Asus P6T Delux ram issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachbum

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
First, while I am new to this, I am not so new to building my own computers. I just purchased an Asus P6T Delux motherboard, with an I7. Simple enough. It does not matter if I follow the recommended mem installation, when I have all 6 banks filled only 8gigs are show in the bios. If I remove one black DDR3 from DIMM A2 (BLACK), bios now sees 10gigs. Replace A2 again, and I get 8gigs. I have tried several configurations, and I still have the same problem. Yes I flashed the bios, so I am running the newest bios. Now here is the crazy part. If I check my little utility CPU-Z, it shows 12 gigs when all the banks are full, but the bios then shows 8gigs. Yes all of the ram has been tested, and they all work fine.

Memory Type: Dual Channel DDR3

Memory Speed: 1333MHz PC10600

Memory CAS Latency: 7-7-7-20

I know several people have had the same problem with Asus P6T Delux. I love the board. I have always used Asus with no problems what so ever. If this is a know problem, should I just purchase the Asus Rampage? You thoughts please, and be kind.

Thanks.

AtaliaA1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
If your program sees all of your ram, and Windows Vista sees all of your ram. Where is the problem. the x58 MB are best used with three banks of ram not four. a Latency issue.

beachbum

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

That's what I thought at first. However, all the banks are filled. So it's not a bank config issue. All the memory has been tested-no issues there. So starting with the bios. When all banks are filled, the bios does not see the 12 gigs. In fact, the bios reads only 8 gigs. When I enter the OS (Vista 64x) The Os also displays 8gigs. Now when I use the little utility, CPU-Z does in fact show the 12 gigs. Now, if it were a Latency issue, I should have that problem with no matter if I have 3 banks filled or two. All memory is the same as noted. Now I have been able to get the bios to recognize upto 10gigs. But with I add the final bank, it subtracts, and brings it back to eight. Eight, not ten. How strange is that? I will go back to check sttings, but this issue happens with default settings with no OC.

Thanks.

AtaliaA1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Sounds Like BIOS Flash needed, but I would not fill 4 banks with DDR3 Ram. with 4 banks all the reviews say you loose speed due to latency issue. just a side note.

Your problem sounds like bios flash check MotherBoards website.

AtaliaA1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009

OHhhhhh Mannn!!!! I just ordered this MB too. From IBuyPower. hope the don't let system out with that problem. Who did you get your system from?

?

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
If you bought a complete system then it should have been tested and will be fine.

I built it with parts from New Egg.

The P6T deluxe should run 12 gigs just fine, and there's only a minor speed hit. I'm running 12 gigs of DDR3-1600 (which by the way is 6 banks, not 4), and it runs great.

What BIOS version do you have?

pursellitsystems

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I just bought the exact same setup. P6T Deluxe V2 mobo with i7 processor and 12 gigs of ram...BUT only shows 8 gigs in bios and 8 gigs in Vista 64. Doesn't seem to be any final answer to this thread? What did you do to resolve this? Thanks!

P.S. One other thing I've found while researching this issue is that it may be the speed of our memory modules.

"Due to Intel spec definition, XPM DIMMs and DDR-3 1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

My memory modules are 1600mhz memory modules, what about yours? Should we downgrade memory to 1333mhz?

Macxs

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
hi

I have the same chip/mobo/6 slots filled with 2gb ram and have exactly the same problem! 12 gig shows up in CPUz, but only 8 in bios and Vista 64 - however, I am running 1333MHz ram (Corsair CM3X2G1333C9) already, so that doesn't help.

Logged on to Asus and updated the bios, and after booting into it I can sometimes get 10 gb to show up - but a straight boot into Windows always shows 8.

The mobo shows the blue light under the ram slots, indicating no problem.

Changing the bios voltage settings only seem to make the system bluescreen a lot more - since I reset everything abck to default auto it runs stable.

Been on Corsairs forum - no clear answers there either.

Might have to tackle Asus, or the vendors, I guess. I'd hate all the hassle of replacing the mobo.

Help! Driving me nuts! Wasted too much time on this!
Any ideas out there?

Mac

acdp

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I too am having the same problem. I have an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, with 12GB installed RAM, with only 8 showing up in the BIOS and Windows, but 12 in CPU-Z. Someone should post a solution for this catastrophe :)

anson1999

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I am facing the same problem. I bought this board two days ago in Hong Kong. I returned my new Corsair TR3X6G1666C9 x 2 and change to TR3X6G1333C9 x 2 that is Qualified Vendor List (QVL) to run for two set of Triple-channel. I tried to plug 6G ram (A1, B1, C1), but bios still only see 4G ram. (It should be from A1 and C1 slot). I haven't tired to plug another 6G ram into my MB coz I am sure it won't work. I can see 6G ram from cpu-z either.......... Anyone can help???? It is killing me! :(

cadman_ld

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I had the exact same problem. I was told that it was some kind of timing issue from a computer tech. that I know. It would show up as 8gig in bios & 8gig in system info. I also downloaded cpu-z and it showed 12gig just like you, I also downloaded the latest bios, which didn't help. So the next day I pulled all the memory out, and then installed two sticks into the orange slots & booted up and bios showed 4gigs and system info showed 4gigs. I then continued adding one stick at a time and low and behold it kept showing the correct size in bios and system info., I done this till all 6 banks was full. My bios now shows 12gig and system info shows 12gig. I did notice that my corsair 1333 memory is now running at 1066. If you read the manual it states that the system may run your memory at a slower speed. I just wonder if I increase the voltage if it will run my memory at the correct speeed. Hope this helps.

LD

nightdiver

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I had the same problem as well. I purchased 7 of these mb's two had this problem, and I was using the exact same setup in each one. I talked with ASUS, they are aware of the problem. I returned the 2 and the new ones work perfectly.
I will continue purchasing this board, simply because it is the best right now.

qianlin

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Ya asus's x58 motherboards are having problems with 12gb RAM. I called asus they said my cpu's memory controller is faulty. RAMed Cpu. Still 8gb. Check RMA with friends computer. RAM fine. RMA motherboard. Got new motherboard. Still 8gb. Talk to newegg and got a full refund. Bought a EVGA x58 3X SLI. Happy as ever.

Long story short ASUS's x58 motherboards have problems

As to CPU-s showing 12gb. Don't believe it. The chip on the RAM says it's 2gb RAM and CPU-Z believes that. It doesn't actually test the RAM to make sure its 2gb each. Its true. Bought some really cheap RAM before. CPU-Z said it was 1gb. It really was 256mb. I got ripped off.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
So, has anybody been able to resolve this issue ??? I just bought a P6t and of course I have the same issue as everyone else. Only 8GB of 12 is detected in windows.

G

hi there,
interesting problem with the p6t...

It seems to be a problem with mobo??

first thougth that occured to me is that vista x64 home basic only supports 8GB of memory....
may not be relevant... but just in case :O

thedave

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I have a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 with OCZ Obsidian Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV6GKOS. Installed Win7 Pro 64 bit. The BIOS and OS both only showed 4 Gig of the 6 GIG installed. I did some digging and found the following BIOS setting fixed my problem immediatly. 9-9-9-24-88 (CAS 9, tRCD 9, tRP 9, tRAS 24, tRFC 88.) My machine has now been up for 36 hours with no issues and both the BIOS and OS show 6 GIG memory now. All other memory settings left on Auto.

Regards,
TheDave

lsslomin

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

I spoke with an ASUS rep about the "missing memory" issue today.

This problem is likely the result of using RAM that is incompatible with the motherboard. DDR3 is very picky about the way memory modules are configured within the DIMM slots, and most RAM sticks can only be configured on ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 boards in specific ways. For starters, if you're only filling three slots, make sure they're all the same channel (fill all the orange DIMM slots first).

ASUS maintains a "Memory Qualified Vendors List" PDF on its website that details the accepted configurations for different memory models, arranged by vendor and part number.

Find the link to the PDF download here: http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iRlP8RG9han6saZx&templete=2 Click on the "Download" tab, select OS, and click on "Qualified Vendors List."

When you remove certain RAM sticks, you are necessarily changing the way that the RAM modules are arranged within the slots, and consequently, you may accidentally stumble upon an accepted configuration (hence the BIOS recognizes the additional memory).

So, this is not a problem with the P6T Deluxe V2; it's an incompatibility issue with the motherboard and the specific memory being used.

G

If you are filling all 6 banks with memory fist make sure the two tri channels are compatible with each other. Second, in the BIOS set the memory frequency to one step lower than what is given in the brand.

ryanhell078

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I read around and found a possible solution. The 1336 socket pins: if one is bent for the mem controller it will cause this. These were never an issue until a year after build but I am going to try it. A Asus forum member suggested using a razor blade to repair bent pins. One user at least found it worked.

RodS_71

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

I too have a Asus X58 MB, I sure hope this helps all concerned. I had the very same issue as you all, 12gig ram showing 8gig in bios and in Win Vista, 7 64 bit. This is how I corrected my problem: In bios under AI Tweaker- UCLK- (set to twice the RAM clock speed)(My Config DDR3 1600) so UCLK setting 3200. Default is: Auto. Asus should either issue another Bios update or at the very least include a Notice in the User Manual ...

Status
Not open for further replies.