Help Needed, Intel ICH7 Chip becomes very hot [Asus P5kpl-Am]

TaBaC

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Hi Guys !
I'm not an expert, but neither a newbie. the last week i bought 5 Asus P5KPL-AM Motherboards for my office. Currently I'm experiencing great performance. here is my combination :

CPU : Intel E5200 (65 Watt)
Mobo:Asus P5KPL-AM
RAM : Kingston 1GB 800MHz (10 Watt)
HDD : 160 GB Sata 7200RPM (25 Watt)
VGA : Intel G31 (8MB) Onboard (~35 watt)
SoundCard : Onboard (~10 Watt)
PSU 300Watt (75% efficiency -> 225)
------------------------------------------------------------------
less than 200Watt Power Usage

as you can see i'm quit sure that i've chosen the right PSU for my system. But the problem is that the Intel ICH7 Controller chip which is at the right bottom of the motherboard and next to the cmos battery, becomes so hot, that i can't hold my finger for 10secs on the heat sink ! i really don't have any idea why it becomes so hot.
i disabled from the BIOS the USB ports, serial and com ports, but still hot. i disabled the onboard audio device either, but no difference.

no voltage is adjusted(overclocking), updated to the latest BIOS version.

i called the support vendor of this motherboard in my country, he told me "as long as you don't have any trouble with this motherboard, nothing can be fixed and this is a normal situation" ! :pt1cable:

i know this temperature will darken the back color of this part of the mobo, and maybe they will tell me in the future that guarantee is void therefor.

Is it really a normal situation ? Any idea ????

TaBaC

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
thanks for your reply, here are my bios temperature listed in the bios :

Temperature (Celsius scale)

Cpu : 30-36 degree
MotherBoard : 28-32 Degree

i'll be on vacation tomorrow, but will post the results in the next 48 hours.

TaBaC

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
hi again,
unfortunately, speedfan was unable to measure the temperature of the chip, it listed the system temp and the cpu cores temp....

i measured the temperature with a laser equipped industrial thermometer. the heat sinks temperature was 57-61c.
do you think it is ok ?

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I have the same problem, but w/ a P5KPL-VM mobo, which sometimes just reboots with no warning. I installed hardware monitor sensor 4.4 (which is great btw) and it does not show ich7 temp. I attached a fan to the case side lid that blows directly into the heatsink... see if it helps :)

qams

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009

All ICH7 Chip and G31 & 945GC Chipset are runs very hot, I think it is not good design from Intel.
Because in ASIA Room Temperature is hotter than US, Chipset Run hotter than Actually Tested, All credit for this temperature defect goes to INTEL and only INTEL.

I checked all Companies mbd but all ICH7 are hotter.

and u can't purchase or attach a FAN to its size

INTEL is a $hit!!

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I added a small fan to it and I have no problem with it now. You just think Intel is bad and that's where you go wrong. If you dont' like something, you will find anything to complain about. I used to hate Intel, but I din't own one. I liked AMD's better 'cause I had one. Now, My Intel works just fine, Even with that ICH7 chipset. I think it was from my HDD - it went bad, as my BIOS said: "HDD status bad: back up and replace". And I did, and it works fine.

Peace bro, and don't talk about continents like they're just a spot on the planet, coz they're both huge and you don't have a point there.

TRENDING THREADS