Mouse, taskbar and desktop icons have disappeared

thryciuk

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hi,

Recently my mouse, taskbar and desktop icons have disappeared from my screen. All it shows is the desktop wallpaper. I can boot into safe mode no problem.

If you need more information please ask away.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Boot up regularly and see if you can get into Task Manager. The problem is explorer.exe isn't running or got corrupted somehow. See if it is listed in task manager (assuming you can get into it) and post back with results.

thryciuk

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Sorry forgot to mention I am unable to get into task manager. I am wondering if it has something to do with the dual display settings? I only have one monitor but seems like it is set for two. I don't have another monitor to test it with either.

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
That's probaly it then. Boot into safe mode and go to device manager, remove your monitor and graphics card, then boot back up in regular Windows and it should detect the real hardware and set it up accordingly, then let me know how that goes.

thryciuk

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Sorry I got called away for work. This did work though:

Boot into safe mode and go to device manager, remove your monitor and graphics card, then boot back up in regular Windows and it should detect the real hardware and set it up accordingly, then let me know how that goes.

Thanks again for the help!