grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I have a Intel E5400 on a gigabyte G41-ES2L board with Corsair PC28500 Memory fitted. 2Gb fitted in each slot. Total 4 Gb
However the read out puzzles me I am supposed to have a CPU of 2.7 Ghz Frequency which should run a FSB of 800 Mhz.
The tuner readout thatI get is showing :-
CPU as 2.7 Ghz FSB as 800 Mhz and Bus as 200 Mhz and a multiplier of 6 so far so good.

Next page in the tuner for memory it states that the memory MAx bandwidth is PC26400 (400Mhz) which is a surprise unless its half due to it being the memory in a single slot, below this is a table showing.
Frequency CAS# Latency RAS# to CAS# RAS# Precharge Tras
400 5 5 5 18
266 4 4 4 12
533 5 6 6 16

On a following page the software is telling me:
Power on Target
CPU 2.700Mhz 1.202Mhz
FSB 200 Mhz 200Mhz With a slider to adjust if I wish
Ratio x 13.5 x 13,5 Which is a setting I have seen in the Bios.
Memory 800 Mhz 800 Mhz

Now what I am puzzled by is the FSB here against that show earlier of 800 Mhz What the Memory table is telling me as its not what I expected.

Finally in my Bios I have found a settings that allow me to adjust the memory voltage which is currently 1.8v and was considering 2.0v to see if the system runs any faster. Any comment?

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
All DDR types of memory double their effective data rate because they can transfer at the rising and falling edges of the clock signal.

If that doesn't make sense to you, here's the easy explanation: The frequency of DDR memory is actually half of its advertised frequency. This is because they are DDR, or double data rate. They perform two operations per Hz. So if you have a DDR2-667 module, it runs at 333 MHz, performing two operations per Hz, giving an effective frequency of 667 MHz.

Putting it in dual channel increases throughput because two modules are being accessed at the same time. It's the RAID0 of RAM.

If you are going to overclock, learn to use the BIOS.

Sort of false. The RAM modules are accessed alternately like drives in a RAID 0 array. Sort of true.

If the FSB and the RAM are running synchronomously (in step with), the FSB freq will equal the RAM freq. With DDR2 RAM, the RAM clock will be twice the RAM freq, much like the bus clock is four times the FSB freq.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Ah, sorry. I meant to say that the RAM modules work like a RAID0 HD array.

That said, I wouldn't want to try and give it 2.0v. That's near the red zone for DDR2. You might be able to get away with it if you have good cooling for the RAM, though, but the returns are minimal.