I7 cooler choice help

AuTX_Buckeye

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
After a nightmare experience that still wakes me up at night of installing a stock intel cooler on my C2D back in 06 (stupid push springs never locked, kept popping off and causing my computer to shut down)... i'm building another machine.

I've got the following:
CPU: i7-860 (little no, OC'ing not going even 3.5 Ghz)
MB: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Ram: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PSU: SeaSonic X750
Case: Antec P180

i've been reading reviews and what not .... but none of the mention install or easy of install.... i'm looking for a cooler that meets the following:

1. Quiet w/Fan (willing to buy aftermarket fan if it helps keep the noise down)
2. ease of install
3. price (i don't wanna pay more than $70 unless its gonna apply the thermal paste and install itself :))

i've found the following and looking for more suggestiongs
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B
Thermalright Venomous-X
Thermalright MUX-120
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 (this gets recommended and reviewed well but seems a bit noisy)

any help would be appreciated

I have the Thermalright Venomous X installed in my new Intel Core i7 860 system. It is an improved version of the Thermalright Ultra 120 designed for the new Intel cpu's. Thermalright has improved the installation process. It is very easy to install the heatsink. There are no pushpins involved. I used two Scythe S-Flex 1200 rpm fans. The noise level is acceptable.

I've installed the original Coolermaster Hyper 212 in a case mod I did. Zip recommended the 212+ which is supposed to be an improved model. Again, installation was easy. No pushpins involved. Everything is secure. I used two Scythe S-Flex 1600 rpm fans for the 212. The noise level was higher than the 1200 rpm fans.

Cooling was about equal for both heatsinks.

teamjawbox

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Would the Corsair H50 all-in-one CPU water-cooler be worth doing on the i7 920, versus a good Zalman or Coolermaster air cooler?

I've read some reviews and all seem good, but am curious to hear some real-word thoughts. The $70 price tag sounds good enough.

Anyone?

The Corsair H50 is an entry level system. Some veterans will say that air cooling is just as good. Others will say the H50 is better than air cooling. It is a mixed bag.

If you would like to learn more about water cooling you can read the water cooling located at the top of this forum section.

AuTX_Buckeye

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
@ JohnnyLucky,

have you run either of those setups with just 1 fan. looking at my case, the rear exhaust fan should be close enough to have this same affect.

and in your opinion is the thermalright worth the extra cash?

Thanks.

@ teamjawbox,

i've not really heard anything good about the H50, i've read some mixed reviews, if you search in this forum it should give you some good ideas.

I have the original Hyper 212, not the 212+. It is designed for use with one or two fans and has an excellent fan mounting system. Beats the heck out of those flimsy fan clips

Below is a link to the original 212. Click on the photos for an enlarged view and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3096

When I saw the 212 had a mounting system for two fans I automatically installed two. Same thing with the Venomous X. I've never used them with just one fan. In My Coolermaster HAF 932 and my Lian Li Dragon Lord cases there is still plenty of room between the second fan and the exhaust fan on the rear panel.

Since August 2008 I have used an original Thermalright 120, an original Coolermaster Hyper 212, and now a Thermalright Venomous X. They all produced about the same results. Core temps are all within 2 degrees Celsius of each other. Go with the 212+ and save yourself some money.

I guess I should mention thermal compound. I have not been using the thermal compound that comes with cpu heatsinks. Instead, I have been using IC 7 Carat Diamond compound. It works for me. Last time I checked there were over 80 brands of thermal compound classified into several categories. Every veteran seems to have a personal favorite.

BTW - I absolutely, positively, 100% guarantee individual results will vary.

yoamofior

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

holy Crap. i have a very similar build. I use same board and cpu. i also use same mem type except i got corsair which cme with fan to keep mem sticks cool. my ps is 650w and my graph card is radeon 5850. my cpu is oc @ 4.01mhz and im using Corsair h50 and my avg . temp with oc is 47C. its quiet coooling system. my case is antec 1200

AuTX_Buckeye

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
@yoamofior,

never really considered the H50... looked around at it but it never really peaked my interest. nice to know i've got a decent setup... maybe i should back down on the PSU... but its only $20 cheaper.

yoamofior

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
MY MOTHER BOARD WAS OVERCLOCKED TO 4.01 YESTERDAY. TODAY I PUT 2X2GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR @ 1600 GHZ. BUT MY MACHINE ONLY READS IT AT 12
00GZ. HOW DO I CHANGE IT TO 1600 HGZ WITH OUT MESSING UP MY OVERCLOCK SETTING?

THANKS

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Your post is called threadjacking. It doesn't even belong in the cooler and heatsinks sub forum. Using caps like that means nothing.

Make your post in the right forum, under your own new thread. You really got a lot to learn.

I won't even answer your question because of your poor manners.

Go stand in the corner!