Sign in with
Your question

Can I use this older Zalman on my current DIY build?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2010 3:03:25 AM

I still have an unused Zalman CNPS7700 cooler from a socket 478 project. This model also lists socket 775 as a fit. I will be building a i7 (920) machine and I am NOT planning to OC the rig. I would never risk my components for $25 but I thought it was worth asking everyone if you think this round flower-style array of copper petals with the big fann in the center would do enough cooling.

I sent Zalman a message on their request system asking if a mounting bracket kit was available for the LGA1366.

I will have this i7 on an ATX mobo inside a Cooler Master haf932 case. I had planned to put an extra fan or two in the case skin, anyway.

No heroic measures like water cooling. Sounds like an interesting diversion for a build project but I have to get the computer up and running in my short Spring session vacation - with a minimum of hassle. (That Honda radiator idea mentioned in a recent forum post is just so cool, though...)

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

jonathan7007
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2010 3:10:47 AM

Without a separat mounting bracket it will be pretty hard to get it to fit in there. It would take a great deal of work to design a mounting aystem for it. I would reccomend going with a new cooler instead. How about the core contact freezer... it is extremely cheap and is in the top ten for best coolers.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2010 3:12:17 AM

Get a bigger cooler you will need more metal on that beast to cool it. Dont skimp on that you will kick yourself later if you dont. Go out and buy a quality cooler you spending 300 on a cpu u can afford 50 atleast for a nice cooler.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2010 5:20:06 AM

Core Contact Freezer +1

or

Hyper 212+

both coolers under 40.00$ (top 10)

ditch the zalman =)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2010 3:33:33 PM

Here is a link to a very good web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks that will help you make an informed decision:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the Google embedded search feature at the web site to find more information about heatsinks for specific cpu sockets.
m
l
February 28, 2010 12:03:47 AM

Thanks everyone. Yup, if the consensus is that the Zalman will not dissipate enough heat I'd be glad to mount a more effective cooler. I saw replacement kits for coolers out there so hoped that the Zalman people had created something similar. No answer from them yet, but it's moot because I will get another cooler.

...everything ordered and on the way now for the project. Looking forward to the results.

jonathan7007
m
l
!