Computer turns off while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfwood77

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
My computer had been working fine until just recently when it started to shut itself off while playing certain games . It's strange since if only does it sometimes and only on games like Cod4: MW . My first thought was maybe it was overheating but i can play Far Cry 2 for hours with no problem. Using speedfan i get these temperatures while just sitting in Windows:

Temp1 : 29C
Temp2: 87C (which i believe is my motherboard since Pc wizard reports the same temperature as my mobo)
Temp3: 39C( which is probably my Power supply since Pc wizard reports the same temp for my ps)
HDO :29C
Core:33C
CCC reports my gpu at 34C
And here are the components .

Amd 6000 125 watt verison
Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H
4 gigs of Adata ddr 800
Asus 4850 512mb ( with a duorb recently installed )
Rosewill 630watt powersupply
500 gig wd hd
Vista home premium 64 bit
Xtremegamer pro soundcard

Any ideas guys ?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Download malwarebytes and run it then do a virus scan
If you don't find anything then the problem is with cod4 , i have had quite a few customers that play cod4 on pc have same problem.

It may be also a hack or virus on other players computers causing your os to shutdown make sure you have ALL updates installed.

Also try installing a good firewall and see if that fixes the problem.

Also try playing cod4 single player with the lan cable pulled out just to see.

GNR

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Usually when the PC shuts down it is PSU, if it errors on other things it bsods or restarts.

Try running FurMark stability test for 10 minutes, as it is a benchmark that drains maximum power from GPU and also uses the CPU a lot.

If FurMark works, do a memory test and check temps/driver after that.

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Well 87C is pretty hot for motherboard temp if that get to hot it would cause restart, I would try other program to make sure its showing the right temp to be sure.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Hi folks,

My first instinct is power. When a system reboots during heavy 3D work its rebooting when power consumption is peaking. Forgive any spelling errors I'm in a hurry. You system would run just fine the rest of the time. The Rosewill PSU isn't really a very good unit. It would probably run fine for years in an office pc (albiet expensively) where high loads aren't really put on it. It might not have enough juice available on one of the rails to power something like a 125W TDP CPU under heavy load or a 4850 under full draw.

This is appears to be a classic case where an inexpensive PSU rated at 630 is really only putting out around 300 reliably or It can put out 630 but only additively over all 4 rails and you are overloading one of them.

Just to be clear you don't need a bigger PSU. You just need a more appropriate one. A high qualty 450 - 500 would do just fine.

duanes

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I had a PC that did this - bad Power Supply. A crash will give blue screen or reboot. To just completely shut off is unusual. Even with a fairly large PS like yours, you may be running close on total amp for one of the outputs. You might try blowing the PS out good with canned air. Maybe its just not getting enough air movement to keep cool.

duanes

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Also - 87 degrees is getting on up there. I would try to get whatever that is to run cooler with a heat sink or small fan.... Depending upon what it is. At 87, you won't be able to touch whatever it is more than VERY briefly - it will be very hot.

Fire-starter

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I have had the same problem.
I removed my sound card to another PCI slot so the space between graphic card and sound card became bigger.
This caused a better air flow and no problems since.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Agreed, PSU is likely the cause...

Also as Fire-started mentioned, airflow is a beautiful thing! 87 is horrific unless that is the Vid card...

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
I agree it's probably that Rosewill PSU gone bad. 87 is really high, but not enough to cause the system to shut down. That said though, I wouldnt want to see 87 anywhere in the tower! Maybe add another fan or two to the case when you replace the PSU.

Look at an Antec Earthwatts 500W, it's a good PSU that will get the job done. Or PC Power & Cooling or Corsair in the 500W - 600W range should be fine.

Good luck!

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Figure out what is 87 Celcius and fix it.

Turn the computer off and touch stuff.

Don't sue me. It's gunna burn you.

The first hot thing may not be correct.

Lets hope it a bad sensor.

I would be kidding but I've actually done this but I am laughing while i type.

If you have better tools use them instead.

thoughts

These guys say an overclocked x2 6000 hovers around 72 Celcius. Maybe you need a better cooler.

http://hothardware.com/articles/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-6000/?page=2

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
my 6000+ didnt run anywhere near that hot with the stock cooler. On stock clock it would be less than 40C all the time, and barely above 40C when it was OCd to 3.225 GHz. Now that I have a better cooler, the idles are around 27C, and full load around 35C. I gave up on the overclock and under volted the proc, so it is now running 1.05V at 3GHz. Have no system temps anywhere near 80C.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
My old AMD rig reports Temp2 readings of high 70's all the time in speedfan. I still don't know why but there's no way anything in there is that hot (it's still running in my wife's PC). It's been ran hard for years with no problems, I just quit worrying about it.

I would also be looking at the PSU as the suspect, primarily because it's a Rosewill.

Download and run Prime95 and ATitool and run them both for 30 minutes atleast and see what happens

Other things - cut the power dust out the main stuff in the pc - video and cpu HSF's and replace the cpu hsf's thermal paste.

What sort of shut down are we talking about anyhow? Total power cut? or blank or reset? video card usually will artifact before total cut out etc but then again...

simian

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I am having a similar problem and have racked my brain to find the answer. I recently left Korea and packed up all my computer parts and came home. I bought a case and generic power supply and began having the system power off in the middle of playing Heroes of Newerth. I had the power supply exchanged for a better one and it still shut off. The computer store ran tests and benchmarks on both power supplies at the shop and said there were no issues and could not recreate the problem. Could the issue be the outlets in my parents house? There are no error reports as the computer shuts down to quickly to record one. It just powers off and stays off until I turn it on again using the button.

What do you think?

spaceboy_24

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
so the computer just shuts down normally u mean?... seems more like a malware problem... sasser is known to shutdown pcs.. and also leaking capactors on mobo.... check you mobo closely..

G

i'm guest to this forum ;] but i got good solution for sudenly turning off pc
Had same problem once ;] i looked alover internet for solutions and i must say most of them were time taking and no results besides what i already knew.
So i took things in my hands, unscrewed whole pc and what i noticed was ;
Loads of " dust " alover... quickly hovered it all and brushed with Paint Brush ( works for me ) and since than i regulary do it.
Since i didnt expirienced any errors.
i Recommend trying this b4 Surfing alover internet

Ralph

jesseleite

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
This is going to sound off the wall but when I mess with my Nvidia settings in there control panel I get the same thing. This happens on BF2 and CodMw. Complete shutdown. And I have high end equipment.

Try video card drivers first then try removing the sound card and try it.

My rig; 2 x GTX 295’s (quad sli) water cooled
MSI NF980-G65 MB
2 x Raptor 300’s in raid 0
2x raptor 150’s (clear tops)
Razor Barracuda sound card
8 gig Dominator DDR 3
AMD Phenom 965

traxix

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
If monitor shuts itself off while playing "High graphic games" and then you have to force shut down the PC, your problem is the Graphic Card.
Save yourself some time and go replace it if you still have your guarantee list :)

Already 5 of these problems ont his forum...

DarkOverlord64

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I have had the same problem with cod4 MW. It just shutsdown after about 5-10minutes.
I have a:
Athlon 5600+ dualcore
860w Apower gtaming Power supply
Gainward 250 GTS 512mb
2gb DDR2 Ram
Windows 7 64-bit
The game works fine in my brother's computer and it is a fairly similar system. I have the latest Nvidia Drivvers and all the motherboard drivers. My computer plays Fallout 3 on highest settings, PROTOTYPE on highest settings, and Assassin's Creed on highest settings(all with x4 anti-aliasing) plzz help.

tdool

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I think it is a issue with Win7 64. I have three gaming machines that are all teh same (I use to own a gaming LAN Center). For kicks I just installed win7 64 on all of them. Now they all just randomly shut down all teh power when playing a game. I have downloaded the new nvidia motherboard and video drivers and still nothing. It has to be wind7 64 as they all worked flawlessly for teh last year on XP.

Yorkylol

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I am currently having this problem, and I do not want to start a new post about it, my computer just randomly shuts off while gaming, and this isn't the first time, its been doing it for a while. At first I was playing games and it would shut off on things like bioshock then I plugged the computer into a different socket and it worked fine untill today, its done it 3 times already. Should I try to get some dust out of it or just trash it and get a new one (talking about the power supply).

I have a 550 watt Thermaltake, and its enough to power all my parts in my rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.