New at overclocking. Please help

oo86

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hello everyone, im new here and new to the whole overclocking process. I found my old Gateway desktop which happends to be pretty slow. It was manufactured back in 03 and i know its a crappy computer but works well for music downloading and being the guinea pig of viruses instead of my new laptop. Videos pause for a bit and when i click on Mozilla once the computer starts, its takes like 15 seconds for it to start. I would like to overclock whatever possible in the computer to help it a bit but dont know how. Basic info about it.

XP Professional SP 2
Intel(R) Celeron(R)CPU 2.20GHz
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 Kilobyte secondary memory cache
1.00GB of Ram
Bus Clock 100mhz
Intel(R) Graphics Controller
Board: Intel Corporation D845GERG3 AAC29595-101

From my undestanding, this is not a custom build so there might not be many options for me which i understand, but any little bit will help.
Thanks

oo86

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
i read a bit about. and ive havent seen to many bad things about it. seems like just have to download the right file and it overclocks it by itself. If anyone had the time and could help as if you had my computer and could guide me through this i would appreciate it.

Overshocked has already told you;

You cant overclock with boxes bought from dell, gateway, etc. You can use setfsb... But that will only get you so far.

Its a Gateway computer, those brand name motherboards are chosen because they're basic solid, which means it completely runs from the SPD component identification that basically informs the motherboard of the installed hardware's capabilities, speeds, and settings, there are no user BIOS tweaking settings to manipulate those internally set settings.

To the best of my knowledge no one here is going to be able to successfully walk you through overclocking that computer.

Well at least this is not a premo machine you could screw up with your lack of OCing skills but here's a setfsb website warning, and good luck to you!

Warning !!!

If you are a beginner, do not use this software.
This software is for power users only.
Use "SetFSB.exe" at your own risk.

oo86

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
i understand what youve told me. its just when i read the on how to use setfsb, it seemed kind of simple, once you download it and open it, you set your clock generator by choosing your motherboard and that automatically lets you see your current fsb/memory frequency/pci-e and pci. you increase them to what you want, set them and done. Maybe its not that simple then. Just wanted to know what would be safe for me to raise it to, and if any has that program running, to see if my motherboard is on there.