Can I use this older Zalman on my current DIY build?

I still have an unused Zalman CNPS7700 cooler from a socket 478 project. This model also lists socket 775 as a fit. I will be building a i7 (920) machine and I am NOT planning to OC the rig. I would never risk my components for $25 but I thought it was worth asking everyone if you think this round flower-style array of copper petals with the big fann in the center would do enough cooling.

I sent Zalman a message on their request system asking if a mounting bracket kit was available for the LGA1366.

I will have this i7 on an ATX mobo inside a Cooler Master haf932 case. I had planned to put an extra fan or two in the case skin, anyway.

No heroic measures like water cooling. Sounds like an interesting diversion for a build project but I have to get the computer up and running in my short Spring session vacation - with a minimum of hassle. (That Honda radiator idea mentioned in a recent forum post is just so cool, though...)

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

jonathan7007
5 answers Last reply
More about older zalman current build
  1. Without a separat mounting bracket it will be pretty hard to get it to fit in there. It would take a great deal of work to design a mounting aystem for it. I would reccomend going with a new cooler instead. How about the core contact freezer... it is extremely cheap and is in the top ten for best coolers.
  2. Get a bigger cooler you will need more metal on that beast to cool it. Dont skimp on that you will kick yourself later if you dont. Go out and buy a quality cooler you spending 300 on a cpu u can afford 50 atleast for a nice cooler.
  3. Core Contact Freezer +1

or

Hyper 212+

both coolers under 40.00$ (top 10)

ditch the zalman =)
  4. Here is a link to a very good web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks that will help you make an informed decision:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the Google embedded search feature at the web site to find more information about heatsinks for specific cpu sockets.
  5. Thanks everyone. Yup, if the consensus is that the Zalman will not dissipate enough heat I'd be glad to mount a more effective cooler. I saw replacement kits for coolers out there so hoped that the Zalman people had created something similar. No answer from them yet, but it's moot because I will get another cooler.

...everything ordered and on the way now for the project. Looking forward to the results.

jonathan7007
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Zalman Do It Yourself Overclocking