sapphire hd4850 temperature reaching 107*C

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
im using sapphire hd4850 1.00 GB card and i am runing the card with thermaltake 500 watts psu
now the question is my card's temperature is reaching to 107*C is it really normal and the fan is way too loud so do i have to get a cooler ?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Well, at least you don't need to heat that room now.......What heatsink style does it have? The blue single slot version or the big @s thing that takes up 4 slots?

Does it instantly shoot up to 100+ or does it take a while? Curious if your case is just holding in all of the heat. Still, that is getting toasty.

When I got my 4870, I took the heat sink off and replaced the thermal paste. The quality of thermal paste that they ship them out with is horrible and it sounds like it probably wasn't applied correctly on your card. You might want to look into doing that.

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

Well the thing is it does take a while to reach 100+ besides the fan is too noisy is that normal and im really getting worried abt this the more heat the greater risk im bearing and yeah this it has the blue single slot version here's the link http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=248&grp=3 so what could be the solution. . .

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I am currently having the same problem as you are...my gigabyte 4850 reaches 103-105 degrees and its scaring the crap out of me...I am currently looking into buying an aftermarket cooler for it so that I can rest in peace, knowing the think wont blow...

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

So the only good way out is to get an aftermarket cooler well im from bangladesh and in our counrty it's really hard to find good gpu coolers do u think it would be good if go with some thermaltake gpu cooler...

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

i was planing to manually set the fan to 60% but i think it might decrease the durabilty of the card and the fan is god damn noisy

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
^ Yeah you can get GPU-z too.

How does your CPU temps look? What kind of case do you have? It sounds like your entire case might be overheating. The problem with the single slot video cards is that the heat just accumulates in your case if you don't have enough air flow and then the temps will just keep getting hotter and hotter since it has to recycle the hot air.

Try playing open cased and see where the temps go. If your GPU temps stay low then your GPU cooling is just fine. You might be able to cool everything down by getting a couple of fans to help move the air around in your case.

Alternatively, and if you have space and it is your entire case heating up, you can look into a 3rd party dual slot cooler that exhausts the heat out of your case instead of just recycling it.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
omg graphics cards arent like cpus... 100C isnt dangerous for the card, although it isnt really desirable... 80 C is absolutely fine, 90 C is the limit i would go with ocing. it really won't cause the damage a CPU at 100 C would..

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

so reaching 100*C isn't dangerous ? waitng for your reply dude

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
no it's not dangerous. certainly not desirable, but imminent death does not await the graphics card that hits 100 C. every GPU is different and can handle different amounts of heat. new GPU's can handle a lot more heat than they used to. especially ATI's.

Afterglow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
@rezwan22
Hey, I'm from bangladesh too. Check ur case air flow, where u put it (in a corner?), does it have enough airflow and u should talk to the retialer about it. I've 5 extra fans but still my 8800GTS idle at 70C & 88c+ at load. But 107c is too much.

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

yeah it is placed in corner and man i bought this from ucc well talking to them wouldn't help since they would check wether it works or not they wont care abt the heat problem and i even called them up to check wether they have graphics card cooler but wat a f**king luck they dont have any cooler ..man im really getting worried abt this situation now i feel that i have to trun on the freaking air condition while playing the games ..btw would buying extra fans help ? and which fans are you using and can u tell me the price of it ?

Afterglow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
@rezwan22
I’m also going to buy a 4850 512mb dual slot from UCC. From all the reviews I’ve read, it is a good graphics card for that price.
My first suggestion will be, remove ur casing from the corner and how many fan do u have in ur casing? U must maintain 2 things about the fan, in flow and out flow. Only out flow wont work. If u have AC in ur room then try to keep the room cool. U can at least talk to UCC about ur problem. Remember to put ur casing in an open place for proper air flow (like on top of the table). Im using 5 80mm fans which cost 80 to 100TK for my casing. 4 fans for in flow and 1 for out flow.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

That is true, GPUs can handle much higher temps than CPUs but just letting it go could be damaging to the rest of his components. The problem might not be that the GPU has poor cooling, the problem could be that the case doesn't have good enough airflow and ALL of the components in the case are overheating. And like you said...CPUs are more heat sensitive so he should keep an eye on that too.

Rez, have you looked at your CPU temps yet? I am curious if they are going up too. Describe your case for us. How many fans do you have pulling in air? I wouldn't worry about AC, just take the door off your case or crack it open a bit when you play games and see where the temps level out too. My last system had a case with no intake fans so I just opened up the door when I played games to help air get in and out.

There are also PCI slot fans available that you can put in the slot under your video card if it is an airflow issue. They blow the hot air that comes off your video card out of your case. I am not sure how well it would work for you or if you have access to any but you can see in the links what I am talking about. They are a pretty cheap too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114024

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888309

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

frist of all i kept one door open so that everything doesn't heat up and there was only one exhaust fan which was very poor so i took that out so i guess i'll be needing few fans and i have to change the casing because it's not that big..and thanks for the link man and yeah can u pls tell me a name of cpu monitoring software ?

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Guys i cant take this anymore im using catalyst driver 8.11 on vista if i manually set the fan speed at ati overdrive to 65% percent would it help and would it decrease the durability of the card waiting to know...

thebigring

Distinguished
May 13, 2007

Shouldn't the fan be scaling up as the temp of the gpu increases? Watch the fan speed as you load the gpu. I'm using a single 4850 and w/ the fan speed set to auto in CCC it reaches over 60% fan speed when the gpu is nearing only 70C. So if everything is working and your GPU is > 100C, fan should be near max already.

rezwan22

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

yeah the fan reaches to max wen the card is at 100c ..does ur card idles at 90-100 at full load and wat abt the fan speed ?

thebigring

Distinguished
May 13, 2007

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the fan is running at 100% while on auto and you're still getting over 100c setting it to 65% will only give you higher gpu temps since it will stay at 65% no matter what temp your gpu is at.

Highest I've seen my card was 72C while overclocked to 695gpu/1030mem, idle was ~35C.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
If you are playing with an open case and still have GPU temps above 100C then I bet the thermal paste is just not applied correctly on your GPU. When I got my 4870 I took the heat sink off and the thermal paste was all crusty and not covering the entire GPU. After replacing it with better stuff the temps dropped by 20C. It can really make a difference for the small cost of some thermal paste. If you can find some OCZ freeze or some Arctic Silver it would probably fix your problem.

Some people run their fan @ 100% and have for years with no problems. I wouldn't recommend it though. My roommate had a video card that burned out because the fan failed. You could probably run the fan for a while like that but if it ever stops working you will eventually damage your GPU by overheating it.

I like to run CoreTemp to monitor the CPU temps. If you are playing with an open case you should be ok with your CPU temps. But if you get some thermal paste it never hurts to replace your CPU thermal paste as well.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html

P.S.
Here is what I was trying to find. You can also get a rear exhaust heat sink for your card if you have any available around you. Check this link out.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Akasa/Vortexx/4.html