Calling all past/present Asrock Dual-VSTA 775 Overclockers, Help!

Calling all past/present Asrock Dual-VSTA 775 Overclockers, Help!

Here is my set-up:

-ASRock 775Dual-VSTA LGA 775 VIA PT880 PRO ATX Intel Motherboard
-Version 2.40

-Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 Ghz (Overclocked to 2.71 Ghz)-Max CPU supported from website is X6800. CPU-ID Rated FSB 1084.9, 2712.2 Mhz, 10 x multiplier

- Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory 4-4-4-12 Low Latency (max supported from website)
-CPUZ -Freq 203.4Mhz, 4:3, 3-3-3-8, Command Rate 2T

- Leadtek WinFast PX7900GS TDH 256MB GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card(Max 8800GTX supported from website)

-HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 HDT722525DLAT80 (0A31611) 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive (SATA 3.0 Max Hard Drive)

-M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1 5.1 Channels PCI Interface High-Definition Sound Card

-Sony Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s

-Rosewill RE502-SLV 500W ATX12V v2.03 Aluminum Power Supply

-APEVIA X-CRUISER-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

I have researched that overclockers of the e6700 were able to up the FSB 285-297 and in some cases over 300 on this board. I can't go over 271 stable. Windows loads but then freezes or get a random reboot.

Speed fan says Core 0 and 1 33 c and Core 46 c at idle. So heat should not be an issue.

Would someone experienced with this board and CPU please help me out?
Where is the bottleneck?

Thanks!

Josh
16 answers Last reply
More about calling past present asrock dual vsta overclockers help
  1. Have you changed any BIOS settings other than FSB?
  2. no. It is the original Bios 2.40 that came with the board. When talking with Asrock in the past, they told me not to change anything unless their was a problem; it would not improve performance to upgrade...
  3. sorry, I was thinking bios version. Regarding settings, I only changed what I saw on several posts on forums for better performance, but not many....
  4. Here are screen shots of the bios.

I found that the bios is only using DDRII 533 on the main screen because auto is used for memory type. However, when I changed it to DDRII667 I then had a random lock up.
    I also just had a random lock up and a motherboard beep when I attempted to open internet explorer while the computer was still loading windows system tray icons and other start-up programs. I lowered the FSB down to 270 to be safe for now.
  5. Try changing DRAM Voltage to Normal, Flexibility Option to Disabled, Primary Graphics Adapter to PCI-Express, PCIe Downstream Pipeline to Disabled.

Do you know the default voltage for the CPU, and what does CPU-Z say the voltage is at idle and load?
  6. CPU-Z show voltage at 1.2-1.216 at idle and when loading speedfan i saw 1.32. Speedfan says 1.22 at idle. What is the best way to check load voltage?

I will try changing the options you listed and let you know shortly. Thanks for the help.
  7. I changed everything you suggested and am at 275 right now with no freeze ups yet. I will play FC2 for a little bit and see if I can keep it stable, and then move up again.

I agree with changing the primary graphics adapter.
    What is DRam voltage?
    What is flexibility option?
    what is PCIeDownstream pipeline?
    Why is "Auto" for a setting not correct for these in this case?

Thanks again, I will keep bumping it up 5 FSBs and let you know.

Josh
  8. I am now at 280FSB and she's still running ok. Core 0 and 1 are at 33-34 c and "Core" is at 48c, so no real changes there. Voltage is still the same. I will test some more again and then bump er up to 285
  9. I am back at 270FSB. at 280 FC2 wouldn't load, it froze. I backed it down to 275 and when clicking on internet explorer while windows was finishing up loading, the screen froze and I got a motherboard Beep. So I am back to where I started.

-I agree with Primary Graphics Adaptor to PCIe
    -DRAM voltage-is this the same as voltage on my memory sticks(1.8 listed on newegg). I did some research and I believe low is 1.7, normal is 1.8, and high is 1.9. Does this sound correct? I left it at normal.
    I am still unclear about PCIe Downstream Pipeline(mixed enable and disable) and Flexibility option(most research says disable) but I left them at your suggested changes.
    Id greatly appreciate any further help and trouble shooting.
  10. DRAM Voltage is memory voltage.
    Flexibility Option disabled will allow the memory to run at a higher divider.
    I'm unsure about PCIe Downstream Pipeline myself, but have seen recommendations to disable. (Although I think I have mine set to Enabled, so maybe try that.)
  11. Was a solution to this ever found? I have a very similar set up and can't go beyond 270 FSB
  12. same here...no clue.....no solution found
  13. I had this board and a guide I read back in the day said stick AGP voltage to high, and I ran my board like this. This should get you up to the high 200s FSB. FYI I ran a E6320, I think 304 was my highest boot but practical running was about 295-300. Even still the board was a massive pain, and got transplanted as soon as I could afford to!
    You may also want to try the pencil-mod to get the vcore up too - I think there was one on VR-zone forums.
    Bear in mind though that 305 was the absolute top-end for this board, and I was running a much slower chip so was only achieving an overclock to 2.1Ghz, whereas you're starting a 2.66! Hence I may have been able to get away with less vcore. Oh and mine would never boot with ram set to 667 either!
    I would definitely try with AGP volts set to high though.
  14. Tried setting the AGP voltage to High but still no joy :( Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll check out that pencil-mod.

Do you mean it wouldn't boot with 667 ram at higher FSB? At 270 I'm booting fine with 4Gb (registering 3.3ish in XP) of DDR2 @ 667 and modded BIOS 3.13g
  15. I had two sticks of DDR2-800 (2x1Gb) and it would always freeze if I set the BIOS option to 667Mhz, so I always has it set at 533 regardless of FSB. I was probably running an early-ish BIOS though so perhaps they ironed this out with later revisions.
    I think the pencil mod is probably your best chance of getting anthing more from the board.
  16. pci-e downstream pipeline must be set to disabled for some pci-e cards or games can have devastating artifacts and crashes.
    memory flex set to off.
    Ram voltage set to 1.9 for ALL overclocks.
    RAM SET TO 667 o.k at 1.9v if cpu is to be left at auto(2.3 gig) or cpu manually set to stock(2.4)
    If o/c ing a 266 cpu ram must be set at 533, as even with 800 meg ram the controller cannot handle overclocking thru a divider. this is probably due to part intergers.
    I am sure i could get to 2.8, but my cpu fan is worn out ;#}
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards ASrock