Sign in with
Your question

Can a 9800 GTX sli with a 9800 GTX+ ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2008 6:26:50 AM

Howdy...Happy thanksgiving! :bounce:  Just got my 9800 GTX's I ordered from newegg ( refurb) and one was DOA. I got return auth. and got to looking on the web and found our local Fry's had them in stock...so I headed off to buy one. After looking at them in the store it looks like the ones that I got from newegg are gtx+ 's....huge case ..but they are marked GTX's. So to replace the DOA one I got a GTX+. Just in case IM wrong, and these really are just gtx's... can I sli the gtx with the gtx+ ?
Thanks! Tim

More about : 9800 gtx sli 9800 gtx

November 27, 2008 7:04:45 AM

The GTX+ was only a die-shrink enabling higher clocks if i remember correctly. You should plug the GTX into the first PCIe1 and the GTX+ into PCIe2 so the faster card gets clocked down to GTX level. While i don't know for a fact that it works, i do think it should work.
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2008 7:37:50 AM

Slobogob said:
The GTX+ was only a die-shrink enabling higher clocks if i remember correctly. You should plug the GTX into the first PCIe1 and the GTX+ into PCIe2 so the faster card gets clocked down to GTX level. While i don't know for a fact that it works, i do think it should work.

I believe thats with ATi cards, unsure about nvidia cards tho, wait for a pro to comment on this one ;) 
Related resources
November 27, 2008 8:18:20 AM

apache_lives said:
I believe thats with ATi cards, unsure about nvidia cards tho, wait for a pro to comment on this one ;) 

I just took a short look at the nvidia page and they simply lack a chart with cards that are compatible. The only thing i found was a list with cards that can do sli.
November 27, 2008 11:17:24 AM

well if youve already got both cards, try it and let us know if it works, GTX in slot 1, GTX+ in slot 2.
November 28, 2008 2:00:26 AM

Thanks! OK... Newbie SLI 101 question... which slot is #1 and which is #2 ? :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
November 28, 2008 6:12:15 AM

cessnac182golf said:
Thanks! OK... Newbie SLI 101 question... which slot is #1 and which is #2 ? :pt1cable: 

first slot it always the highest/closest to the cpu

i dont see why either slot would matter ie why one card should go in first slot when they supposed to be matching cards etc
November 28, 2008 6:19:50 AM

100% yeppers it will work!

slot #1 is the one closest to the northbridge... (dont ask what the northbridge or i will go emo :lol: ) and the second is the one closest again to that...

a question that may sound stupid, do you actually have an sli mobo or..
November 28, 2008 1:06:04 PM

Thanks! Naturally I have them in backwards right now...so ...... back on goes the anti static strap! :D  Thanks! Tim
November 29, 2008 9:34:34 AM

Quote:
a question that may sound stupid, do you actually have an sli mobo or..

:lol:  If he comes back with an "I only have 1 brown slot" I'm going to crap myself...

I've read on other sites that this method is exactly how you do it, so the 2nd card will downclock itself as needed, and it should work with no problem.
Hope he post back to verify...
November 29, 2008 5:50:31 PM

Thanks everyone.........up and running great..... but :cry:  I still would like to be able to see some even faster frame rates with FSX... or at least be able to set the traffic sliders all the way to the right with medium high on everything else. Heard the Q6600 overclocks well. Wonder if I took it up to 3.0 ( sounds like a piece of cake after reading the how to... GULP ... :o  ) if it would help.
Thanks!! Tim
November 29, 2008 10:17:05 PM

you have both cards in but is SLI enabled? there are 3 different rendering modes to choose from as well. you might see which one works best on the games you play most.
November 30, 2008 5:43:56 PM

Yes there is sli mode. 3 renderings.... are you talking about the performance settings...ie quality, bal, and perf? I also did some tests this morning on my system....I still have a funny feeling about the one of the 2 9800 GTX's that I got from newegg...the first one being DOA.....and now I have figured out that this re-certif. 9800 GTX is really a down clocked + . That is why it is the same size as the new 9800GTX+ that I purchased. I installed each one by itself again and noted frame rates on FSX in the same test zone i picked. The real wierd thing is that the frame rates were higher with the lower clocked re-furb card than the new + card. And I also tried my 2 9600GT's sli ( was packing these to sell to a forum member and thought I would give them a test) and they are just as fast as the sli'd 9800 GTX re-furb in slot one and the new GTX+ in slot 2 sli'd. Maybe they are having a hard time sli ing together. How do you tell?
Tried crysis and all run it flat out. What should I use as a test? Nvidia has a bunch of download demos. Thanks! Tim
a c 191 U Graphics card
November 30, 2008 5:58:09 PM

FSX is a poor graphics benchmarking tool! It is very dependant on the CPU, Even super-fast cards can give poor framerates if paired with a less than potent CPU.
Crysis has been well optomised for Nvidia hardware and seems to work well with SLI, what other new(er) games do you have to test with?
November 30, 2008 6:02:54 PM

2 Different GPUs it won't work. From all my experiences :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2008 11:03:36 PM

cessnac182golf said:
Yes there is sli mode. 3 renderings.... are you talking about the performance settings...ie quality, bal, and perf? I also did some tests this morning on my system....I still have a funny feeling about the one of the 2 9800 GTX's that I got from newegg...the first one being DOA.....and now I have figured out that this re-certif. 9800 GTX is really a down clocked + . That is why it is the same size as the new 9800GTX+ that I purchased. I installed each one by itself again and noted frame rates on FSX in the same test zone i picked. The real wierd thing is that the frame rates were higher with the lower clocked re-furb card than the new + card. And I also tried my 2 9600GT's sli ( was packing these to sell to a forum member and thought I would give them a test) and they are just as fast as the sli'd 9800 GTX re-furb in slot one and the new GTX+ in slot 2 sli'd. Maybe they are having a hard time sli ing together. How do you tell?
Tried crysis and all run it flat out. What should I use as a test? Nvidia has a bunch of download demos. Thanks! Tim

Matched cards are the best bet

Nvidia 9800GTX and 9800GTX+ - my shop has seen a pathetic 50% sucess rate after even a week, if that - stopped ordering large ammounts because of it, from both ASUS and MSI, good one nivida.

8800GT/GTS512/9600GT/9800GTX etc - all esentially the same cards, dont expect leaps from any of em, and your cpu may limit you eg hit a point where you gain no performance hence why 9600 SLI vs 9800 SLI appears to have no gain - you double your video card memory/performance, your not doubling your sytem eg CPU, RAM, fsb bottleknecks, etc - why i dont see SLI and an option, not worth it.
December 1, 2008 10:28:19 PM

Thanks! I agree with you........ no leaps for sure. Wish I had got the faster quad chip. Going to try to take my q6600 to 3.0. I have great cooling and am adding more. Thanks everyone again! Tim :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2008 12:18:33 AM

cessnac182golf said:
Thanks! I agree with you........ no leaps for sure. Wish I had got the faster quad chip. Going to try to take my q6600 to 3.0. I have great cooling and am adding more. Thanks everyone again! Tim :pt1cable: 

i got my Q6600 G0 @ 3.5ghz - even at 3ghz is still plenty of power and will definitly help performance etc - go for it!
!