Passwords no longer work.

September 18, 2005 12:24:26 AM

Running XP Pro on a HP Compaq nx9010 .

The two existing user names passwords no longer work, simply bring up an
error message asking if you have forgotten your password. This notebook
was showing signs of having viruses/worms/trojans & I was going back in
to start a clean up when this problem started. Starting in Safe Mode
brings up an administrator as well as the two non-working user names but
to the best of my knowledge there hasn't ever been an administrator in
use. Have tried just hitting enter in case the password was blank but
got same error message as for others.

In these circumstances do I have to reformat and start again or is there
some way of gaining access to enable a clean up and reset the passwords?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Echy

More about : passwords longer work

September 18, 2005 12:24:27 AM

Echy wrote:

> Running XP Pro on a HP Compaq nx9010 .
>
> The two existing user names passwords no longer work, simply bring up
> an error message asking if you have forgotten your password. This
> notebook was showing signs of having viruses/worms/trojans & I was
> going back in to start a clean up when this problem started. Starting
> in Safe Mode brings up an administrator as well as the two non-working
> user names but to the best of my knowledge there hasn't ever been an
> administrator in use. Have tried just hitting enter in case the
> password was blank but got same error message as for others.
>
> In these circumstances do I have to reformat and start again or is
> there some way of gaining access to enable a clean up and reset the
> passwords?

Since you apparently don't have the Administrator password (assigned
when the system was first set up and/or possibly changed later), you
can use the free NTpasswd program to change the Administrator password
to a blank. Then you'll be able to logon and change passwords as you
desire. Of course, you should also make sure your computer is clean.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ - NTpasswd

Removing Malware:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Good advice from Malke, but note that the inability to log in to any account
is most often a result of serious registry damage. If you are not able to
get in after trying those steps, that is the probable cause. In that case,
be sure to run chkdsk /r after reinstalling.
--

"Echy" <acuhcewrongone@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Running XP Pro on a HP Compaq nx9010 .
>
> The two existing user names passwords no longer work, simply bring up an
> error message asking if you have forgotten your password. This notebook
> was showing signs of having viruses/worms/trojans & I was going back in to
> start a clean up when this problem started. Starting in Safe Mode brings
> up an administrator as well as the two non-working user names but to the
> best of my knowledge there hasn't ever been an administrator in use. Have
> tried just hitting enter in case the password was blank but got same error
> message as for others.
>
> In these circumstances do I have to reformat and start again or is there
> some way of gaining access to enable a clean up and reset the passwords?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Echy
Related resources
January 21, 2006 2:19:43 PM

Hi,

In your situation the tool that can really solve your problem is Active@ password changer. This utility is capable of quickly resetting your forgotten password. That helped me much before, so I recommend you trying it too. I'm sure you won't regret it.

http://www.password-changer.com/
February 4, 2006 2:36:12 PM

Looks like a nice little utility that does what the first two suggestions were and costs $40 more...

Note, the free demo of that software does not allow for password reset.
February 7, 2006 1:39:07 PM

There's always an Administrator account... it just never shows up on the Welcome screen unless you're in Safe Mode. If you can log into the Administrator account (XP Pro will prompt you for an Administrator password when setting it up... if you left it blank, it should let you in without one), you can remove the passwords from the other accounts with no extra software. This is of course provided that the malware hasn't done anything to prevent it.
!