Cant install xp on asus p8p67le bord

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabitan

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
i cant install xp, i can load the disk , it start loadin the files and when he get to stating setup i get a blue screen every single time. i change memory, hard drive and on but at no help. i have windows 7 installed on it and it work perfectt. i need both os in 2 different drive. what can i do to solve that problem. i must have xp in a different drive or i am in big troubles with my clients. PLEASE HELP thank you

Usually blue screens in setup are from memory errors. Just because Win7 installed does not mean your memory is fine; it might just mean the XP setup uses a particular memory pattern that causes a memory error.

So, you should test the memory with a tool such as a Memtest bootable CD. Let it run through a full pass, or overnight is even better.

If it does not find a memory error then another option would be to install XP in a virtual machine using the virtualization software of your choice. I prefer a virtual copy of XP because it allows me to work in both Win7 and XP at the same time without a reboot.

RadAcoustics

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Had the same problem installing XP with the P8P67LE board, after a couple of retries I managed to figure out that the default 'SATA mode' setting in Bios is set to 'AHCI' which XP does not seem compatible with. Once I switched that setting to 'IDE' it intstalled without a hitch.
PS. Just to be sure that was the culprit I swicthed it back after XP installed and tried to boot, sure enough...blue screen.

robdee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Sorry guys - I can see this is a few months old. But if it helps anyone else doing a search - folks you've missed the OBVIOUS culprit here:
W7 has the AHCI drivers and can install direct from the setu disk no prob. However, XP does not have the drivers and in fact ASKS you for them during setup - you get the option to feed them via USB stick / floppy etc.

No AHCI drivers = BSOD.

That's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.