What do I need most?

far004

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
My PC specs:

Mobo: Intel G33FB
Processor: Intel E4500 2.2Ghz(800 FSB)
RAM: Corsair XMS2-DHX 800MHz Bus(5-5-5-18)
HDD: Western Digital 250 GB SATA
Monitor: ViewSonic VA1928WM LCD
Power Supply: 400W (Some local company)
Graphics Card: None :( (Using integrated graphics)

So, what do I need most? What should I replace or buy?

Lets say I have a budget of $200.

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
What's the purpose of this system? If you're wanting to play games then a graphics card upgrade is in order. :D

EDIT:

Beat me to it. That's what I get for leaving the tab open for ~10 minutes without even reading the OP. :pfff:

If you want to play games, you'll need a better GPU. If you want a better GPU, you'll probably need a better PSU.
How much RAM do you have? If only 1GB, get another 1GB stick.
Without knowing the games you want to play, something like an HD4670 would be good for the GPU. One of the Antec Earthwatts PSUs would be good there and not cost an arm and a leg. Those plus the RAM (even if you have to buy a pair of 1GB sticks) will easily fit in a $200 budget.

far004

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I have 1Gbx2. A total of 2GB.
I am not living in the US, so, newegg is not an option.
I am using this computer mainly for reading documents, preparing assignments, watching movies and surfing internet(Main Use).
Yes I also like to play a few games, although I am not a hardcore gamer.

For one thing, you could spend your $200 on a 22" widescreen monitor. That would help with all those activities.

You could also get a dedicated video card. Nothing too fancy or expensive, so you don't spend much and so you don't need a new power supply. I'm thinking of something like HD 4670 for example. Any game that you can already use with integrated graphics will still work, of course, and some will look better or run more smoothly. Even better, there are games like Sim Societies that refuse to install on integrated graphics but become accessible if you have a card like that.

More disk space, maybe?

2 GB of RAM is plenty for Word/movies/Web surfing, so that part is OK.

far004

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Well I have bought this LCD Monitor just yesterday, so I cant go for a 22". I t cost me around $200 here!. A 22" LCD was around $270-300, so I didnt go for it.
Computer stuff is a lot more expensive here.

The problem I am facing is that if I buy a good graphics card, I need to buy a good Power supply as well. So, it goes out of my budget range.
And I have felt that I really do need a good graphics card coz I played FIFA and NHL and the graphics were just unacceptable. The players have all kinds of edges and very odd shape.

I wanted to go for 9800GT. But it alone costs $200 here. And I definitely need a good power supply for that.

I have 250GB HDD and I am feeling that I definitely need more.

I am in a total fix! Help me friends!

Well you gave us a budget in $, is that Canadian, Australian, what?

If you're a gamer then your next upgrade has to be the video card. The best bang for the buck these days is HD 4850. ATI recommends a 450W PSU for it. Your 400W PSU should be enough anyway IMO, since you have a single HDD and you don't have an overclocked quad.