Good heatsink for AM2 cpu AM2+ socket

i have a Athlon 5000 OCed at 2.8 but i dont want to go any further until i cool this thing down. im on the stock cooler and my idle is around 40C and orthos stress testing brings me to 65C

i need a new heat sink.
whats the best one out there that i can get under preferebly under $50 and i will also be buying some artic silver 5 to go with it. my motherboard uses socket AM2+
it would need to be about 3.5 inches wide (or a LITTLE more) in order to fit without hitting my RAM. it could be 8 inches tall and still fit without hitting the side fan. thanks for any help
7 answers Last reply
More about good heatsink socket
  1. i've got the x2 7750 on the artic freezer64 may not be the best but it has artic mx2 preaplied and is $25-$30 depending on where you buy it.
  2. Some one linked this for me before. Pretty useful.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Note, scroll down further for the AMD coolers.
  3. I personally like my Noctua NH-U12P, it can be had on newegg, and frozencpu (unless they dropped it recently). If you do get this one, make sure your case is deep enough.
  4. Blacklyte said:
    i've got the x2 7750 on the artic freezer64 may not be the best but it has artic mx2 preaplied and is $25-$30 depending on where you buy it.

Ive been using one for over a year now first on my Athlon x2 6000+ Oced @3.3ghz and now on my new Phenom II x4 940 Oced @3.7ghz with an idle temp of 27c and load of around 35c.
  5. Blacklyte said:
    i've got the x2 7750 on the artic freezer64 may not be the best but it has artic mx2 preaplied and is $25-$30 depending on where you buy it.

I'll second the Artic freezer64. I have one on a 5000+Be and another on a standard 5000+. Both run fine at 3.1GHZ and rarely go above 50C.
  6. ya, im thinking the artic freezer, its cheap and seams like it works, Should i get some arctic silver 5 with it, or is the pre applied stuff just as good?
  7. iggybeans said:
    I'll second the Artic freezer64. I have one on a 5000+Be and another on a standard 5000+. Both run fine at 3.1GHZ and rarely go above 50C.

Do you mean this?
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heatsinks Product