Core i7 920 Freezes while running Prime95 @ stock

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
There is another thread here, but since Prime95 is largely a tool used to test overclocking, I thought I might put it in here to see if it gets more traffic.

My setup:

Intel Core i7 920 at 2.66Ghz (stock speed)
Asus P6X58D Premium Mobo
Corsair CMPSU-850HX PS
3 x 2GB OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 RAM (OCZ3G1600LV6GK)
PNY Quadro FX 580
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB System Drive
2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - RAID 1 Data Drive
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 CPU Cooler
Antec 900 Case

I've got the timings/voltage set correctly for the RAM (8-8-8-24; 1.66v), but after RMA'ing the first set because I found a bad stick that caused it to fail Prime95; this new set is causing the PC to hard lock, so I have to hold in the power button to turn it off, then back on. The temps when the freeze occurs are right around 70 degrees C, give or take a couple of degrees.

I even had it lock up hard when I was running MemTest overnight last night. It ran for 2 hours 45 minutes, then was locked up when I checked it this morning. I started MemTest again this morning, and it had been running for about 6 hours without locking up or showing any errors. I'll be checking it again in a little bit when I get home.

Also, I had some issues getting it to power on this morning after the MemTest lockup. It would just sit with the screen in standby. All the fans ran, etc; but nothing was ever displayed. After letting the tower sit for about 5 minutes, it powered back on (that's when I started MemTest before I left for work).

I was able to run Prime95 for over 3 hours with one of the good tested sticks from the set I RMAd and had no issues, but now that the new set is here, I'm having different issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what I can try. I've already been advised that the temps may be a little high, so I've got some Arctic Silver 5 at home and I'm going to reapply the HSF tonight. I also thought about reseating everything on the motherboard.

Any other suggestions. Thanks for your help guys!

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
70c seems VERY warm for stock temps on an aftermarket cooler.

Make sure not to go overboard with the paste (an uncooked rice-sized blob in the middle will do it or you can go to Artic Silver's homepage to see how/what they recommend).

Also, I would suggest cleaning your HSF and CPU with coffee filters and 90%+ Isopropyl Alch(you can find it at your local Walgreens or Pharmacy). Or, if you have a nearby shop that has it, some of Artic Silver's Paste/Grease remover. I hear that stuff works well.

Have you flashed the bios on your motherboard to the latest version?
This shouldn't be the case, but in your case it's certainly worth a shot.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I haven't tried that yet, actually. I assume you mean for the CPU? How do I go about this?

The BIOS has indeed been flashed to the latest version (at least it was the latest as of when I bought the parts 2-3 weeks ago.

The aftermarket cooler had thermal paste pre-applied to it, so I just stuck it on. I will definitely read the guidelines though, just to make sure I do it right.

I do want to mention that this is my first time building a PC in about 6 years or so (at least), and I've never overclocked, so I'm not really up on the setting things in BIOS manually. Also, I don't understand how I was able to run Prime95 for multiple hours (2-3 at least) with a single stick of good RAM from my last set (without the lockups, etc). I guess I don't see how the temperature is causing the freezes/lock ups when it didn't do it with a different set of RAM.

Anyway, I'll work on these suggestions, and if you can provide any details, it'd be much appreciated.

Edit: Just an update on the MemTest process. It ran all day (10 hours 40 minutes) without locking up or showing any errors. It had 9 completed passes.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Yeah, I'm going to reapply anyway, just to be safe; I just wanted to see if my thinking was correct.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Well, I figured out which one in BIOS is the VCCPLL, because it mentions PLL, but other than that, I'm pretty much lost. I don't know if I know enough about electricity to read and understand this so it can be input correctly in BIOS.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I ran the Small FFTs test in Prime95 for 30 minutes without a lock up (before it was taking less than 10 minutes to lock up).

I ran CPUID's Hardware Monitor during that time and here's what it reported. I just want to make sure everything looks alright monitoring-wise. I know we said it's running hot, but no lockups when stressing the CPU should mean that the CPU is okay and I don't need to manually set anything, right?

30minsmallffthardwarere.jpg

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Do you have the power saving functions on?

Try to disable these. And like i said.... i suspect your problem may be because your mobo is setting voltages incorrectly. Put ALL the voltages back to stock by manually setting them in the bios.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I'm going to list what I see in the BIOS, is there any chance you could help me figure out what goes where? I'm really having a hard time understanding what's supposed to go where.

AI Overclock Tuning - Auto
CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
Intel SpeedStep Tech - Enabled
Intel TurboMode Tech - Enabled
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode - Auto
DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600Mhz
UCLK Frequency - Auto
QPI Link Data Rate - Auto

CPU Voltage Control - Auto
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto (I believe this one gets set to 1.8)
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - Auto
IOH Voltage - Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage - Auto

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.66
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC - Auto

Load-L:ine Calibration - Auto
CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto
CPU Clock Skew - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
IOH Clock Skew - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto

Thanks for all the help, man.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Yeah, no prob....

Set everything to this....

AI Overclock Tuning - Auto
CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
Intel SpeedStep Tech - Disabled
Intel TurboMode Tech - Enabled
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode - Auto
DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1066 (because this is stock for the i7's integgrated memory controller)
UCLK Frequency - Auto
QPI Link Data Rate - Auto

CPU Voltage Control - 1.25v
CPU PLL Voltage - 1.8v (I believe this one gets set to 1.8)
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - 1.20v
IOH Voltage - 1.1v
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - 1.1v
ICH PCIE Voltage - Auto

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.65v
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC - Auto

Load-L:ine Calibration - Auto
CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto
CPU Clock Skew - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
IOH Clock Skew - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto

I bolded the ones that need to be changed. Hopefully that will solve your problem. If not, post back.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I appreciate the quick response, however, I see a few problems:
1 - the DRAM Frequency is what my RAM calls for.
2 - DRAM Bus Voltage can't be set to 1.65. For some reason, Asus only allows you to move it in intervals of .02, so it's either 1.64 or 1.66. If you type in 1.65 manually, it sets it to 1.66.

Please advise. Thanks!

Assuming that you have latest BIOS, let's take the CPU outta the equation:

Enter BIOS and do the following:

1. Reset all to stock settings (F5 if memory serves)

2. Go to memory settings and set RAM timings only....(do not change voltage)

3. Set BIOS OC to manual

4. Set CPU Multiplier to 12, BCLK to 133 and Memory Multiplier to 12. This should give you:

CPU Speed = 12 x 133.33 = 1.6 Ghz
Mem Speed = 12 x 133.33 = 1600 Mhz

5. Save settings and Run Memtest+ for 12 hours....if it works, we have proved that memory can run at 1600 MHz. If It don't switch RAM brands.

6. Re-enter BIOS, set CPU Multiplier to 12, BCLK to 200 and Memory Multiplier to 8. This should give you:

CPU Speed = 12 x 200 = 2.4 Ghz
Mem Speed = 8 x 200 = 1600 Mhz

7. Save settings and Run Memtest+ for 12 hours....if it works, we have proved that memory can run at 1600 MHz, the BCLK at 200 and the CPU at just under its rated 2.66 speed. If there' a problem here and not in step 5, it doesn't sound like memory.

After steps 5 and 7 you could try boosting RAM voltage manually to 1.64xx (highest ya can go w/o exceeding 1.65000 and trying again.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
My mistake.... then set it like this...

You need to set the dram freq to 1066 and test for stability like this before you set it to 1600mhz.

The i7's have an integrated memory controller (imc) and the IMC is ment to run at 1066 mhz. Above 1066mhz and it is considered an overclock.

Your system will be MORE stable when you set it at 1066mhz. It doesn't matter what the ram "calls" for.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Thanks for the help. I ran a couple of hours with no freezing or errors, and then gave it a couple of real world runs encoding some 720P video that I had lying in wait and everything seems to be working well with these settings.

What's the next step?

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Andy,

Overshocked already quoted you on this earlier in the thread. He helped me decipher what values went where in my BIOS, and those were the settings that I was just referring to. The only thing that's not set at the moment, is the RAM is supposed to be running at DDR3-1600Mhz (or that's what it's rated for) and I'm currently running at DDR3-1066Mhz.

The temps actually look pretty good right now. I haven't reseated the processor yet (trying to get the other issues out of the way first), but with these voltages the highest temp I saw when running Prime95 was 5-7 degrees cooler than I was seeing before.

nobody61

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Have you tried testing each stick of ram 1 at a time at stock speeds?
I had a very similar problem, turns out it was a bad memory unit. Try running with just one stick of ram and check for stability.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

It's passes MemTest with all 3 sticks. Normally, that means it's going to pass with each one individually. Couple that with the fact that I haven't had any freezing issues since Overshocked helped me to set the voltages on the CPU manually, and I really don't think it's the RAM.

I'm working toward figuring out the issue. I'm just waiting to see what the next step is. I'm assuming I'll need to bump the speed of the RAM back up to stock and run Prime95 again, but I want to clarify with him before I do that.

I do appreciate the reply, however; so thanks!

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

LOL. He's definitely working toward being chosen best answer. I just want to finish this up, which means making sure the RAM runs at it's recommended speed. If it doesn't, I'll RMA the second set and I'll be buying a different brand.

I just want to make sure everything's working right so I can relax and start enjoying my new PC. :)