Phenom 2 at 6.5 gigh. New 3d mark record.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
no, it tells how much you can overclock with liquid nitrogen. overclocking is going to be like any other cpu. there will be variances by batch in how high one can be stable 24/7 overclocked. the milestone here is the fact it can overclock pretty decent compared to the previous gen phenom.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

its actually liquid helium ;)

Wait wait wait wait there just one minute. This is the same cherry picked CPU that AMD was using to hype the crap out of Phenom II? Whats the use? Most review sites have not even been able to hit 4GHz on air like AMD did with this chip.

Hell Anand did a bit more tweaking and got from 3.8GHz to 3.9GHz but still no further.

This was just hype. AMD found one really really good CPU and used it to hype the living jebus out of Phenom II.

Nice record but it will be broken soon. Cooliaer tends to break thos very easily with anything and ATI GPUs that he OCs like crazy.

Plus its AMDs YouTube channel. Not to be trusted 100% just like Intels YouTube channel is not. Although I enjoy the sort of presentations Intel has on their page about the new tech they are doing like the HK/MG one. Interesting stuffs.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
lol... yeah AMD is always full of it when they post things like this. actually now that i think of it it must be a fake video. probably pre rendered 3d mark score. actually... its probably an Intel chip used!

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
1.84 Vcore is crazy, but I guess so is 6.5Ghz. That shows that AMD did something right this time around.
PS. Why is Jimmy such a hater? It's just a CPU, dude, chill out.

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
AMD did not say their Chip can hit 4GHz on air that is why Intel Core 2 Quad is still the way to go. AMD says you could hit 3.9GHz on air and maybe 4.2GHz on water.

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Ive got mine chugging along fine for 3 days now at 3.7ghz with a 1.4625 vcore. Idle temp's are 26c with load never going above 45c. Im almost positive i could hit 4ghz if i tried with the right vcore but for now im happy with my 700mhz overclock...Rig in Sig

G

Something in the back of my mind tells me Intels i7 cpus can beat that 3dmark score on a much lower clock speed :/

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
wierd..
cant find it there anywhere. somebody help me out here lol. i dont trust videos when the result should be on their site.
http://www.futuremark.com/community/halloffame/3dmarkvantage_performance/

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

its on there. i just ran a 3dmark05 test on my system and it said the highest score reached was a p2 at 45 yadda yadda. run 3dmark05 and u will see it in system comparison.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
why? that is an outdated, unoptimized test. i am not busting balls werxen. i just expected to see it in Vantage since it is the most current, updated 3dmark app. in truth, it needs updated BADLY. those apps tend to be easily manipulated which is why i don't give them the credence i used to. i would be nipping if this were the i7 so dont feel like i am nit-picking. there was one of those terrible P4's that could go over 7Ghz and didnt and still doesnt impress me.

I see it did clock highest but did not achieve the highest score over here:
http://ripping.org/benchmarks.php?act=graphicscores&graphic=3DMark05

then we look at the newer version:
http://ripping.org/benchmarks.php?act=graphicscores&graphic=3DMark06

now in fairness, there may be a reason they have not ran 3dm6. i still think Vantage would be a better measure myself. i would imagine we will see them appear there before long.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

the scores are all relative dude... i got a 22K in 3dkark05 and 13K in 06. whats the difference? one i got high, the other i got higher but in both instances i would have to apply tremendous overclock to both CPU and GPU to achieve a higher score.

EDIT: btw i do not trust that website over the actual 3dmark website that declares the AMD team the winners. they can post whatever they want but the REAL site with the ACTUAL listing posts AMD team is the winner not the i7 team.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
i have a reasonable answer to that. 3dmark05 isn't nearly CPU intense as the newer tests. the proof being that the core2 duals are nipping at its heels. it was "the test" before the quads were emerging in numbers.
the overclock is impressive. that it mucho high for a quad. i am going to guess there arent alot of i7 or Yorkfield results to be found with 05 compared to 3dmark06 or Vantage. bet there are TONS of dual core results because that was a test of that era.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

what the ****? i just checked the site last night. did they JUST break the record today? :fou: :fou: damnit!

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

Too bad they didn't use approved video drivers so that their result would have actually been validated. You can read this inside of that result:

Please note that this result has been produced using display drivers which have not been validated or approved by Futuremark and will not be visible on default result search on the ORB or on the Hall of Fame.

But since they didn't then werxen is correct... they have the world record.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

hmm... :heink: whats going on lol.