Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer turns off while playing games

Last response: in Components
January 26, 2009 9:50:09 PM

My computer had been working fine until just recently when it started to shut itself off while playing certain games . It's strange since if only does it sometimes and only on games like Cod4: MW . My first thought was maybe it was overheating but i can play Far Cry 2 for hours with no problem. Using speedfan i get these temperatures while just sitting in Windows:

Temp1 : 29C
Temp2: 87C (which i believe is my motherboard since Pc wizard reports the same temperature as my mobo)
Temp3: 39C( which is probably my Power supply since Pc wizard reports the same temp for my ps)
HDO :29C
Core:33C
CCC reports my gpu at 34C
And here are the components .

Amd 6000 125 watt verison
Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H
4 gigs of Adata ddr 800
Asus 4850 512mb ( with a duorb recently installed )
Rosewill 630watt powersupply
500 gig wd hd
Vista home premium 64 bit
Xtremegamer pro soundcard

Any ideas guys ?
January 27, 2009 11:41:44 AM

Have you loaded anything new on your PC, like drivers or windows updates ?? Try a system restore ??
January 27, 2009 12:06:50 PM

Download malwarebytes and run it then do a virus scan
If you don't find anything then the problem is with cod4 , i have had quite a few customers that play cod4 on pc have same problem.

It may be also a hack or virus on other players computers causing your os to shutdown make sure you have ALL updates installed.

Also try installing a good firewall and see if that fixes the problem.

Also try playing cod4 single player with the lan cable pulled out just to see.
Related resources
January 27, 2009 12:12:19 PM

Usually when the PC shuts down it is PSU, if it errors on other things it bsods or restarts.

Try running FurMark stability test for 10 minutes, as it is a benchmark that drains maximum power from GPU and also uses the CPU a lot.

If FurMark works, do a memory test and check temps/driver after that.
January 27, 2009 12:32:14 PM

Well 87C is pretty hot for motherboard temp if that get to hot it would cause restart, I would try other program to make sure its showing the right temp to be sure.
January 27, 2009 12:43:08 PM

Hi folks,

My first instinct is power. When a system reboots during heavy 3D work its rebooting when power consumption is peaking. Forgive any spelling errors I'm in a hurry. You system would run just fine the rest of the time. The Rosewill PSU isn't really a very good unit. It would probably run fine for years in an office pc (albiet expensively) where high loads aren't really put on it. It might not have enough juice available on one of the rails to power something like a 125W TDP CPU under heavy load or a 4850 under full draw.

This is appears to be a classic case where an inexpensive PSU rated at 630 is really only putting out around 300 reliably or It can put out 630 but only additively over all 4 rails and you are overloading one of them.

Just to be clear you don't need a bigger PSU. You just need a more appropriate one. A high qualty 450 - 500 would do just fine.
January 27, 2009 6:35:31 PM

I had a PC that did this - bad Power Supply. A crash will give blue screen or reboot. To just completely shut off is unusual. Even with a fairly large PS like yours, you may be running close on total amp for one of the outputs. You might try blowing the PS out good with canned air. Maybe its just not getting enough air movement to keep cool.
January 27, 2009 6:39:30 PM

Also - 87 degrees is getting on up there. I would try to get whatever that is to run cooler with a heat sink or small fan.... Depending upon what it is. At 87, you won't be able to touch whatever it is more than VERY briefly - it will be very hot.
January 27, 2009 7:17:56 PM

I have had the same problem.
I removed my sound card to another PCI slot so the space between graphic card and sound card became bigger.
This caused a better air flow and no problems since.
January 27, 2009 9:29:32 PM

Agreed, PSU is likely the cause...

Also as Fire-started mentioned, airflow is a beautiful thing! 87 is horrific unless that is the Vid card...
January 28, 2009 12:20:07 AM

I agree it's probably that Rosewill PSU gone bad. 87 is really high, but not enough to cause the system to shut down. That said though, I wouldnt want to see 87 anywhere in the tower! Maybe add another fan or two to the case when you replace the PSU.

Look at an Antec Earthwatts 500W, it's a good PSU that will get the job done. Or PC Power & Cooling or Corsair in the 500W - 600W range should be fine.

Good luck!
January 28, 2009 12:32:03 AM

Figure out what is 87 Celcius and fix it.

Turn the computer off and touch stuff.

Don't sue me. It's gunna burn you.

The first hot thing may not be correct.

Lets hope it a bad sensor.

I would be kidding but I've actually done this but I am laughing while i type.

If you have better tools use them instead.

thoughts

These guys say an overclocked x2 6000 hovers around 72 Celcius. Maybe you need a better cooler.

http://hothardware.com/articles/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-6000/?...

January 28, 2009 2:18:32 AM

my 6000+ didnt run anywhere near that hot with the stock cooler. On stock clock it would be less than 40C all the time, and barely above 40C when it was OCd to 3.225 GHz. Now that I have a better cooler, the idles are around 27C, and full load around 35C. I gave up on the overclock and under volted the proc, so it is now running 1.05V at 3GHz. Have no system temps anywhere near 80C.
January 28, 2009 5:43:52 AM

My old AMD rig reports Temp2 readings of high 70's all the time in speedfan. I still don't know why but there's no way anything in there is that hot (it's still running in my wife's PC). It's been ran hard for years with no problems, I just quit worrying about it.

I would also be looking at the PSU as the suspect, primarily because it's a Rosewill.
January 28, 2009 6:12:12 AM

Download and run Prime95 and ATitool and run them both for 30 minutes atleast and see what happens

Other things - cut the power dust out the main stuff in the pc - video and cpu HSF's and replace the cpu hsf's thermal paste.

What sort of shut down are we talking about anyhow? Total power cut? or blank or reset? video card usually will artifact before total cut out etc but then again...
November 24, 2009 1:01:04 AM

I am having a similar problem and have racked my brain to find the answer. I recently left Korea and packed up all my computer parts and came home. I bought a case and generic power supply and began having the system power off in the middle of playing Heroes of Newerth. I had the power supply exchanged for a better one and it still shut off. The computer store ran tests and benchmarks on both power supplies at the shop and said there were no issues and could not recreate the problem. Could the issue be the outlets in my parents house? There are no error reports as the computer shuts down to quickly to record one. It just powers off and stays off until I turn it on again using the button.

What do you think?
November 24, 2009 11:23:18 AM

so the computer just shuts down normally u mean?... seems more like a malware problem... sasser is known to shutdown pcs.. and also leaking capactors on mobo.... check you mobo closely..
November 24, 2009 7:28:47 PM

No it is not a normal shutdown, it just suddenly turns off as if someone yanked the plug out.
November 26, 2009 4:57:25 PM

so must be issue with your power supply!
Anonymous
December 11, 2009 5:28:18 PM

i'm guest to this forum ;] but i got good solution for sudenly turning off pc
Had same problem once ;] i looked alover internet for solutions and i must say most of them were time taking and no results besides what i already knew.
So i took things in my hands, unscrewed whole pc and what i noticed was ;
Loads of " dust " alover... quickly hovered it all and brushed with Paint Brush ( works for me ) and since than i regulary do it.
Since i didnt expirienced any errors.
i Recommend trying this b4 Surfing alover internet

Ralph
January 3, 2010 10:06:42 PM

This is going to sound off the wall but when I mess with my Nvidia settings in there control panel I get the same thing. This happens on BF2 and CodMw. Complete shutdown. And I have high end equipment.

Try video card drivers first then try removing the sound card and try it.

My rig; 2 x GTX 295’s (quad sli) water cooled
MSI NF980-G65 MB
2 x Raptor 300’s in raid 0
2x raptor 150’s (clear tops)
Razor Barracuda sound card
8 gig Dominator DDR 3
AMD Phenom 965
January 4, 2010 10:35:04 AM

If monitor shuts itself off while playing "High graphic games" and then you have to force shut down the PC, your problem is the Graphic Card.
Save yourself some time and go replace it if you still have your guarantee list :) 

Already 5 of these problems ont his forum...
January 12, 2010 8:38:31 PM

I have had the same problem with cod4 MW. It just shutsdown after about 5-10minutes.
I have a:
Athlon 5600+ dualcore
860w Apower gtaming Power supply
Gainward 250 GTS 512mb
2gb DDR2 Ram
Windows 7 64-bit
The game works fine in my brother's computer and it is a fairly similar system. I have the latest Nvidia Drivvers and all the motherboard drivers. My computer plays Fallout 3 on highest settings, PROTOTYPE on highest settings, and Assassin's Creed on highest settings(all with x4 anti-aliasing) plzz help.
January 17, 2010 6:00:40 PM

I think it is a issue with Win7 64. I have three gaming machines that are all teh same (I use to own a gaming LAN Center). For kicks I just installed win7 64 on all of them. Now they all just randomly shut down all teh power when playing a game. I have downloaded the new nvidia motherboard and video drivers and still nothing. It has to be wind7 64 as they all worked flawlessly for teh last year on XP.
January 21, 2010 8:58:30 PM

I am currently having this problem, and I do not want to start a new post about it, my computer just randomly shuts off while gaming, and this isn't the first time, its been doing it for a while. At first I was playing games and it would shut off on things like bioshock then I plugged the computer into a different socket and it worked fine untill today, its done it 3 times already. Should I try to get some dust out of it or just trash it and get a new one (talking about the power supply).

I have a 550 watt Thermaltake, and its enough to power all my parts in my rig.
January 21, 2010 9:01:09 PM

average joe said:
Figure out what is 87 Celcius and fix it.

Turn the computer off and touch stuff.

Don't sue me. It's gunna burn you.

The first hot thing may not be correct.

Lets hope it a bad sensor.

I would be kidding but I've actually done this but I am laughing while i type.

If you have better tools use them instead.

thoughts

These guys say an overclocked x2 6000 hovers around 72 Celcius. Maybe you need a better cooler.

http://hothardware.com/articles/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-6000/?...

If you have an AMD CPU your rig wont just shut off if it is overheating, I could be wrong but I heard that Intel is the only processor to do that, AMD will just go until it frys
January 30, 2010 7:04:33 PM

I have the same problem, computer shuts off while playing COD: MW

My system is brand new, I just built it on 1-25-10

-Core i7 2.8Ghz
-Biostar T5XE
-Corsair XMS3 4GB
-PNY nvidia GTS250
-Raidmax RX-500s 500 Watt
-Windows 7

GPU temp log shows around 70C at shut down. Can't seem to find a CPU temp logger, so i don't know CPU tem at shut down. during game play CPU stays around 60C. The nvidia card requires 150 Watts and the PSU puts out 22 Amp at 12 volt if my math is correct thats 264 Watts thats avalible. I don't think my PSU is the problem.

-I've tested my system memory using Memtest86 2.11
-I've tested my GPU using FurMark
-I've tested my CPU using Prime95

No problems occurred in any of these tests

Any ideas on what the problem my be?
February 27, 2010 12:04:00 PM

It seen that no one had solve the problem yet. =.='''

Pass years or month my comp still ok while playing dota or some others games. But now when i play for less den 5mins, the comp power will just cut off. But there are still light on the system. And i can't start my comp by pressing the button so many time but power seen to have on the system and mouse too, but just can't start when pressing the button. After long hrs, i try it again den it might can start up. BUT, my comp still can't play games now. For like normal enter those web site like facebook, goole search etc... still able too. Flash game it also cut off my power too.

Is it my CMOS batt low or corruption of BIOS to cause this problem?
March 9, 2010 5:06:57 AM

I too have a power off problem (windows XP Pro) while playing certain games (Bioshock, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Juarez). Computer powers off as if you did a shut down. I hit the power on button and it starts up but powers down again on its own. I push power button again and it starts but ask me if i want to start in safe mode. I have had this PC for a year and never had this problem.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Unknow
System Model: Unknow
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Page File: 325MB used, 6933MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.9621 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 1/11/2010 22:03:34, 6359168 bytes

March 9, 2010 7:15:24 PM

Hmmm after a long time of reading all these post's here, i think it's windows 7 that is the issue here.

i do have the same problem, my computer just randomly shut's down, like if u just pulled the plug, and starst booten up again,
i used to run vista on this pc, and wanted to try windows 7 and after the installation of this new OS, my computer started to shut of randomly, i have tryed cleaning for dust, i even put on new cooling paste on cpu and the other cooling plate on the motherboard (dont know the name of that part), but with no succes, my computer can shut down while doing nothing only displaying the wallpaper, so no extra heat is build up at all, hope this will help :D 
March 9, 2010 7:18:15 PM

i will soon try vista to see if it removes the problem, but plz let us know if someone have allready tryed that out.
March 15, 2010 7:23:18 PM

Well I’m back and the problem has returned, its not the PSU and its not my temps....I have noticed threw these posts the common denominator is Nvidia Video cards.....must be the drivers. I also base this on when I was playing CODMW and tweaked the settings threw Nvidia system tools, mu system would completely turn off. Now its happening on BBC. I have a new PSU (1220 watts)

Here is my system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w52tArRo29s

March 15, 2010 9:04:54 PM

i have installed vista right back on my system and havent had any shut down's at all since
March 20, 2010 10:41:54 PM

Jabin said:
I too have a power off problem (windows XP Pro) while playing certain games (Bioshock, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Juarez). Computer powers off as if you did a shut down. I hit the power on button and it starts up but powers down again on its own. I push power button again and it starts but ask me if i want to start in safe mode. I have had this PC for a year and never had this problem.

Same exact issue. I'm running Vista Pro 64 bit. Has just started recently.

At first I thought it was a heating issue, that's what many people told me. I switched out my Nvidia 9800 GT for the stock GPU (nvidia GT 120) and had the same problem. No idea what's causing it. It might be the drivers? But that doesn't offer any solution. Would it help to revert to old drivers? How would one go about doing this, I don't think the Nvidia website offers downloads for their old drivers do they?

Edit:
Oh and it happens on a variety of games, Heroes of Newerth, CoD, SC2... On high graphics and low graphics.
March 24, 2010 3:59:52 AM

Just curious are the games that crash all powered by Steam? Because mine are. I guess I need to test on a non Steam new game! I have had this PC for a year and just recently re-installed steam games before the problems began. I first purchased COD5 MW2 a few months ago and no problems but when I purchased Left 4 Dead 2 and played it a few weeks it started crashing my PC, and actually crashed more and more as I played and recently quit crashing and I can play through a whole Versus campain now. Now I can play COD5 MW2 and it crashes randomly. Please reply all.
March 24, 2010 4:15:57 AM

It can be a overheating problem also.
March 24, 2010 4:19:43 AM

So I did 2 things.

1. Reverted to an old Nvidia driver.

2. Popped open the frame and put a fan on it.

Haven't had a single problem since.
March 24, 2010 11:46:23 PM

hi there iv been having same problems but not !!!
iv got a pny 9800gt and i get no problems with it with any thing
then iv got a sapphire 4830 and when i use this card unreal 3 plays for about 20 mins then pc shuts down i no its not the card as iv got 2 i was going to crossfire
unreal is the only game i get this with and my 4830 runs loads better than my 9800gt with every thing els
my pc setup is
amd 550 all cores unlocked runing at 3.4
gigabye ma790xt-ud4p
Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Ballistix Memory Kit CL6 1.8V
antec true power trio tp3-550
April 6, 2010 11:32:21 AM

sickdog said:
Hmmm after a long time of reading all these post's here, i think it's windows 7 that is the issue here.

If anyone has any idea Please assist

i do have the same problem, my computer just randomly shut's down, like if u just pulled the plug, and starst booten up again,
i used to run vista on this pc, and wanted to try windows 7 and after the installation of this new OS, my computer started to shut of randomly, i have tryed cleaning for dust, i even put on new cooling paste on cpu and the other cooling plate on the motherboard (dont know the name of that part), but with no succes, my computer can shut down while doing nothing only displaying the wallpaper, so no extra heat is build up at all, hope this will help :D 

Hi all i don't want to start a new thread, maybe we can put our equipment and heads together and try to isolate the problem here

I have built this PC with brand new parts:
Intel Q6600 on Asus P5P43TD-Pro Motherboard
DDR3 2GB Kingmax Ram with memory coolers ~ Memtest reports no errors
Sparkle Nvidia GTS250 1GB DDR3 Grafics card. ~ Current Resolution = 1080 x 1920
1000w ATX2.0+ PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Tried hard drives in IDE mode and AHCI, with no difference to issue at hand ~ a forum somewhere suggested this could be a problem, but not the case. Currently even enabled the jumper on my WD2000J hard drive to enable opt1

Tried various drivers and combinations thereof mentioned by different forums with no luck. One forum suggested the Asus Jmicron drivers faulty so i have even upgraded this, another said the Realtek drivers had a bug, and i tried combinations of this too. All my drivers are up to date including the Sparkle Nvidia driver and Original Nvidia driver (higher version)

I tried OC the board, and normal mode with ASUS turbo key

Everything works fine as normal, converting video, watching TV videos, etc. Temps are all ranging between 30'C ~ 45'C for CPU and VGA as i have additional fans on the case. Only while gaming esp COD5 W@W my pc would just randomly after 10mins- 45mins freeze and need a hard reboot sometimes with loopy/choppy audio, or reboot itself without warning. sometimes locking at a black screen during boot, where i have to hit the reset switch and it reboots fine. sometimes if Asus Turbokey is on, then i get ASUS OC Failed, F1 to run setup, then all is well again.

Temps are from various monitoring tools i got from web, NHC, Rivatuner, ASUS mobo utilities from their site, etc.

I have even gone to the point of swapping components with my supplier for the same:
Mobo, graphics card, CPU, Ram, PSU, with no luck and the problem still occurs. Reinstalled Win7 32bit, on a new drive and still the same issue. All components are on manufacturer compatibility list, so you can say i have tried as much as i could find on different forums, with no luck.

I find nothing on event logs, not even a memory dump with disable automatic restart off. no conflicts on device manager. I run Comodo disabled as well and the machine still reboots or locks up randomly.

I suspect a patch needed from Win 7, COD, or one of the HW manufacturers. do we all have something in common?
Maybe the win 7 aero theme could be causing the issue when changing backgrounds?
I tried running in compatibility mode and still no luck.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, if i did, but i thought the more detail i provided and everyone can we can maybe find a common denominator.
April 7, 2010 4:13:48 AM

Its not Win 7, I'm using Win XPPro. I'm leaning towards a problem with Steam.
I too can find nothing in event logs, just rebooting and connecting info. Question: Is everyone on Steam when this occurs?
April 7, 2010 7:16:02 AM

I am not using steam or punkbuster, just solo games and it happens. Somehow I think i may have narrowed it down to Bus Speeds.

These are
My ram works normally on 1600MHz, ASUS P5P43TD Pro MB specifies 1600MHz(O.C) as one of the speeds it supports, Only if you overclock it. If you have everything in the Bios set to Auto, and enabled, then like me you should see on the bios boot screen that the DDR3 is running way too low 1066MHz I am not sure what settings to do on the board if someone can help me tweak the bios manually, please help. I when i choose XMP 1600MHz the pc will not boot up

I have just changed the bus speed to 1600MHz on manual, and disabled spread spectrum and a few other things.

Also ASUS recommend using the orange RAM slots instead of the black ones so last night i swapped them over, booted up the machine... It took a while, and seemed slower than normal for a while. Switched Asus turbokey to Rocket, and tried out COD5 W@W. from where i was(2nd last Mission), i managed to finish the game and saw credits. sorry i couldnt test more, but i will retry a few missions and see how well it does.

Can someone who has similar HW try this out and let me know if they see an improvement as well?

PS. strangely enough me GTA San Andreas will not start up,double click the icon, waiting icon for a few seconds, then nothing. I even tried compatibility mode with no luck.
April 7, 2010 8:46:58 PM

Are you sure that you are not accidentally touching the Windows key or that other little one beside it?
April 7, 2010 9:40:07 PM

dedsetmad said:
Are you sure that you are not accidentally touching the Windows key or that other little one beside it?

No windows key does not trigger the freeze, even in action scenes, all other apps are killed

After i moved the ram to orange slots and mods mentioned above, i can WinKey + Tab to switch applications, COD5 and GTA SA dont freeze anymore, however i now get freezes while media centre is running TV or movie and i am encoding dvd from handbrake
April 12, 2010 9:26:02 PM

My system is a Dell Vostro 200 with a ATI 2400 pro graphics card and Vista. I would intermittent power off hard. Just powering it back on it work for fine for quite awhile. After I did a 7 upgrade the problems got worst and more often. It would not power on, it would hang at the starting windows screen, the card reader would not read. Pulling the memory and putting it back in fixed all these problems. All of the trouble shooting pointed to the memory. Dell replaced the mother board and memory. Still had the same problem. Dell replaced the Hard drive and memory. With he hard drive new I had to install 7 it would do just fine load all the files but when it did a restart it would do a hard power off at starting windows logo. Dell had me remove the graphics card and install 7 every thing went like it should. Then instead of sending a new graphics card they wanted to load the driver for the card. Which I did I did a restart about 20 time and a power up and down the same. It did not have any problems. But this was just with the OS and the drivers.
I started putting my stuff back on the hard drive and it was doing a lot of restart to complete the in stall. Then after a restart it hung at starting windows logo. Pulled the memory and it booted just fine. Then I installed my flight simulator. I was running the flight simulator and the system power off Hard. Dell is sending a new graphics card.

Form my experience I would need a new graphics card

Eldon
April 12, 2010 9:41:36 PM

thats a major problem with Dell HP, and the like, the dont cater for OC and gaming. they limit you from the bios from OC. I seem to sense its an issue with our bus speeds, and bios clock settings my system has been quite stable for now since my last tweaks, just the occasional reboot, once a day, but not through gaming but video conversions
April 14, 2010 8:21:30 AM

Same problem for me, too. Windows Vista x64, Steam games, Nvidia card. I just tried the latest Nvidia drivers released today in hopes of it solving the problem, but not the case. I even tried playing older games like Rome Total War and it shut down even before the graphic intense battle scenes.

I built my computer from scratch a couple years ago and update it regularly along with physical cleaning. Just blew everything out again and re-assembled, and still the same issue. This never happened at all before about a month ago. My power supply is an Earthwatts and I have an Nvidia 9600GT. The computer is absolutely fine when not playing games.

I even changed the setting in the BIOs to do an alarm when CPU and system temp get above a certain level instead of just shutting down... didn't make a difference. Also unplugged some other stuff from the same power outlet... same as before.

I can't figure this out, but it could be worth trying older Nvidia drivers (195.XX or so).
April 14, 2010 8:34:10 AM

cjmcmahon said:
Same problem for me, too. Windows Vista x64, Steam games, Nvidia card. I just tried the latest Nvidia drivers released today in hopes of it solving the problem, but not the case. I even tried playing older games like Rome Total War and it shut down even before the graphic intense battle scenes.

I built my computer from scratch a couple years ago and update it regularly along with physical cleaning. Just blew everything out again and re-assembled, and still the same issue. This never happened at all before about a month ago. My power supply is an Earthwatts and I have an Nvidia 9600GT. The computer is absolutely fine when not playing games.

I even changed the setting in the BIOs to do an alarm when CPU and system temp get above a certain level instead of just shutting down... didn't make a difference. Also unplugged some other stuff from the same power outlet... same as before.

I can't figure this out, but it could be worth trying older Nvidia drivers (195.XX or so).

three possible resolutions, please post results for the benefits of others :) 

I would suggest, check any software, drivers and updates that was installed, this might be a cause, secondly a memtest could be another check.

Sometimes blowing the dust off might work, but also a cool trick i works sometimes is to take an eraser and rub off the grime that builds up on the ram/ graffix card pins. it may not be visible but does affect conductivity. be careful though and use antistatic environment.

Edit: It could also be a bus speed conflict somewhere along the line

hope this helps you :) 
April 14, 2010 8:51:40 AM

sickdog said:

It might be windows 7 but I doubt it. I have two pc's running W7 and only the one shuts down while playing games or running big files on cad when I do normal stuff like browsing etc it doesn't shut down at all. The other pc, which is alot older runs smoothly. I think it may be the power supply.
April 14, 2010 10:42:34 AM

hanzi said:
It might be windows 7 but I doubt it. I have two pc's running W7 and only the one shuts down while playing games or running big files on cad when I do normal stuff like browsing etc it doesn't shut down at all. The other pc, which is alot older runs smoothly. I think it may be the power supply.

A power supply is important too, depending on your setup, I run a 1000W and i still get random shutdowns sometimes. My laptop running W7 however never shuts down, i have never rebooted since setting up. I only close the lid to sleep. This has been running since dec 09 like this, then again the windows updates are switched off
April 14, 2010 10:07:14 PM

wolfwood77 said:
My computer had been working fine until just recently when it started to shut itself off while playing certain games . It's strange since if only does it sometimes and only on games like Cod4: MW . My first thought was maybe it was overheating but i can play Far Cry 2 for hours with no problem. Using speedfan i get these temperatures while just sitting in Windows:

Temp1 : 29C
Temp2: 87C (which i believe is my motherboard since Pc wizard reports the same temperature as my mobo)
Temp3: 39C( which is probably my Power supply since Pc wizard reports the same temp for my ps)
HDO :29C
Core:33C
CCC reports my gpu at 34C
And here are the components .

Amd 6000 125 watt verison
Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H
4 gigs of Adata ddr 800
Asus 4850 512mb ( with a duorb recently installed )
Rosewill 630watt powersupply
500 gig wd hd
Vista home premium 64 bit
Xtremegamer pro soundcard

Any ideas guys ?

!