Reset switch turns computer off for few seconds

gumbied

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I know there is a similar post, but it relates to overclocking. The problem I'm having is that when I hit the reset switch, the computer powers off for a few seconds then powers on again. I am not overclocking and the problem started occuring about a week ago, having changed nothing. I have updated BIOS, to no avail. My OS is relatively stable, so I can probably live with it. I am just curious if this could be something I should be concerned about.

Asus Pk5e SE/EPU
Intel Quad Q6600

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
A 'second' is a long time when one is impatient.

A reset should be a complete shutdown followed by a restart. I never use my reset button, as it doesn't give my drives enough time to fully spin down before starting the 'restart' phase, so if yours is now allowing this please tell all how you did it...

gumbied

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Perhaps you don't understand that when I use the reset switch versus the power switch, it actually powers off the computer - "the reason you use the reset button rather than turning the power off and on again is because the power surge caused by powering up and down (particularly in rapid succession) is bad for many of the components and could shorten their life". Before when hitting the reset switch it wasn't powering off like now, nor have I ever had a computer that totally powered off when using the reset switch.

gumbied

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

First off, that statement may not be as true now as it was 25 years ago. I was told with my first PC's not to power on immediately after a shutdown but wait 20 seconds for the components to stabilize. So, here I am today and will reiterate:

I've been happily running this setup for over 3 months, then - last week I was having problems with my Windows freezing, no BSOD, no events. Then when I would reboot the CMOS would be cleared, asking me to either F1 enter setup or F2 uise defaults. This happened 3 or 4 times, which made me aware something wasn't right, duh!!. I checked the memory, all connections, battery, manually cleared CMOS, removed battery, checked power supply voltages, etc. After that, the computer ran fine, except now the reset button powers off the whole computer for about 3 seconds then powers on, whereas before the reset was like a soft boot (power remained on). Haven`t had to use the reset button since then, and don't want to. So, I guess I won't worry about it, and wait and see.

gumbied

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

I've been happily running this setup for over 3 months, then - last week I was having problems with my Windows freezing, no BSOD, no events. Then when I would reboot the CMOS would be cleared, asking me to either F1 enter setup or F2 uise defaults. This happened 3 or 4 times, which made me aware something wasn't right, duh!!. I checked the memory, all connections, battery, manually cleared CMOS, removed battery, checked power supply voltages, etc. After that, the computer ran fine, except now the reset button powers off the whole computer for about 3 seconds then powers on, whereas before the reset was like a soft boot (power remained on). Haven`t had to use the reset button since then, and don't want to. So, I guess I won't worry about it, and wait and see.

serp

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Bump

My computer has just started to do the same thing gumbled. I don't know why it started or how it started but this setup had been fine for 9 months up till now

gumbied

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

Finally, someone that understands this problem. Can I ask what MB, etc. you have??

serp

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I'm running a P5Q-E.

I did some other research and was told that it's a common issue with Asus boards. It happens more with boards that are overclocked but it can happen to any of them. Sometimes it resets the bios and sometimes it won't. But they said it isn't a serious problem. :)

gumbied

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

I agree it's not a serious problem, but in combination with my Asus 9600GT grapics card, which at one time I could control the fan speed and now can't leads me to never buying Asus again!!!! What can I say, I got what I paid for!!

Thanks

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If it doesn't have any detrimental effects, a few seconds is hardly a problem. Then there's little problem other than it being an inconveinience, trying to fix it might end up being more effort than it's worth