Help with qx9650 Overclocking

killblazer

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hey, I'm and overclocking noob and I just bought a qx9650 processor. (Upgrading from a Pentium D) Man did this give my computer new wings. As the title says, I am looking for help with overclocking my cpu. Right now I currently only have a 550watt power supply. I am looking at upgrading it later on but I don't quite have the money just yet. So if overclocking is out of the question with that sort of power supply just let me know and ill keep it at its defaults. I am just glad to finally get rid of that D.

With all 4 cores running I have the CPU temp at 29C-32C

My specs
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW motherboard
Intel 2 Core Extreme, qx9650 quad-core
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
550 Watt BFG GX Series Power Supply, (also needs to be replaced)
Thermaltake Bigwater 760is Liquid Cooling.
2, XFX 9800 GT Graphics Cards SLI
WD 40gig Hard Drive, Formatted With Windows XP (Original hard drive from my old computer)
WD 500gig Hard Drive,
WD 1T Hard Drive
HP DVD Writer 1070r

Solution
Welcome to the forums!

ok, first off, how in the HELL are you running that system with 550W?! Your DEFINETLY pushing it by OCing.

Second, im more of an AMD overclocker but as I beleive the qx9650 has an unlocked multiplier(?) and can be increased from the BIOS when you restart your computer.

If it isn't an unlocked multiplier, then just find the FSB clock in your BIOS and increase that in small increments, once you hit a wall with stress testing, SLIGHTLY increase your Vcore.

I'm sure an Intel OCer could help better than that but hope that shedded a bit of light ;)

good luck!

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Welcome to the forums!

ok, first off, how in the HELL are you running that system with 550W?! Your DEFINETLY pushing it by OCing.

Second, im more of an AMD overclocker but as I beleive the qx9650 has an unlocked multiplier(?) and can be increased from the BIOS when you restart your computer.

If it isn't an unlocked multiplier, then just find the FSB clock in your BIOS and increase that in small increments, once you hit a wall with stress testing, SLIGHTLY increase your Vcore.

I'm sure an Intel OCer could help better than that but hope that shedded a bit of light ;)

good luck!

Solution