BUILD ME A COMPUTER FOR TRADING ( FUTURES/EQUITIES )

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I have tried to do it myself but I am a moron with A.D.D. and can not afford to make minor mistakes to jeopardize the performance

Requirements:

1. Windows XP 32bit ( I kind of want 64bit but from what I understand they are completely different OS?????? )

2. Need at least 4gigs ( That kind of contradicts the 32bit as I believe it only supports up to 3gigs.... Enlighten me )

3. CPU needs to be an Intel ---- Not sure if I should go with Xenon Duo/Quad or just normal Duo/Quad ( I have mixed reviews, most say it depends on the platform but I am sure you guys will point me to the right direction )

From what I have read I can go easy on a video card as I will not be playing any games - THE ONLY THING THAT I WILL USE THIS COMP FOR IS TO RUN A TRADING PLATFORM - THAT IS IT.... I have another computer and laptop to do google'ing etc etc etc

That being said I know it is going to be a long shot to try and find someone familiar with this but it is worth a try ---

I HAVE PAYPAL AND WOULD NOT MIND PAYING IN ADVANCE - Go to www.tradingcomputers.com to see how those strokes overprice their products by at least 2k lol

Best wishes,

Pwn

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
OH YEA AND IT ALSO NEEDS TO SUPPORT FOUR 24INCH HP W2408H SCREENS, BUT AS I MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY I HAVE READ THAT I CAN BUDGET THE VIDEO CARDS AS I WILL NOT BE GAMMING

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Heck while your at it if you can also build me a trading laptop that would be pretty player too... Like I said I have paypal and would not mind paying in advance

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hi Pwn,

you need a mobo with 2 PCI 16 slots (16 chan size but if only 4 pipes work that will be okay) for 2 graphics cards each with 2 outs - this isnt hard to find and wont cost too much. As you same the GOPU power is not that important if not gaming.

most mobos will have 4 x dimm sockets so 4GB of RAM no problem 8GB if you want it.

CPU wise, you'll probably end up with 775 socket mobo so I'd say go quad if your going to be running stuff to fill 4 screens.

whats the budget? other requirments? storage?

V

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
there are other ways of getting 3+ monitors but if its just 4 you want and not 5+ this is normaly the cheaper and more stable way

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
No budget - I want a bad bad bish :) hehe ---- Just no overkill, I do not mind paying for higher performing parts - Go ahead and overkill the case a little because I want something cool to look at lol

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
My phone number is 815 2581598 - Call me ..... I trade from 3am to 3pm and usually go to bed at 4pm'ish. This is all central time so try to keep it between those hours

If you are in NYC it's problematic, but if it's elsewhere I suggest you find a reputable small business that services offices. There tends to be one in almost every mid-sized town.

Why?

SERVICE - no one here is going to give you the support you need, or warranty.

I have reviewed your needs. They are not much different than a gaming rig actually, except that the two video cards will not be linked and can be less powerful.

Those guys at the linked site are behind the times. Vista 64 has been rock stable for several months, and 4 or even 8GB RAM would be a boon for you.

They do not even include a simple redundancy array for your data, or an integrated back-up system. They are overclocking their CPUs... that's quite questionable. Your idea of dual Xeons on a server board is not unreasonable, but probably not needed.

A P45 chipset and a single quad core would likely be all you need... Something like a Q9650, or better yet wait two-three weeks if you can and get the new Intel i7 CPU.

Get a local company with local support to build for you.

Oh, and bling and flash is no problem. See my sig for parts recommendations if you want to look at cases or whatnot.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
I would recomend 2 of these in a P45 mobo running a quad core processor:

SAPPHIRE 100237L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102725

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
MSI P7N Diamond LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard with SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Audio
http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/AddToCart.aspx?Submit=ADD&ItemList=Combo.127413

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Wow you guys just give out information on what is needed to build this thing?! Thanks!!! What really surprises me is I understood your comment - I have done research and already know what a p45 motherboard is and you are basically saying to install 2 sapphire video cards in it, along with a quad core CPU/Processor and g.skill 4GB of Ram! - Wow I just surprised myself, nice!

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
liquid cooling is only for overclocking and showing off to your mates, if you dont want either of those then no point :) it's also higher maintinance.

Case
antec 1200 maybe

mobo
Asus P5Q's good price and performance

CPU
probably look at one of the higher quads 9550 if the price isnt too bad

RAM
lots off good options, personaly I like the OCZ high range stuff but probably best to cover that once mobo and CPU are picked out

GPUS
9600s will do you fine - plenty of power at about £60 a throw

PSU
antec signature 650 or 850
enermax galaxy
termaltake throughpower

HD(s)
seagate or WD (size depending on what your saving)
you may want to consider RAID 1 if this is to be a work PC

slomo4sho

Distinguished
The mobo provides plenty of flexibility and has full RAID support. If you know how to build a machine then I recommend trying to build it yourself.

There are other graphic cards available at a higher cost but since you stated that your not a gamer and you obviously wont be running any kind of CAD program, its better to stay away from the higher priced workstation GPUs.

And btw, information is always free :)

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Wow thank you for contributing! Money is no option and I am ready to build the best of the best ( For trading that is )...... That being said I am ready for TOP OF THE LINE stuff! ( Where needed that is - For example top of the line CPU/Processor - Hard Drive - Ram ---- Things of that nature that will help better the performance on my single platform that I will be using

Best wishes,

Pwn

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

No chit? The guy at my local " custom built computers privately owned shop " told me it will not be coming out until the 2nd quarter of the next year! Mind you he said he is going to charge me a 500 dollar build fee..... lol ( Maybe he will get the last laugh as I am not sure what going rates for something like this is )

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Just seen your edit - Yea I was looking at that CPU/Processor but I thought XENON was the best? Why do they not sell it?

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Sorry buddy I overlooked your comment - Thank you for the information I will def. not take it for granted --- Problem with that is my local shop is filled with a bunch of scammers.... I take pride in my gift of knowing a BS'er when I see one and these people are just that - Nothing short of a legal way to rip people off

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
A normal office PC with the ability to support more than one monitor is fine.
The Bloomberg Terminal I'm using is just on a Dell Latitude D610 with an extended display on to a 22" monitor.

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Good stuff! I have no idea how in the world you found that as I have been searching xenon on newegg for the past 30 min and trying to google why no one sells it lol..... Anyway regarding the OS, people on my trading forum recommend 32bit because they say the 64bit is a completely different OS??...... I don't know how that could be but they said something about driver errors.... Have any thoughts?

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Well Vista is quite different from XP... but you can get vista in either 32 or 64bit.

In my opinion, both OSs have their benefits and flaws. But if you do decide to switch from XP to Vista, the transition is quite manageable :p

I doubt any of your trading software would have an issue with Vista 64, but perhaps it's a possibility. You could check with the SW vendors. Most of what you do is simply HTML and XML based I imagine, and that has no OS dependency.

As far as it being a "Different OS" ... In technical terms yes, the kernels are quite different. In usage terms... not much difference for most users. Some changes in security and look, but basic organization changes slowly with MS. If you could operate in Win98 you could jump to XP. If you could operate in XP you can jump to Vista.

pwn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Yea I am a day trader - With me I use a lot of TA ( Technical Analysts ) - So I have charts, indicators, oscillators, overlay, etc etc up all the time.... Actually in the end you are right, I am sure I will do just fine with a normal office PC as the computer will not make me any more or less money. In the end I would rather spend an extra couple thousand and have the satisfaction of knowing my computer was built to straight do work! :)......

Put it like this - What if just once just one time that normal office PC takes a poop in the middle of a trade when I needed to make a split decision move - Things like that could never be predicted and even with me spending all this money it still could happen, but I would rather take my chances with a computer that could power NASA then some mainstream brand with a " warranty " :) ---