arkaon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, Im getting ready to build a new gaming rig (In March 09) and I was personally going to grab an AMD like my previous Proc.

However, after spending about 25+ hours browsing this site at work. It would appear that the i7 is performing much better.

I'm just wondering though if all that performance gain in the i7's is due to the fact that the new AMD's are meant to be OC'd and are therefore shipped at lower rating. Or if the i7 is just really doing that much better.

Pico_w

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
There won't be much difference from Gaming between a PII and i7. The i7 is a lot faster in video rendering stuff , but it is similar in performance with the PII in gaming.

Check these combos for PII.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16819103472&SubCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471&SubCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

Choose a deal that fits you and get a Radeon 4870 1GB for moderate gaming.

Pico_w

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
:D Who needs dual when the quads at a similar price range can overclock to 3.5+Ghz which relieves all the CPU bottlenecks.

arkaon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Though I would agree that If I am going to game an i7 isnt the best. I was wanting a quad.

I do alot of multi-tasking and will also be using the computer as a Media machine.

Alot of the computer will be me using it to game and my wife using it to watch hi-def video footage for work. (She works in the film industry)

Which is why I was leaning towards an i7. For this reason, I wont be able to SLi and unless Cross fire supports dual screening while enabled. I will be limited to one GPU.

arkaon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah, there will be some 3D requirements.

CF can multi screen while enabled? lolwut.

I was unaware that CrossFire was able to support Multi Monitor Setups While utilizing both of the video cards.

Not while enabled, but its easy to turn it off. If youre in the need of using both at the same time, then no, it wont. But, since youre encoding , Id suggest i7, as its surely the best at that

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Intel i7 should be faster in most things if not all. However, I don't think you use computer at 100% cpu usage on 4 cores at all time.

Cheaper alternative probably will do the job done just as good. Just imagine if you drive a ferrari which can reach 300km/hr at ease while your wife drive a ford... lets say capable of doing 200km/hr MAX. On your everyday use of the car, chances are both of you will never drive any of the car above 150km/hr.

It took me a while to decide between i7 vs PII vs C2Q. I end up going for PII due to the processor is enough for my use and giving me the ability to upgrade without changing new mobo and ram say in 2-3 years time. I'd love to go with i7, but I can't justify the price increase. With C2Q, performance are pretty similar to PII, but the future upgrade seems unlikely.

After all, money is yours... spend at whatever make you happy. :)

Pico_w

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Intel Core i7 rocks at encoding. Are you encoding videos a lot? If not a Phenom II should do fine. The reason I didn't say anything about the Q9550 is because the price for it is $282 on newegg whereas the Phenom II is $195 and $235. The phenoms with the combos are more affordable.

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
For C2Q vs PII comparison, it seems many people do not look at the future upgrade sort of thing.

Unless if you changed the whole thing when you upgrade, then C2Q is also a good option. Else, PII will definitely save you more when you need to upgrade in the future.

arkaon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
So really what you are all saying is I would be better off with the i7 for multitasking apps and the PII is better for gaming..

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
@arkaon,

I think they all are good enough to get the job done. You got what you paid for. You definitely get a faster system with i7, but will you buy a ferrari when other alternatives will get you there at about the same time but cheaper. The ferrari obviously more shiny and all.

When you are encoding video every little advantage helps. With an i7 you will spend alot less time encoding, but of course it's gonna cost you some extra money. If you are mostly going to game it would probably be better to go with the Phenom II to save some money and put towards other components. As far as watching hi-def videos there won't really be any difference as far as your viewing experience.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I think everyone here knows what the best processor is... it's only when VALUE is introduced into the equation that the lines become blurred. The price of a Phenom II system (cheap memory, cheap mobo, relatively cheap processor) make a convincing case... especially for people who already have AM2+ systems.