Just changed the cpu and laptop runs cooler

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • GPUs
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2009 1:53:34 AM

with x-9000 than a t-7500 ! cpu at idle 30c gpu 13 , at work 100% cpu at 50c , gpu 23c . used to be cpu 68c and gpu 43c . The HP 8510-p had so much thermal paste on CPU and GPU it was obscene , my advice is if your laptop runs hot change the thermal paste , the factory puts it on with a spatula !
I used OCZ Freeze , easy to apply and seems to cool better than the glop the factory used
and the processor SCREAMS !

More about : changed cpu laptop runs cooler

January 27, 2009 4:29:47 AM

yes you should repost as too much paste!

the question is why?

the reasons are many:

1) when shipping something from china to american, then sits in wharehouse at 110f then the store turns it on then, your get it home finally the paste dries out - if they use just the right ideal amount they risk delamination

2) its easier to add too much then just right and too little is real bad!

3) stupid!
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2009 11:23:30 AM

Then everyone should clean and reapply new thermal grease when they buy a laptop , mine is running 10c cooler with the x-9000 compared to the t-7500, if i just put the 7500 back I'm sure it would run even cooler .
Why would it dry out at 110 f in the warehouse when normal running temps are much hotter ? If that were the case the paste would need to be reapplied every 6 months no ? I think they are just sloppy at the factory .
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2009 2:44:48 AM

You did go from a 65nm CPU to a 45, so that would explain the lower idle. Hard to say for the full load - you'd have to measure power consumption to be sure, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the X9000 had roughly the same peak power as the T7500, even though it's rated higher. Sounds like you're happy with the swap though :) 
January 28, 2009 7:15:02 AM

jerry6 said:
Then everyone should clean and reapply new thermal grease when they buy a laptop , mine is running 10c cooler with the x-9000 compared to the t-7500, if i just put the 7500 back I'm sure it would run even cooler .
Why would it dry out at 110 f in the warehouse when normal running temps are much hotter ? If that were the case the paste would need to be reapplied every 6 months no ? I think they are just sloppy at the factory .

first off that is very impractical as the average computer user is way too imtimadate by a laptop - very impractical

second, you must check the warranty - out of warranty ok - in warranty: you can void you warranty by doing that

finally, this is a good post and it is good advice but it is given for very advance techies like us - normal peeps most likely would do more damage then good - key board especially