Simple CPU OC in BIOS crashes

G

Hi, I have small issue with my OC.

My system:
Gigabyte X38-DQ6
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (default @ 2.66GHz)
2x 2GB OCZ Platinum Edition 800MhZ
Antec P185 with plenty of fans and ideal airflow (al cables hidden...)

After some research I found that I should be easily able to set my CPU clock to 400x8 (-> 3.52GHz) instead of the default 333x8 without needing to tinker with any voltages, RAM timings etc...
So I set that option in my BIOS and never have any stability or temperature issues.
Now once in a while my pc just boots with the OC setting disabled. The 400x8 setting is still visible in the BIOS, just not enabled...
Every time I try to switch the OC back on the pc boots as if I set it to an impossible setting. At POST, instead of reading the CPU details, 'counting' the RAM and moving on to the HDD's it just shows the default CPU speed and then 'MEMORY TE' (instead of 'MEMORY TESTING' and the amount of RAM) and then reboots and szitches back to default.
Even setting the OC to 334x8 does not work.
Now after a couple of days I'm able again to set the OC to 400x8 or even 440x8 and my system still remains stable until one (re)boot when the setting is gone again.
It sometimes happens after days, sometimes months,... and I can't really find the cause. It's not like it happens every time I stress my system, it seems completely arbitrary...

Anyone have any ideas what causes this?

Thank already for the help!

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
After some research I found that I should be easily able to set my CPU clock to 400x8 (-> 3.52GHz) instead of the default 333x8 without needing to tinker with any voltages, RAM timings etc...

What you need to do is learn how to OC. Read the sticky OCing guide and google to find others. Once you have an idea of what you are doing and what the different Bios entries are, start slow and work up your OC. YES, you will have to Stress Test, Monitor Temps & Adjust Voltages or just settle for stock or a VERY low OC.

G

Thanks for the reply.

I do have to disagree with you though :)

For starters, a friend of mine has the same CPU and mobo and 'inferior' RAM and he sets his OC the exact same way as I do.
He never has any issues... (I know you can never compare systems, but still)
Secondly, whenever I do get my system to accept a 400x8 or 440x8 setting it runs stable for months at a time and it stands up to long gaming sessions and benchmarks. Admittedly, I don't use Prime95 or any other 'real' stress testers, but why should I if my system so often runs completely stable for so long?
Thirdly, the default setting is 333x8 and whenever the issue occurs I can't even set it to 334x8, so settling for a very low OC as you suggest isn't even an option...

I don't aim for a max OC or anything and I like to think I (and my friend) have thoroughly researched the fact that an E6750 should be able to handle what I'm trying to do without the need to tinker with any other setting. A point which is proven by the fact that my system runs stably for long periods of time I should think...

Also, the problem never occurs while my system is running, so it never crashes due to a bad OC or anything.
It's just that sometimes it boots and for some reason is unable to retain the OC setting. That would also suggest that the OC setting is not too high for my system to handle...

... but you [strike]could[/strike] can probably get a E5200 for $60 that consistently clock to 4ghz.
Unless you lose the CPU lottery. MY E5200 hits a wall at 3.78 GHz. I have voltage and temperature left, but the core will not run past 3.78 GHz. It's 24 hour P95 stable at around 1.35 volts and just under 60 C., but it will not run at 3.8 GHz. I even tried running vcore up to 1.6 volts. :eek: No go. Clearly a case of YMMV.

dameista, you need to learn how to use the BIOS.

And I agree with zipzoomflyhigh. Your problem is more than likely with your memory settings.
----------
Building computers since 1977
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

TRENDING THREADS