ASUS P5GC-MX1333 FIRST BOOT ISSUE

lyndon9

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
HI ALL,
LAST NIGHT I BOOTED MY NEW COMPUTER FOR 1ST TIME. AFTER TUNING POWER ON ALL COMPONENT STARTED WITHOUT A PROBLEM. I THEN PRESSED F2 AND ALT DURING THE POST. THE NEXT SCREEN, IT IS LOOKING FOR FLOPPY AND CD ROM IN WHICH IT FINDS NEITHER UNTIL I PUT IN DISK THAT CAME WITH MOTHERBOARD IN WHICH IT THEN READS ""CD-ROM FOUND...READING FILE "P5GCMX.ROM"...COMPLETE...THEN THE BOMB HITS!!!...I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE ..."ERROR!...THE BIOS IS TOO OLD, OR THE MOTHERBOARD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT HARDWARE"...BIOS SET-UP CONFIRMS MY HARDWARE IS RECOGNIZED. I CANNOT UPDATE BIOS TO NEW VERSION UNTIL I GET RID OF THIS ERROR. THESE ARE MY COMPONENTS:
ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
INTEL CELERON 430 SINGLE CORE 1.8G CACHE 512 SOCKET LGA775
WD CAVIAR SE WD2500AAJS
CORSAIR VALUE SELECT 2GB DDR667

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Why are you hitting F2 during the post?
Alt F2 is telling the system to flash the bios.
The message you are getting is telling you that the bios version on the disk is older than what is already on your board.
If you are just trying to get into the bios press del when booting.

lyndon9

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
thank you all.
pat, when i boot a computer for the very 1st time, what steps should i take ?...reading the manual, thats what i thought i was suppose to do. maybe i just got in deeper than i shouuld have with computers. i just always wanted to build one and thought i knew how....

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Just put the windows disk in and turn it on.
If all goes well its will load windows and set itself up.
Since the HDD is blank you will have to create partitons and format but windows will walk you through it.
After windows is installed insert the system disk and it will autoplay so that you can give it the MB drivers.
Then if you have one install virus protection before you go online for any reason.

If for some reason you need to get to the BIOS settings press Del while its booting and you will get to the settings.
While in there look for a setting that says something like "show bootscreen logo" and turn it off so you can see the boot process and see the info it provides.

Once windows is installed be sure to goto
start|right click computer|properties|advanced system settings|advanced|startup and recovery settings| and uncheck automatically restart.
This way if windows has a failure it will give a message insted of just restarting and leaving you feel hopless.
Be sure to write down the message if this happens, but it shouldnt and you should be fine.

lyndon9

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
thank you pat!... all went well...just needed someone to explain it in detail one time to get it right. thanks again