Sign in with
Your question

What Raid Controller Should I Get?

Last response: in Storage
April 6, 2010 12:36:02 AM

I have x2 WD5000AAKS hard drives currently on my EP45-UD3L motherboard on which I want to setup a RAID 0 array.

The hard drives are both 7200 RPM so I think that'll be sufficient for RAID 0.

So my question here is what raid controller would you recommend for my setup?

Thanks.

More about : raid controller

April 6, 2010 12:39:10 AM

I'm using a Q6600 OC'd at 3.6 - 3.2 usually if that matters for raid, thanks~
m
l
a c 877 G Storage
April 6, 2010 2:01:52 AM

If you are trying to speed up gaming or speed up processing files (like photoshop) then a hardware raid controller is suggested over a software based controller since they don't take away cpu cycles for their calculations.

Hardware based controller start at about $150 US and go up from there. Software based controllers are as cheap as $15. Research your selection.

For example a PCI controller with 2 older drives often performs simularly to a single new fast harddrive as the PCI bandwidth is limited to 133Mb/s which of course makes no sense to raid 2 fast new harddrives as you would never see the full potential.

Another issue you may have is in your OS selection. If you try to install a software controller under W2k or XP you will need a driver on a floppy disk and floppy disk to install the OS to the raid and do the "Press F8' route during install. Typically you have no way to do a full restore to a software raid for this very reason.
m
l
April 6, 2010 3:48:28 AM

popatim said:
If you are trying to speed up gaming or speed up processing files (like photoshop) then a hardware raid controller is suggested over a software based controller since they don't take away cpu cycles for their calculations.

Hardware based controller start at about $150 US and go up from there. Software based controllers are as cheap as $15. Research your selection.

For example a PCI controller with 2 older drives often performs simularly to a single new fast harddrive as the PCI bandwidth is limited to 133Mb/s which of course makes no sense to raid 2 fast new harddrives as you would never see the full potential.

Another issue you may have is in your OS selection. If you try to install a software controller under W2k or XP you will need a driver on a floppy disk and floppy disk to install the OS to the raid and do the "Press F8' route during install. Typically you have no way to do a full restore to a software raid for this very reason.

Damn sounds pricey. I just bought a GA-EP45-UD3L and thought it had raid for $80. Should I just return that and look for a new motherboard? Would that be a cheaper option?

Thanks.
m
l
!