+100MHz OC versus down to 2T

randomkid

Distinguished
I have hit the wall for stable OC on an X3 720BE at 3.6Ghz which I can achieve for more than 3 hours prime95 ( which I stopped). I tried 3.7GHz ( all by upping multiplier and boosting voltage ) but I can only achieve a little over 2 hours before it crash even if I increase the voltage to 1.565 ( the most I dare since temp is already around 60C at ambient room temp of 31C). My RAM is at 1600, 7-8-7-24-40 & 1T. I read somewhere that OC will be more stable if I reduce the timing to 2T.

Question: Is the performance gain of 100Mhz ( 3.6Ghz to 3.7Ghz) OC on 4 cores worth the loss in reducing timing to 2T?

randomkid

Distinguished

He he he... Thanks. I'm not a pro yet but hope to get there... I know I can try both 1T and 2T and get benchmarks but its really taking long to get the answer through personal experience so I am asking the experts in case they already measured this...

randomkid

Distinguished
I made a simple test after my OC's passed intelburn test on standard and 1 hour on prime by running SuperPi.

3.6 Ghz at 1T=18mins 56secs
3.7 Ghz at 2T=18mins 36secs
3.7 Ghz at 1T=18mins 36secs

At SuperPi at least, there is no effect on change in the command rate... I will try to measure thru other benchmarks.