what could it be? Well, if i had a doa psu, it wouldnt boot period? but then again if it was partially doa (lol) and just couldnt put up enough power to boot the entire system which would explain why my graphics card isnt running at all... im all out of ideas, i gave away my old 500w power supply which didnt even have sata connectors -.- but i think i might go by the guys house today and bring my comp just to test it... what do you guys think :ouch: ?

Try taking the board out of the case; place it on a phonebook or cardboard box. Use just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, and video for a bare post. Connect the power supply leads, and use a regular flat screwdriver to touch the pin cluster with the case power switch lead. It should fire right up. You might have to remove the case power supply to reach the board, but be patient, and it should post.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006

I'm willing to bet money that if you've got IDE drives you either plugged the ribbon cable in wrong or forgot to move the jumper on the drives to master/slave correctly. Either one can, unfortunately, render a PC unable to get past POST.

Unplug both drives from the motherboard and see if you get past POST.

codester

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008

ROFL! Im pretty much an idiot, didnt see the 8 pin connector, im coming from an old asus mb :eek: which didnt have one lol, im like the biggest idiot ever LOL! booted up finally btw :bounce:

btw thanks guys for your help =D you guys are totally awesome <3

Yea boy!

Don't feel bad. This has stopped many a system builder who hadn't built a new system in a while. They should put a warning sticker on that aux plug.