Sign in with
Your question

E6750 to 3.2, worthwhile OC?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2010 12:24:44 AM

i have an e6750, an older gigabyte ds3 motherboard (just installed a northbridge fan today), and i have an arctic freezer pro 7 cpu cooler, and 6gb of g.skill pc2-6400 (5-5-5-15) RAM. i know the E6750 is becoming a thing of the past. i am built to OC, just never have done it. i'm wondering how helpful an OC from the stock 2.67 to 3.2 would be? would i need to change the voltage at all with that OC? i'm hoping to do something relatively simple that i don't have to change a lot of settings for, but also want it to show an impact...thanks.

More about : e6750 worthwhile

a b à CPUs
February 28, 2010 12:54:33 AM

It would be noticeable if you run intense applications such as games. It will not be noticeable if you only run firefox.
m
l
February 28, 2010 12:55:59 AM

It really depends on what you plan on doing with your computer. If its a CPU intensive task for transcoding or graphics rendering, or games it could give you a boost. For everyday tasks, there won't be a big difference.

My advice would be to Do a light OC like 3.2GHz, and see if you notice a difference in speed. For that, you should be able to keep it at stock voltages, or a small increase, maybe to around 1.3 or 1.35V. I'll let someone else help you with the voltages, because I don't have experience with that chip. But just keep the voltages as low as you can without the system crashing when you boot or run an intensive task.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2010 1:21:24 AM

cool, thanks. yeah i play COD4, TF2, and soon SC2. i ordered a radeon 5770 and so i'm hoping i will be able to take on all 3 games easily with max settings. i will probably try the 3.2 after i get the 5770 and see how all the games (except SC2 obviously) run.
m
l
February 28, 2010 3:38:02 PM

so what do i need to do on OC'ing this...i have read the OC guide, but really i am wondering if i punch it up to 3.2 (heard 3.6 is a pretty common OC for this chip), what do i need to set the RAM to, vcore? any help is appreciated.
m
l
!