955 3.2 BE quad overclock HELP

richarda83

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I just picked up a 3.2 955 amd BE quad processor and paired it with a 785udh gigabyte board. Everything runs wicked fast and I love it. i simply went into bios and changed the multiplier to 18.5. getting around 34c stable and prime is showing 60c. Everything else is set to auto in the bios and I was wondering if I manually change these will i get better temperaturs. I currently have a coolermaster v8 cooler on it with the case open and i put the case side back on but nothign changed temeperatur wise. i have a pretty generic case. Anyhow, i heard that if changed the multiplier the auto settings will change the voltages etc. I hear of people get his 20's stable and mid 40 on load. are my auto voltage settings causing me to get a lil hotter load temperatures?? I did prime95 for a few hours and under load it stayed at 60c. Once i go back to stable it goes to 33-35c.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
So many factors could be causing your heat to be different from his. Everything from case and it's air flow to cable managment to even just his chip vs yours.

60c under load is still completely reasonable. I'd say if you're not planning on pushing the system a lot harder then you are now (which judging by the everything runs wicked fast you don't need to) everything is running fine. :D

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Thats Completely Normal, I Wouldnt Worry About 60C Temps Arent Bad Especially During A Prime 95 Run. Under Normal Conditions It Prolly Wont Even Get THAT Hot.

My Current Athlon X2 (With A 600MHz OC) Runs Hotter Than That (Hotter At Max Load Than Yours, Allthough Slightly Lower At Idle) Under Prime95 And I Havent Had Any Stability Issues So Your All Good Man.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hmm...seems like mine runs cooler...my phenom II X4 B50 @3.8Gh gets around 56C maximum on load and idles around 30C...I also have a V8 and an Antec 900 Two case...
Maybe it's the case, or maybe it's your heat paste...you could try repasting your CPU...
Although you don't have much too worry about because you are just a bit below the dangerous temp.
The Max safe temp for these is 62C for the B50 (the 550 when locked cores) is fortunately 70C.
Although basically these are the same chips so I don't see why the max temps are different...
I would repast/reseat the cpu cooler and check if your cable management is good...
What voltage do you run at? my stock voltage for the B50 is 1.325 my friends 955's stock voltage is 1.4V I believe...
Try seeing what the lowest voltage you can set it to without making it unstable...
Ok this is getting kinda long...lol...
Hope this helps... ;)

richarda83

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

the stock voltage is 1.4, i heard that pro OC's do all manual settings whereas all my voltage settings are auto and i just adjusted the multiplier. i think my temps are fine as my case is a crappo and i will be getting an antec 900 so i imagine when i do my temps will drop a few. im just wondering (i know I need to continuing learning) but if fixing my voltages will make it solid instead of the auto voltages adjusting? i turned off thermal control so i dont know too much about that feature on gigabytes. but i think maybe ill turn my cpu voltage down a little bit and see what happens. i hear other people changing their NB frequency etc. so im wondering if i need to up those settings at all and turn down the multiplier or what i dont know... any help is appreciated thanks!

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I haven't messed around with the NB frequency yet but I will later to see what it does...you can use the multiplier to overclock after all it's made for that...don't worry about using fsb unless you're going for the record overclocks...and I would recommend manually setting the voltage...Find the right voltage for you...one that's stable at the clock speeds you run but not too high and keep it at that...