Best temperature range?

mrclark1975

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
what is the optimum temperature range for a pentium D 925? my computer shut itself down and when I finally got a thermostat setup I noticed the second time it shut itself down my CPU was setting st about 76C (roughly 170F) it's now setting at about 37.2C (roughly 98F) am I good now? or does it need to be cooler?

35 - 40 @ idle is pretty good for the D's.

Trying to get it to run under 60 at full load is difficult - the stock cooler for them is a very good solid unit ...

I suggest cleaning the dust out of the cooler (Mi1ez spot on there) and fans on the case ... and reseating the cooler with some decent thermal grease.

Take a look and see if you can tidy up the cables inside to maximise ariflow - might need an additional case fan either drawing more air in or pulling the hot air out.

Good luck.

mrclark1975

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
after it dies the second time I took some compressed air and then a vaccume cleaner to it I had also notice that my intake fan wasn't working so right now the setup consists of a tower with no side panel and a house fan aimed directly at the cpu :) I know it's not completely kosher but it's keeping me right around 35 right now so I think it will be ok uintil I get a new fan and before I put the new fan in I will clean it out again

I was actually thinking about a 250mm fan for intake.
thoughts?

mrclark1975

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
after it died the second time I took some compressed air and then a vaccume cleaner to it (and yes there was ALOT of dust) I had also noticed that my intake fan wasn't working so right now the setup consists of a tower with no side panel and a house fan aimed directly at the cpu I know it's not completely kosher but it's keeping me right around 35 right now so I think it will be ok uintil I get a new fan and before I put the new fan in I will clean it out again

I was actually thinking about a 250mm fan for intake.
thoughts?