Should I wait for the i7 Launch

tey112

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I am thinking about building a new system using the old q6600. Any comments on if I should wait until the i7 (is it Nov 17?) to see if the price will drop? I have read some places that the q6600 will be discontinued soon so it might be in short supply as the last retail boxes are purchased.

Thanks

Let's say the Q6600 price drops to $50, but it's discontinued and you can't buy it. That's not going to help you much...

The i7 will require DDR3, an expensive motherboard (at least at first), and it will be expensive itself ($284 for the cheapest i7 CPU, AFAIK). Also, a whole bunch of coolers that are popular these days might not fit because the i7 socket is wider.
If you're just playing games, a DDR2/P45/Q6600 setup that costs less than half as much will be almost as good. Of course, if you do need a lot of CPU power and have the cash, then it's worth waiting for the i7.

If you are building a system that needs a strong quad, wait a few weeks, if you can, to see what develops. The i7 quads will be much better than anything out there today. They will come at a hefty price when you consider the X58 mobo and ddr3 ram. If your budget for a cpu is >$300 , then wait. If less, still wait, because current quads over $300 will be dropping in price.

If you don't need a quad, then consider a higher clocked E8400 which will generally be better for games. I don't see their prices changing much.

aeiouandxyz

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Don't go for i7 just yet. Wait 6 months to a year so they can get all the stability and bug issues resolved first. Plus, if you go for it when it's released, you'll be paying a hefty price for X58 and triple channel DDR3 memory.