Problems getting Corsair to 1600 on Asus Rampage II Extreme

jez909

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I'm having some issues getting my memory to run at the specs advertised by the manufacturer.

Hardware:

Mobo - ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard Bios rev. 1104

Memory - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Video - EVGA 01G-P3-1281-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

PS - ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply

Proc - Core i7 920

I'm trying to get the memory to 1600, I've contacted corsair and Asus and they're both scratching their heads. I've set the bios to the -X.M.S.- which loads an auto profile embedded in the ram which sets my QPI voltage to 1.35, my memory volt to 1.65 and my timings to 9-9-9-24 2n These specs are supposed to be stock for my ram, but the LCD poster always shows "Locked" at the beginning of the post and fails the simplie oc. Then I went ahead and tried setting everything in manually and same outcome.

Next I started at "auto" for the two voltages and incrementally raised them both until I got failure on one or the other. No matter what I do my ram is locked at 1066.

Corsair had me take the whole kit out and just use one stick at a time, individually they take the 1600 settings with no problems. I then tested only one stick on each empty slot and noticed the farther away the slot from the cpu the more problems with post failure. Corsair stated this may be an undervoltage problem so I borrowed a trusty volt meter and saw that the voltage swinged wildly back and forth never stable, I think this may be due to some setting in the bios with variable voltage to save the cpu in case of thermal overload, so I went through and disabled "CPU Turbo power limit" this still did not help.

I'm hoping this is happenening because of a simple power setting that needs to be enabled or disabled. If there is anything else that I need to toggle please feel free to reply or pm me.

I just ordered CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D from newegg

Hopefully this will fix it.

Regards,

Jez909

jez909

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I just installed the Dominator Dimms and it's the mobo that's defective. These memory units were tested before they were shipped. I'm RMA'ing the board.... Thanks for all your comments!

TRENDING THREADS