rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

After my Storage drive crashed a couple of days ago.. I now have the
responsibility of choosing another hard drive.. here are my specs.. not
sure if any quality hard drive would do or I have to purchase something to
go along with the rest of what I have?.. thanks Rainy

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (9988 MB free)

bytor

In article <92SWe.362001$xm3.2071@attbi_s21>, rainydays38
@sweetwrapz.net, Rainy says...

> After my Storage drive crashed a couple of days ago.. I now have the
> responsibility of choosing another hard drive.. here are my specs.. not
> sure if any quality hard drive would do or I have to purchase something to
> go along with the rest of what I have?.. thanks Rainy
>
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
> Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
>
> Motherboard
> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
> Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
> System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
> BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>
> Display
> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
> Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)
>
> Multimedia
> Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
>
> Storage
> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
> Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
>
> Partitions
> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (9988 MB free)

I guess there will be one solution or a few.

You stated you had a "data" drive? Your specs state that all your IDE
connectors are used, how was your drive connected? Serial ATA(providing
it is the sata model board)? PCI Controller card, RAID?
This would be the first questions to answer I suppose before a
recommendation is made....... ;0)
Bottom link is your manual download, take a look and it will give you a
good idea of the capability of your board.........

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20020812/

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?Type=All&model=A7V8X

johnf

Your drive couldn't care less about the programs you have (or the specs of
your PC).
Just go for any recommended good brand - & buy the next size up than you
think you need.

--

johnf

> After my Storage drive crashed a couple of days ago.. I now have the
> responsibility of choosing another hard drive.. here are my specs.. not
> sure if any quality hard drive would do or I have to purchase something
> to go along with the rest of what I have?.. thanks Rainy
>
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
> Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
>
> Motherboard
> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
> Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
> System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
> BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>
> Display
> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
> Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)
>
> Multimedia
> Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
>
> Storage
> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
> Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
>
> Partitions
> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (9988 MB free)

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

thanks johnf, that makes it much easier.. just included the specs so if it
did matter, which I had no way of knowing whether it would or not.. someone
could advise... thanks for the response.. Rainy
"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> Your drive couldn't care less about the programs you have (or the specs of
> your PC).
> Just go for any recommended good brand - & buy the next size up than you
> think you need.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> After my Storage drive crashed a couple of days ago.. I now have the
>> responsibility of choosing another hard drive.. here are my specs.. not
>> sure if any quality hard drive would do or I have to purchase something
>> to go along with the rest of what I have?.. thanks Rainy
>>
>> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
>> Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
>>
>> Motherboard
>> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
>> Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
>> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
>> System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
>> BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
>> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>>
>> Display
>> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
>> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
>> Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)
>>
>> Multimedia
>> Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
>>
>> Storage
>> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
>> Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
>> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
>> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
>> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
>>
>> Partitions
>> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (9988 MB free)

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Hi I was talking to my son who knows a little bit about this, and he said
that the drive I buy has to have the right number of pins.. and there are
other specs to be concerned about... I know nothing about this.. but don't
want to go out and buy a drive to come home and find that it won't fit .. or
it's the wrong type.. How do I find out what kind of hard drive I need..
Appreciate your answer but not sure I can buy just any old drive.. :) I
really need some help on this.. thanks Rainy

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> Your drive couldn't care less about the programs you have (or the specs of
> your PC).
> Just go for any recommended good brand - & buy the next size up than you
> think you need.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> After my Storage drive crashed a couple of days ago.. I now have the
>> responsibility of choosing another hard drive.. here are my specs.. not
>> sure if any quality hard drive would do or I have to purchase something
>> to go along with the rest of what I have?.. thanks Rainy
>>
>> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
>> Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
>>
>> Motherboard
>> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
>> Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
>> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
>> System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
>> BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
>> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>>
>> Display
>> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
>> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
>> Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)
>>
>> Multimedia
>> Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
>>
>> Storage
>> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
>> Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
>> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
>> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
>> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
>>
>> Partitions
>> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (9988 MB free)

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Hi OG.......glad to see you on here. All is well??

Cheers, Figgs

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> Your drive couldn't care less about the programs you have (or the specs of
> your PC).
> Just go for any recommended good brand - & buy the next size up than you
> think you need.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> After my Storage drive crashed a couple of days ago.. I now have the
>> responsibility of choosing another hard drive.. here are my specs.. not
>> sure if any quality hard drive would do or I have to purchase something
>> to go along with the rest of what I have?.. thanks Rainy
>>
>> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
>> Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
>>
>> Motherboard
>> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
>> Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
>> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
>> System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
>> BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
>> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>>
>> Display
>> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
>> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
>> Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)
>>
>> Multimedia
>> Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
>>
>> Storage
>> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
>> Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
>> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
>> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
>> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
>>
>> Partitions
>> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (9988 MB free)

The right number of pins, eh? Laptop hard drives and desktop hard drives
have a different number of pins, but it's unlikely you're going to
accidentally buy a laptop hard drive. Other than that, there are serial hard
drives, which are somewhat new, and have a completely different kind of
connector. Or SCSI hard drives, but it's really unlikely you'd find them on
a retail shelf.

Or you could buy an external hard drive that connects using USB or firewire,
but you're talking about fitting inside, so that's probably not what you're
after.

There are a multitude of other specs, but most people aren't very concerned
about them -- they just go to the local computer store, Wal-Mart, office
supply store, or whatever, and they buy the biggest hard drive they can find
for the cheapest price. And to be quite honest, that's usually sufficient.
If you were doing video editing or something else where hard drive access
time is critical, you would probably already know about the important hard
drive specs.

So, you want an IDE hard drive. Not serial (SATA). Whatever size you think
you need. Other than that, look at the warranty, if that's significant to
you. You'll find that they range from 1 to 5 years.

Rainy

Just buy a drive that is NOT 'SATA'..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
> Hi I was talking to my son who knows a little bit about this, and he said
> that the drive I buy has to have the right number of pins.. and there are
> other specs to be concerned about... I know nothing about this.. but don't
> want to go out and buy a drive to come home and find that it won't fit ..
> or it's the wrong type.. How do I find out what kind of hard drive I
> need.. Appreciate your answer but not sure I can buy just any old drive..
> :) I really need some help on this.. thanks Rainy
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> Your drive couldn't care less about the programs you have (or the specs
>> of your PC).
>> Just go for any recommended good brand - & buy the next size up than you
>> think you need.
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> After my Storage drive crashed a couple of days ago.. I now have the
>>> responsibility of choosing another hard drive.. here are my specs.. not
>>> sure if any quality hard drive would do or I have to purchase something
>>> to go along with the rest of what I have?.. thanks Rainy
>>>
>>> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>>> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
>>> Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
>>>
>>> Motherboard
>>> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
>>> Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
>>> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
>>> System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
>>> BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
>>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
>>> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>>>
>>> Display
>>> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
>>> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
>>> Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)
>>>
>>> Multimedia
>>> Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
>>>
>>> Storage
>>> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
>>> Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
>>> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
>>> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
>>> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
>>>
>>> Partitions
>>> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (9988 MB free)

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

thanks.. I will.. appreciate your input.. Rainy
> Rainy
>
> Just buy a drive that is NOT 'SATA'..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
>> Hi I was talking to my son who knows a little bit about this, and he said
>> that the drive I buy has to have the right number of pins.. and there are
>> other specs to be concerned about... I know nothing about this.. but
>> don't want to go out and buy a drive to come home and find that it won't
>> fit .. or it's the wrong type.. How do I find out what kind of hard drive
>> I need.. Appreciate your answer but not sure I can buy just any old
>> drive.. :) I really need some help on this.. thanks Rainy
>>
>> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>>> Your drive couldn't care less about the programs you have (or the specs
>>> of your PC).
>>> Just go for any recommended good brand - & buy the next size up than
>>> you think you need.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> johnf

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

HI.. thanks so much!! now I feel like I can go and ask for the right hard
drive, without appearing so uninformed! :) Now I know I need an IDE hard
drive that fits inside my computer.. that has a decent warranty for a very
low price. lol right? thanks so much.. appreciate this input.. Rainy ps.
will let my son know he's full of it.. in the nicest of possible ways! :)
although I can't be too hard on him, he was trying to help..

johnf

Mail U later kid :)

--

johnf

> Hi OG.......glad to see you on here. All is well??
>
> Cheers, Figgs
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> Your drive couldn't care less about the programs you have (or the
>> specs of your PC).
>> Just go for any recommended good brand - & buy the next size up than
>> you think you need.
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> After my Storage drive crashed a couple of days ago.. I now have the
>>> responsibility of choosing another hard drive.. here are my specs..
>>> not sure if any quality hard drive would do or I have to purchase
>>> something to go along with the rest of what I have?.. thanks Rainy
>>>
>>> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>>> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
>>> Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
>>>
>>> Motherboard
>>> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
>>> Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
>>> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
>>> System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
>>> BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/03)
>>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
>>> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>>>
>>> Display
>>> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
>>> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
>>> Monitor KDS Avitron AV-7TF (BAA37037966)
>>>
>>> Multimedia
>>> Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
>>>
>>> Storage
>>> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
>>> Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
>>> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x,
>>> DVD-ROM:12x, CD:32x/16x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
>>> Optical Drive ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (52x/24x CD-RW)
>>>
>>> Partitions
>>> C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (9988 MB free)