Resolved: GA-MA790FXT-UD5P boot problems

miniapple3

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Resolved! Bad sata2 cable, power supply rails need to be split, each piece of hardware on a seperate power rail, moved to onboard ATI sata controllers. Thanks

I need some higher help! My board will boot, from a power disconnected start not finding harddrive and display
Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
AMD Data Change..Update New Data to DMI!
Boot from CD/DVD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
at this point I will Ctrl-Alt-Delete and it will come up finding the harddrive and display:
Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
AMD Data Change..Update New Data to DMI!
Boot from CD/DVD :
_ this underline mark will blink forever. Ctrl-Alt-Delete gets the second part again, again, again.

I have the must up to date BIOS installed and it will boot PCLinuxOS or Simply Mepis live CDs okay. I have one harddrive connected to the Gigbyte GSata block in GSata2_0, the drives are never found in the AMD 750 controller block. I am starting to think the motherboard is bad, it does not seem to have dual BIOS on it???? as stated.
System below, thanks for any help.-David

AMD Phenom II X3 710
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
G.Skill (2 x 2GB DDR3)F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
WD Caviar Black (1TB) WD1001FALS
HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Turbo 512MB DDR3
Samsung SH-S222L 22x DVD±RW PATA DVD, Sabrent CRW-UINB

bilbat

Splendid
It sure sounds like you just don't have your hard drive in your BIOS' boot sequence - it keeps 'looking at' the CD/DVD, and will boot off a CD; it's on the BIOS' "Advanced BIOS Features' page... BTW - if your BIOS was trashed, you wouldn't be seeing anything on the screen; you'll never discover that you have dual BIOS unless something horrid happens...

redsilv0729

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I have the same Giga-byte board and the same problem as miniapple3 is happening to me. It won't even let me enter the bios. I restart over and over and over again and no matter what I do it won't let me enter the bios to change settings.....just a black screen with a cursor blinking. Also I have a SATA hard drive and Vista 64-bit and when I try to load it when it gets to the part where it is expanding files it freezes on 1%....I tried to load the SATA drivers it called for in the motherboard book but nothing is displayed in that directory for me to click on. I am getting very frustrated over this....I am to the point of sending it back and getting a replacement...I only had the board for 3 days!!! Did this from the very beginning!!!

miniapple3

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
redsilv0729, do you have a SATA cd rom or a PATA cd rom? I went to a PATA and had an easier time. I could always get into the BIOS but it went by very quick on startup. I have not tried to install a windows OS on the system, I am running PCLinuxOS, has SimplyMephis on for while.

AMD Phenom II X3 710
G.Skill (2 x 2GB DDR3)F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
WD Caviar Black (2 x 1TB) WD1001FALS (RAID 1)
MSI N9600GT 512M DDR3 9600GT RT
Samsung SH-S222L 22x DVD±RW PATA DVD
Sonata III box w/500 Earthwatts

redsilv0729

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I have everything SATA....hard drive, dvd-rom and dvd-rw. I am calling Newegg.com back where I purchased the motherboard and getting a replacement and see if a new one is any better....I have 30 days to return it. If I have the same problems with the new one I will know its some compatibility problem with the SATA. This is my first computer with anything SATA so I am a little unaware of any problems people have had in the past with them. Thanks for the info. miniapple3!!! I might have to do that. The bios does go by fast but it didn't matter when I hit delete it wouldn't go into it. I shouldn't have to screw around with it like that. I will let you know how things go when I get the new motherboard here in about a week or so. :)

miniapple3

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
It sure sounds like a deffective board, I had good luck with Gigabyte's tech service, both phone & online. NewEgg always takes care of there customers! Make sure you are plugged into the main SATA block (blue color) the other white ones are troublesome. I would try to get an old PATA cd/dvd for the install the 1st time.

redsilv0729

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I sent the board back so I am just waiting to get the new one. I got Corsair memory...it wasn't listed on the Giga-byte website (I know its bad not to go with that list) but Corsair had a memory support list and this memory was listed for this Gigabyte board.

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=867642

I got the enthusiast memory they have listed there. Here is the link for the memory on the newegg site.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145198&Tpk=TW3X4G1333C9DHX

Everyone I have talked to about this tells me they think that the cmos chip was fried. So hopefully the new board will give me better luck.

redsilv0729

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
OK so tonight I got my new motherboard from Newegg. I installed it and it did the exact same thing the other one did...wouldn't let me enter the bios...Windows Vista locking up on me. I got on the giga-byte website and downloaded the latest bios update (F3L) and flashed the bios and that totally fixed the bios problem...i restarted the computer 4 times and everytime it entered the bios...BUT Vista still locks up on me. I have the 64-bit version and I was told I should have ordered the 32-bit version so tonight I put in an order for the 32-bit version and we will see if that fixes my problem.

miniapple3

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I never loaded a Micro Soft product on it. My other box had MS and I could not get 64-bit Vista to work nicely, 32-bit seems to be ok on the other two boxes. If you think it is a hardware issue you could download a bootable CD iso of PCLinuxOS or something similar to test the hardware without messing up you windows install. Good Luck!

redsilv0729

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Ok so I got my Vista 32-bit CD today and installed it. During installation it locked up on me once again. Then when I tried to download windows updates it locked up on me 3 times and it keeps re-booting itself automatically. I am about ready to pull my hair out with this thing. I have never had problems building a computer like I am having with this thing. I really don't know what to do from here. I am gonna email giga-byte and see if they can help me out...if they can't i am scrapping this motherboard and getting an Asus or MSI or something. If anyone knows anything I can try let me know. I flashed the bios with the newest bios update so it can't be that. I don't know....

redsilv0729

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Ok I have a question for everyone that has this Giga-byte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard. I have a Western Digital 1TB SATA hard drive (Green edition, 32MB cache). In the bios what should I have the settings set for (Native IDE, AHCI, RAID). I do not want to set up a RAID setup....I just was a normal setup that I can install Vista on. As of now I have it on Native IDE and it locks up on me half way through Vista installation. Also, which SATA port do you have your hard drive plugged into on the motherboard? I have mine on the blue ones...actually I have all my SATA stuff plugged in on the blue connectors. I want to know what everyone else did cause I am about ready to hook up an IDE hard drive to see if the problem is with the SATA stuff. When I set it on AHCI in the bios the computer just keeps restarting itself and doesn't let me do anything. Also it gives me a setting for (IDE or SATA Type). It doesn't do anything unless I keep it on IDE everything. I read the reviews on Newegg.com about this motherboard and the majority of the people has no problems...I must be doing something wrong. Keep in mind, this is the first computer I have built since like 2002 so I am not very up to date on the SATA stuff so anyone who can help me out I would appriciate it. Thanks!

pfsagm2005

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
A few days ago I and a friend purchase the same mobo. We have experience the same issues as indicated by other people. Our conclusions follow:

1- This MOBO needs an updated driver to allow a clean boot when USB thumb drive, MP3 or external USB drives are connected. If a USB device, other than KB or mouse, are connected the booting sequence stops. We have the latest BIOS from Gigabyte and still have this issue.

2- DO NOT install the driver from windows update for the LAN controller. Use instead the one from Gigabyte or the one that came with your MOBO driver’s disk. If you already install the 'suggested' windows updated driver your NIC will go dead. To remove this 'bad' driver:
a. disable to LAN controller
b. remove the driver from "add and remove programs" in control panel
c. reboot
d. check to make sure that LAN controller is still disable, re-enable the LAN controller
e. install the driver from your MOBO driver disk
f. If you still see the driver from Win Update... your LAN will not come back on. I tried restoring to back to the date before I did the Win-Upd, this didn’t work for me… so I reformatted my drives and reinstall Win Vista Ultimate... big pain in my butt but the other option was to send a MOBO back for another one that would have the same issue if the Win-up gets installed...

3- About the system recognizing your HDs, we have ours set to RAID 0, but what other have stated applies for IDE or RAID; make sure your booting sequence is set correctly to look for the sequence that works for you. If I am trouble-shooting or installing for the first time I set it to CD ROM, HD. Once I am done I only like to boot from HD. Also if you do not have a floppy drive or other devices disable them from the booting sequence.

I have to say that this is a nice looking MOBO but how it looks to the issues it is having I am disappointed. I looked in the gigabyte web site and there is no mentioned to this issue but we all know we have having them…

redsilv0729

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I got tired of messing around with this board so I send my replacement back and ordered an MSI board and installed it and I had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with the MSI. Very clean install, very nice board. I had it installed and had Vista with all my drivers installed in under 3 hours and I have been using it for about 5 days now and I love it, no problems. I will never order another Giga-byte board EVER. I got the MSI 790FX-GD70. If you are looking for a nice AM3 board this is the one to get!!! :)

ducati9981

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Hi

I've built so far 7 rigs & have not had a problem with any of the ones I had built up until now.

Inside the rig.

Thermaltake 750W PSU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz CPU
4GB 2x 2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10666 RAM
2.5TB All Seagate Hard Drives
Powercolour ATI Radeon 4870x2 Graphics Card

I purchased this Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P not very long ago from Tekheads & first thing that was important was to update the bios to F3K directly from Gigabyte then set my system to RAID 0+4 through the SATAII slots rather than the GSATA slots. That is the only downfall with Gigabyte, if only through the GSATA slots you could link them all together as one hard drive & all you can do is link 2 Hard drives. In my opinion what a waste of time & should of just stuck to SATAII. I can see what they are trying to do but its not my cup of tea.

I did as instructed according to their manual & installed XP Professional via the IDE drive & also had to install the AMD Sata Driver provided from Gigabyte by using the F6 Key & worked a treat. I then installed Windows Vista Ultimate via the DVD & also used a flash memory drive to install the Sata driver that way & instantly recognised my hard drives. Did a clean install & all was great. Another good thing about this motherboard I didn't have to make a dual boot sceen via EasyBCD, this motherboard did it for me.

Now this is where the problem lies. I boot up, the Gigabyte logo comes up, I can get into Bios if necessary, just before the raid detection the screen freezes with a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen & also a green icon & next to it "N" toward the top middle of the screen. This is very annoying everytime I boot up & the only way to clear this is by clearing the CMOS & don't want to do this everytime I boot up, otherwise this motherboard would be fine. I have noticed that it tends to freeze quite alot. This is not normal as my ASUS Maximus Formula Motherboard never had a problem like this at all.

I was beginning to think it was something to do with the OS, but have come to the conclusion it may be linked to BIOS or Boot Up.

Any reccomendations as I have seen that quite a few of you have these sort of problems. I'm even thinking of sending the board back to Tekheads if this is a known fault.

bilbat

Splendid
First: in the future, please start a new thread; it's more likely to get a response, and makes it easier to peruse while answering - god knows a lot of these threads end up twenty or thirty 'deep' on their own!

That is the only downfall with Gigabyte, if only through the GSATA slots you could link them all together as one hard drive & all you can do is link 2 Hard drives.

That is simply not physically possible - the problem is that the 'primary' ports are 'hung' directly off the SB750 southbridge, along with the IDE channels, while the rest are run by a separate jMicron controller - different hardware = different s'ware control... If you want to run 'fake' or s'ware RAID for a 'wide stripe' setup, you need something like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115022
or, for faster, h'ware RAID (Intel IOP333 Raid processor), more money is involved:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816131004
So you can see why GB has chosen their path - if this kind of h'ware was on every (or any) board, the price would at least double... The only place you actually see solutions like these is on high-end server-specific MOBOs. Another point to be made is that if you want to run s'ware RAID, the Intel series boards are a much better (and more stable, and faster, and better supported [the ICHxR's have been around forever]) choice...

but have come to the conclusion it may be linked to BIOS or Boot Up.
May be... You mention having burned a new BIOS at startup - did you do the required "Load Optimized Defaults" after this? It is necessary to calculate and set all those 'auto's you see in the BIOS... If something didn't get set correctly through this procedure, it could be spitting up, and refusing to save other things as it's basically 'unhappy'!

ducati9981

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Yes I have checked the Bios settings & have resolved the fault. It was down to boot sequence on the hard drives & with this board you have to make sure the primary disk is the first one on boot sequence otherwise just before RAID detection, thats if anyone has set theirs to RAID mind you, the screen freezes. The board is working brilliant now. Issue resolved. Cheers anyway.

spurwin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I found a fix - don't ask me why it works.
Hit delete and enter bios
Load optimized defaults
Hit F8 and enter Q-Flash
Reset DMI data and reboot
on reboot enter bios - do not let OS load -
Hit F8 and enter Q-Flash
Reset Load CMOS Default
Reboot
It will reload without notice

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H MOBO and upgraded the processor. The processor was labled as unknown so I flashed bios with@BIOS utility to recognize new processor when problem first occurred. No longer get notice after fix. To boot faster go back into BIOS and set HDD as first boot.
Q-flash utility on my MOBO is labled v2.10 BETA.

travisk89

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
My name is Travis, and I am not very knowledgeable in computers.

Last night I was playing games just fine, woke up this morning and now my computer doesn't work. I had recently purchased a new SATA hard drive 160G, and a new graphics card Gefore 9600 GT. I have 3 gigs of ram, 2 corsaire DDR2 1G sticks, and 2 samsung 512's. I have a Gigabyte S-Series EP35C-DS3R motherboard and intel duo core 3.0 processor.

So last night i was playing games, my AVG updater was going (i have the purchased version, not the free version) and i paused it since i was noticing a tad difference in performance. I then finished gaming and proceeded to turn my computer off and go to bed.

The only thing that possibly changed is that we had intense storms that caused the power to go out. Granted i have a surge protecter.

So the problem is, whenever i start my computer up i see the Gigabyte initial screen like it has always done, and then it acts like its going to load like normal, but just restarts and goes back to that screen. I have tried to put in my windows disk and do a windows repair but it wont even get that far. I have gone into the boot menu to try and boot from CDROM but it wont do that either. I had some more computer savvy friends talk to me briefly over the phone and said it might be that the computer has forgotten what to do when it boots up and to take the steps with my windows CD but i can't get that far.

I have tried removing my ram sticks and loading with 1 stick at a time and there is no difference. Can anyone help? Please ^_^

bilbat

Splendid
Did you read this thread? I thought I just said:
...in the future, please start a new thread; it's more likely to get a response, and makes it easier to peruse while answering - god knows a lot of these threads end up twenty or thirty 'deep' on their own!
You may have just lost your CMOS settings; if you're getting the Gigabyte graphic 'splash' screen, 'peck at' the <TAB> key when it starts up to get from the 'splash' to the BIOS display, then do the same with the <DEL> key to enter the BIOS; it may take you a few tries - they're sometimes hard to 'catch'; once at the BIOS screen, cursor to the "Load Optimized Defaults", hit <ENTER/RETURN>, let it reboot - problem may be gone...

Have you just plugged in or 'turned on' a previously absent USB device? Often, older or intrinsically 'peculiar' USB devices cause bizarre problems...

Always possible that your surge protector may have failed - what brand is it? Where did you get it? Your equipment may be 'covered' for damages, if it's a good one...

travisk89

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Sorry i guess i didn't catch the new thread part but i did skim over most of this thread.

Thanks for the quick response by the way.

I did hit tab and then del and get into my bios and attempt to load the defaults but still the same problem.

I haven't put in any new usb devices at all.

Its just a surge protector i got years ago so i honestly have no idea. Still keeps restarting over and over after seeing the gigabyte screen i see the next screen for like 1/2 second before it restarts again.

If it was something with a surge, what would've been fried?

bilbat

Splendid
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "I did hit tab and then del and get into my bios and attempt to load the defaults but still the same problem." Did it appear to do the Load Optimized function? Should have given you a confirmation question, and after you affirm, it should have rebooted - did this appear to happen?

Hard to 'localize' any kind of motherboard surge or static damage; we're going to see if the motherboard is maybe (actually - likely, as the most likely scenario with a surge damaged MOBO would be total failure - would not likely startup at all...) OK, and you have a bad component. First thing we need to do is 'strip' the motherboard; you don't need to take anything apart - simply 'pull all its plugs'. What you want to wind up with is the power connectors from the supply - both the ATX 20+4, or 24 pin (whichever your PSU has), and the ATX_12V 2x2; 1 stick of RAM in the DDRII_1 slot; the video card in the PCIe slot; a keyboard, (don't need a mouse at this point), and a video cable to your monitor. Now power up and do the same thing, but this time select "Load FailSafe Defaults"... If it still doesn't work after the reboot, try powering down and exchanging for a different stick of RAM - rinse, lather, repeat... :pt1cable:

One more question - do you have a case speaker on this thing?

darthnbs

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I contacted ECS with regard to this perceived error and they said that it was normal for some new AMD CPUs to tell BIOS to display this message. Anyway, they say that if you changed the CPU to a newer one, the first time boot would say "AMD Data Change.......................Update New Data To DMI! Update Success. Your second reboot will not display it provided you didn't turned it off and just rebooted the machine. However, the next time you turn on your PC, it would say it again, "AMD Data Change.....................Update New Data to DMI!" but they claim that changes have already been changed and this is just normal.

Furthermore, if your PC is working perfectly fine then there should be no reason to be alarmed even if this message comes out always when you reboot.