Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading to 8800 GT, want to make sure everything is a-ok

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2008 12:30:10 AM

Hello! I am new to these forums, so hello (again). :) 

I'm completely new to the world of pc upgrading, before my dad always did it. But now I need a new video card, and my dad is completely unfamiliar with that area.

SO. I'm turning to the internet! I've seen a couple threads like this on here, so I figured I'd throw another out there.

Here's a quick layout of my system (not the newest, I know :p ):

Model: HP m7480n

Processor: PentiumD 930 (P) DC 3.0 GHz

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE

Windows XP

2.0 GB of RAM

300 GB hard drive

300W power supply

As I said, I want to upgrade to an NVIDIA 8800 GT. I'll be upgrading my power supply to a 500W unit, and I think that's all I need to do to run this card...but I'm not sure. My dad said he read that I need a NVIDIA hybrid enhanced motherboard? And neither of us have no idea what that means.

I think that's it though...am I going to be able to run this card on my system? I really would appreciate some help. Any opinions are welcome! :) 

More about : upgrading 8800 make

November 28, 2008 12:51:31 AM

Actually, after a bit more research I've discovered that the model of the card I want requires a PSU with a +12V rating of at least 30A...so I think I'll get a 450 watt Corsair VX450W with a +12V rating of a cool 33A. :sol:  That should do the trick, yeah?
a c 1316 U Graphics card
November 28, 2008 11:14:58 AM

VX450 will work fine with 8800GT and if your MB has pci-express x 16 slot you are good to go.
Related resources
November 28, 2008 6:05:20 PM

Woo! Alright, thanks for the help. Tis very much appreciated. I'll be sure to come back here if I have any more problems or questions! :) 
!