AMD Phenom 2 940

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
So i built a machine with the amd phenom 940...everything came in the mail on friday except my ocz vendetta2...i was too anixous to build the machine so i did and just used the stock cooler until my ocz comes in the mail on monday...my question is...when i take the stock cooler off...can i just put the ocz on it or add more thermal compound...or will i have to clean the thermal compound and reapply it...?

Thanx in advance!

Definetly clean well and re-apply new thermal paste. Be carefull not to get the old thermal paste all over the sides of the CPU and down into the socket when you clean it. Take your time, do it slow, and get all the old completely off.

Yep, a good clean and it should be fine. Just be careful when you remove it, sometimes it can be a little tight and if the thermal paste has set it can be a little bit of a pain. How is your new 940 working? What motherboard did you use?

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
@kievinb, finally you made up your mind.

I myself just got the same cpu. Trying to back up my files before installing a new upgrade. PII 940 + GA-MA790GP-DS4H + G.Skill 4GB PI 1066.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
lol yea it took forever to make up my mind but i finally got it... I got it on a Jetway ha07 ultra board....its pretty decent...im content soo far...i was able to overclock it to 3.7 on stock cooler so thats pretty good...im confident i can get it to 4.0 once my vendetta 2 comes in the mail...

@EXT64

I love this machine...freakin awesome...of course my opinion doesnt really matter considering im coming from an althon xp 2400 on a socket a board...so anything would be fast to me...but so fa so good..now its jus a matter of transferring files

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Glad to hear.

Can't wait to get mine put together. Still need to create a new installation disk (WIN XP with no Floppy drive) with SATA driver in it. Never done it before.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Glad to hear.

Can't wait to get mine put together. Still need to create a new installation disk (WIN XP with no Floppy drive) with SATA driver in it. Never done it before.

Yea i know what you mean...ive done it before its pretty easy you just need to find the drivers for you hard drive..then use this program i think its called nlite...anywho...just google it and you will be pretty good...you just need acces to a machine with xp or vista already installed and a blank cd..to burn the new xp iso file onto.. this was the tut i used hope it helps! :) http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, I just did some researched last nite. I'm just not sure if the driver I added to the installation disk is the correct one. Anyway, thanks hope I will get it right, lol. My hand are itchy to play with the PII already.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
lol yea i know what you mean...i couldnt wait to i got thing workin...I dedicated my whole weekend tweakin it over and over and over...i install and wiped like 5 different operating systems to see what was the best fit.... finally i figured something out..

but now...my cooler in the mail and i gotta go grab it put it on...i pray its not too big!! i got a full size case...but it has a 360mm fan on the side panel which could be a problem..!!

but have fun with ya build!! lol