Need general information about PDAs

April 21, 2005 4:04:26 PM

I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
recommendations on specific makes and models?

-Jonathan
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:11:50 PM

If you are going to ask the same question in multiple groups, please
post to all the groups at once, so we can all participate together. I
answered your question in comp.sys.handhelds.

On 21 Apr 2005 12:04:26 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:

>I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
>sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
>recommendations on specific makes and models?
>
>-Jonathan

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
April 24, 2005 3:09:50 PM

A lot of people don't like cross-posted messages and don't respond to
them. That's why I posted separately to each group.

-Jonathan

r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote in message news:<6sii611u6crace6u8s3p6dqg8giemre6ag@4ax.com>...
> If you are going to ask the same question in multiple groups, please
> post to all the groups at once, so we can all participate together. I
> answered your question in comp.sys.handhelds.
>
> On 21 Apr 2005 12:04:26 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:
>
> >I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
> >sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
> >recommendations on specific makes and models?
> >
> >-Jonathan

> To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
>
> Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
> PenFact, Inc.
> 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
> Boston, MA 02118
> www.penfact.com
April 24, 2005 10:17:56 PM

On 24 Apr 2005 11:09:50 -0700, Jonathan
<jfklein@shaw.ca> wrote:
> A lot of people don't like cross-posted messages and don't respond to
> them. That's why I posted separately to each group.
>
> -Jonathan

Separate identical posts to multiple groups are worse than
cross-posting.

--
"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realized that I
need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file

Is that the opinion of newsgroup users in general or just yours?

Bill Marcum <bmarcum@iglou.com.urgent> wrote in message news:<khitj2-mnd.ln1@don.localnet>...
> On 24 Apr 2005 11:09:50 -0700, Jonathan
> <jfklein@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > A lot of people don't like cross-posted messages and don't respond to
> > them. That's why I posted separately to each group.
> >
> > -Jonathan
>
> Separate identical posts to multiple groups are worse than
> cross-posting.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:13:33 PM

On 25 Apr 2005 08:57:38 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:

>Is that the opinion of newsgroup users in general or just yours?

I've seen several other folks post notes like mine about posting to
all newsgroups at once. Once in a while, I've seen a complaint about
_excessive_ cross posting, especially when some of the groups are
inappropriate. Your reply is the first time I've seen anyone question
the suggestion to post simultaneously. I hope that doesn't mean folks
with contrary opinions feel inhibited. I think it means folks either
agree or don't care much. I'm genuinely curious about where you got
the idea that cross-posting simultaneously is unwanted.

Quite a few newsgroup denizens have strong opinions. At least some of
us try to state our preferences, but live with those of others. Some
folks get verbally abusive. And some folks simply ignore folks whose
behavior they don't like. No one can possibly satisfy everyone. With a
little practice, you'll find an approach that works for you.

>Bill Marcum <bmarcum@iglou.com.urgent> wrote in message news:<khitj2-mnd.ln1@don.localnet>...
>> On 24 Apr 2005 11:09:50 -0700, Jonathan
>> <jfklein@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> > A lot of people don't like cross-posted messages and don't respond to
>> > them. That's why I posted separately to each group.
>> >
>> > -Jonathan
>>
>> Separate identical posts to multiple groups are worse than
>> cross-posting.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:26:26 AM

Here in comp.sys.palmtops, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com spake unto us, saying:

>I'm genuinely curious about where you got the idea that cross-posting
>simultaneously is unwanted.

Speaking for myself -- a properly crossposted message is stored once in
my local news database (since it only has one unique message ID), and
it is automagically marked as read when I see the first occurrence.

A message which is posted individually to multiple groups (a practice
often referred to as "multiposting") is stored once for each group that
I read, and I have to see each copy and mark it "read" again even if
I've read it already.

I dislike multiposting for the above reasons. It's wasteful.

Crossposting has generally been frowned upon also if done to extremes,
but there are times when it's quite legimate.

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.