Computer not booting with ram now

teslaa

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
For some reason after switching the power supply off the computer wont now switch on properly. When i hit the power switch all the fans come on and lights but only for less than a second then everything powers down. I tried removing all usb devices + peripherals but stll gives me the same result. I then tried removing all the ram and the computer now stays powered up but gives a warning tone which i assume is a warning that there is no RAM detected. I have tried each of the ram chips (i have 4) to see if one had gone faulty but the computer refuses to boot when any of the four ram chips is in. They havent all gone bad at the same time im sure so i dont know what to do.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your time.

Please note that the system has not been changed in the past 12 months and the ram has worked with this board.

Mobo = Evga 680i RAM = OCZ Reaper 4-3-3-15 (4x1gb)

Did you build it?

If for some reason your BIOS lost the RAM settings, it may have defaulted to a setting that is not compatible with the RAM.

What PSU is it? A poor quality PSU might have spiked the voltage when you hit the switch or something... that's pretty wild speculation perhaps but possible.

You could try resetting the BIOS.

teslaa

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
ive tried resetting the jumpers on the board but no luck. my psu is 900w tagan, about 1 in 40 times i try booting it the damn thing works so i cant really shut it down now in fear that it wont ever boot again.

thanks for your
reply.

You seem to be running at happy stock settings all across the board ;)

If you seem to be running fine once you do start, then I have to suspect either the PSU or MB.

Tagan is supposed to be decent, but then, so is EVGA. Seems to me you could ask EVGA what they think. They generally have some good support, and you might just get a brand new board out of the deal.