AMD Athlon 5000 Air Coolling advice

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
ok, i need to know if im coolling my PC right or not. this is the case i have. (just a cheap one that holds lots of fans)
http://www.pccasegear.com/UserFiles/cm590big.jpg

my fans are like this

Intake
side panel
120mm cooling the northbridge and PCI
80mm blowing air directly at the CPU fan. (i dont think it should have it like this)

front panel
120mm cooling the hdd cage and sends a nice current toward the mobo

other side panel (behind the mobo
open slot, this could fit a thin fan at 80mm i think but putting a power cord through there wont work to well.
i put my hand next to it and i feel nothing so i think i should just leave it.

rear
PSU sits on the bottom and cools through a opening in the bottom of the case. (it pulls air up from under the case and vents out the back, kind of cool but i have to keep my desk dusted like crazy, putting it on a carpet is out of the question
Exhaust fan fulls air out (120mm)

one fan in the rear pulling air out above the CPU (80mm)

i think im pretty good except the side panel 80mm fan might contradict the CPU fan as they are blowing into each other.
core temp says my AMD 5000 oced at 2.8 is idling at 40C (in core temp i have it offset by 20, because reviewers said it runs at 40C idle on stock cooler) and on orthos stress after 20min it is at a high of 65. im going to get a new cooler and some arctic silver but should i move the 80mm side fan to the top as exhaust fan or even an intake fan.

thanks for any input and id like some suggestions on a new heatsink from newegg.com

Looks good.
PSU: you could have the PSU pull air from the case and exhaust it out the back.
The CPU fan should be blowing air down on the CPU, so the extra airflow does not hurt.
What is the temperature of the CPU without offset?

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

when i installed core temp and did not fiddle with anything it said it was 20C idle and 45-50 load. bios said it as 40C idle every time... so ya, but thats a good idea to put the PSU right side up and do that, it would help alot,
How much heat can a PSU take, the air in the case isnt that hot so it shouldnt be a problem