Sign in with
Your question

another first time builder..looking for your advise

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2008 1:20:36 AM

Hi Folks, looking for some advise, suggestions or your thoughts on my selections.

I play a couple games (WOW mostly, D3 when it comes out)and do photos. i have a 20.1" monitor at 1680x1050 res.
I mess with auto cad, solid works and master cam. Not sure those really matter in the way of things.
With the cost of having a computer built with the parts i want, I thought i would try to build my own.

This is what i have selected:

Case COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Motherboard ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

Video Card ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Mem G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B

Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

CD/DVD#1 SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q

CD/DVD#2 Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7201S-0B

I think that's all for the time being. I will probable add a second video card later. Might try a little OCing when i learn more.

A couple questions:
-I do not hear many folks speaking of partitioning a drive which i always have, so would it be ok to partition the 640 into different drives, mostly to put OS on it's own drive, games on their own and my other software on another or would it be better to put in a second drive for the OS? At the present time 640g is way more then i need.
-Since I'm not going to be OCing at the present time, will the stock cooler be ok or should i go ahead and get a aftermarket cooler.
-Even thou i like the ideal of using Vista I still get the feeling of the controversy of Vista verses XP, and I've read where WOW don't like Vista, so a little help here would be appreciated. I know my other software won't care which i use.

Well, that's about all i can think of at the moment, maybe some other questions as it goes along. Oh, if links are advised to my parts, just let me know; can do without any problems.

My thanks to you all for any comments you make.

More about : time builder advise

November 1, 2008 1:29:45 AM

Partitioning is a option but your better off buying a small inexpensive hd to house your OS.

The stock cooler is good enough, you can always get a aftermarket cooler later on if you do decide to overclock.

Well you will need Vista 64 to take full advantage of your ram. It is a worthwhile upgrade, updated drivers should have eliminated most of the controversy that you heard.

Lastly, if you don't plan on using auto cad, solid works and master cam very much, a E8400 would be a better option for gaming needs.

Other than that, the build looks pretty solid and should take care of your needs of running WoW and D3 very well.
November 1, 2008 8:30:28 AM

olddman,

I see you made it over here. You've got a nice shopping list. Should be okay.

As Slomo4sho pointed out you have an alternative to partitioning a hard drive. You might want to consider purchasing a small capacity drive just for the operating system. Backup the OS to the second larger drive.

Windows XP is kind of odd when it comes memory. It doesn't recognize 4GB. The total it will recognize varies. It might recognize a maximum of 3.5 GB. You might want to consider Vista now that it has been updated.

I have the CM HAF 932 case. It's huge. You'll need to add a few items to your list. If you mount the psu at the bottom of the case and the Asus board has the 6 pin, 2x3, atx power connection at the very top of the board the power cable is not long enough. You'll need the 8 inch extension cable that is available. If you install your optical drives in the top two drive bays the standard SATA cables will not be long enough either. You'll need to order longer cables. The good news is that you will be able to run all those cables behind the motherboard tray so that they are out of sight. With the cables out of the way you'll also improve air flow.
Related resources
November 1, 2008 11:51:38 AM

Thanks Slomo4shO and JohnnyLucky.

I have a 80g from a older computer I can put in there. I do realize that if I went with XP I would not need the 4g of memory, but after reading some other posts I think I will stick with Vista 64bit.

Slomo4sho, the E8400 is a very nice card, it was my first option, but I went with Q6600 for the fact its a quad and I figured it would be better in the future. I think if I can OC it to around 3mhz (which i have read is pretty common) then I don't think I would notice a big difference in the way my game plays. Maybe in the way some of the demanding games out there would play but I don't really play any of them. That's what I was hoping anyways.

JohnnyLucky thanks for info. Yes that is a large case but I figured it would make it easier for me since I have never built my own and I wasn't for sure a mid tower would give me the room I needed without giving me a hard time in installing things. If I'm looking at it right the power connectors on the board will be in the lower right side, but either way, If i need to get a few extra cables that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for the input guys
November 1, 2008 2:14:05 PM

olddman,

I took a look at your motherboard at Newegg. In the bird's eye photo the board is lying on it's back side. It needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. When you mount the motherboard in the case the main 24 pin power connection will wind up at the front of the case. Your board also has an 8 pin, 2x4 power connection that will wind up at the very top rear of the board just like my Asus board. In the photos at Newegg you can only see a white colored 4 pin connection. If you click on the + to get a close up view and use your mouse to move to the connection you'll see a black plastic cover over the other 4 pins. Remove the plastic cover and connect your 8 pin cable. I had to go over to the ASUS forum to find that out as it is not covered in the manual. All of your data connections are at what will be the bottom of the front and along the bottom of the board.

The panel at the top front of the case with all those USB, external SATA, and audio connections comes prewired. The cable lengths are more than sufficient to reach the motherboard connections. CM was very generous with those cables. The audio cable is the odd one. Run that one along the top panel of the case to one side of the huge 230mm exhaust fan and then down the rear panel to the audio connection on the motherboard. I used one twist tie to hold the cable in place at the rear of the case. It will reach and remain hidden from view. Not sure where the audio connection is on your board.
November 1, 2008 3:36:46 PM

thank you much JohnnyLucky. I think I'm going to order my case, power supply, and motherboard today. May have some questions or ask for advise. Doing something I have never done, no matter how simple it may seem, still makes me wonder if I'm doing it right or messing it up, but we will see. Got to start reading those 'How To' threads for info I'm not aware of.

Since I'm not a heavy doer of anything except maybe my games, I'm still having some conflicts with myself on a couple items I selected. I wonder if I'm really choosing the right CPU and video card combination, but I'll keep reading the reviews. I do think my case, M/B and PS are good for whatever I need for a while.
November 1, 2008 8:05:13 PM

Thank you much JohnnyLucky. That saved me $67 before the $20 MIR.
Glad i got tired before i ordered from newegg.
November 1, 2008 11:29:52 PM

Before i do all my ordering i need to ask: concerning the warranty policies of newegg. Because I'm thinking it might take me longer then 30 days to get my rig up and running, should i order just what I want as I need it or go ahead and order it all at once. I know I'm gonna be spending time reading the forums for info and I have a limited amount of time to actually work on it. I just wasn't sure which way to go.
November 1, 2008 11:49:21 PM

Normally, if you have all your parts, the build should not take more than 3 hours(including os installation).

So I would actually recommend having all the parts before starting the build.

Since your a first time builder, try to put aside 1 day(7-8 hours) for the build in case of unforeseen problems. The other thing I urge you to do before beginning the installation is to read your motherboard manual :) 

November 2, 2008 12:58:05 AM

thanks Slomo4shO.
November 2, 2008 1:40:52 AM

I want thank you JohnnyLucky and you Slomo4shO for all the info you've given me.
I ordered the case and power supply from those links you gave me and I'm gonna order all my other parts tonight, just got to add my OS to list. Only difference from my original listings is i added a 2nd 4850.

One other question. I know 4gigs of ram would be enough, but would i benefit with going ahead and putting in 8megs?
November 2, 2008 1:49:43 AM

4 gigs of ram is usually more than enough in most situations. You will see very little performance increase by adding the ram.

Also, based on the games you plan on playing, a second 4850 would just be a waste of money for you currently. You should be able to run WoW at 1680x1050 res at max settings without any difficulty with just a single 4850. Diablo 3 is still at least a year away, you can always get a second card later or upgrade to a much cheaper 4870 at that time if you feel the single 4850 is not preforming well at max res max settings for D3.

I can't be certain but D3 graphics seem to be at par with WoW but one can't truly tell what the system will require until Blizzard gives some sort of system requirements.

Good luck with your build.
November 2, 2008 1:59:44 AM

If you are going to be ordering several parts from one vendor, then try and order them all at the same time. You will save a few dollars in shipping costs.

As Slomo4shO stated try and have all your stuff on hand when you start your build. If this is your first time building a pc you'll be taking your time so just for the heck of it set aside a whole day.

You have an alternative to the typical 30 day return policy with online vendors. As soon as you receive your parts go to each manufacturer's web site and register your items even if it will be some time before your build. Each manufacturer has a warranty which starts on the date of purchase. Some of the warranties may be for several years. That way you have a backup if you go beyond the vendor's 30 days.

Several months ago I was at the Seagate web site checking hard drive specifications when I noticed they had their own online store. They just happened to have several Seagate Barracuda drives on sale and shipping was free. They were the retail versions instead of the OEM versions. It was a better deal than anything I could find anywhere else on line. I bought four hard drives. As soon as I received them I registered the drives. They are still sitting in my spare parts box. I got them because I knew I would be building in the future. I may not use them for several months but they are still registered and under warranty.
November 2, 2008 2:20:16 AM

Thanks again Slomo4shO.
November 2, 2008 2:31:54 AM

+1 on the second 4850 and 8MB of RAM. Not necessary for what you're doing.

Each month THG publishes a video card guide. It specifically states it is for hardcore gamers. Somewhere in the October article it mentioned that two 4850's in Crossfire mode are a better bang for the buck than using one of the newer high end cards that are much more expensive. That's for the hardcore gaming enthusiasts.

If you get stuck you can pm me.

Good Luck!
November 2, 2008 2:47:29 AM

Thanks again also JohnnyLucky. I was reading a similar, maybe same one on the
video card and thought it would be twice as good. The charts show almost twice the frame rate as a single, but if one will work for me; will save some coin.
!