• Nvidia
  • Performance
  • Dimension
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2008 9:28:42 PM

Hi,

I would very much like to upgrade my performance while also removing the noise. Does anybody know if the above combination will work? Or if there is any performance improvement going for the 9600GT with such an old motherboard? Will the pcie 2.0 card be an overkill for the standard dell motherboard in the dimension 9100? Do I need to upgrade the psu?

Everything else is standard in the dimension 9100.. The graphics card seems to be the main noise source. I will also be upgrading memory to 4 gb.. I am running vista ultimate 32 bit.

regards,

-kristoffer

More about : dell dimension 9100 nvidia 9600gt silent

a b Î Nvidia
November 26, 2008 10:52:40 PM

Don't think the upgrade is worth it with your current system.

For one, your older P4 3Ghz is a single core, and will limit the performance of any modern video cards. It also won't be the best performance wise for modern computer gaming, as many games are capable of using (and need) a dual-core CPU.

That 9600GT is a decent little card, although not the game killer. Even so, to see any big performance games you probably would be better served with a new system.

Also, your motherboard appears to support DDR1 memory. So you're probably running PC3200 (400Mhz) or something similar. Most gaming computers now days run PC6400 (DDR2 @ 800Mhz). So the memory bandwidth that is standard for most systems today is twice the speed as your system.

I found system specs for your model at CNET reviews. They didn't provide power supply details.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-9100-pe...;psum

My guess however, knowing Dell, is that you'll probably need a better Power supply as well. And not all power supplies will work with Dell systems.
a b Î Nvidia
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2008 12:43:09 PM

jerreece said:

My guess however, knowing Dell, is that you'll probably need a better Power supply as well. And not all power supplies will work with Dell systems.

The 9100 came with a 375 watt 30 amp power supply that had no problem powering an 8800 GTS 640, a 9600GT won't be a problem.

PS, almost any standard ATX power supply could be used as an upgrade if neccessary.

November 29, 2008 9:08:41 AM

Thanks for you input.

I guess I was mistaken, I dont have a standard setup (I didnt do anything my self)., as I have a dual core pentium D 830 processor (3ghz, 800mhz fsb, 2mb cache). I guess it is still outdated, but would it change any of your recommendations, jerreece?

I currently have 4x512 mb ddr2 533mhz ram, but was thinking of upgrading this to 4x1gb ddr2 pc2-5300 which i believe is the best ram chips that fit my system.

The general hum has always been quite loud. When I open it up, it seems to be the graphics card that makes the most noise, so I was planning on going for a fan-less graphics card. Maybe you have a suggestion for another silent graphics card that wouldnt be such an overkill? I'm not really into gaming, so I dont need top specs, but I do run some foto and video editing sw (photoshop/lightroom/pinnacle studio, etc).

any recommendations?

thanks for the help, very much appreciated!
!