Just changed the cpu and laptop runs cooler

with x-9000 than a t-7500 ! cpu at idle 30c gpu 13 , at work 100% cpu at 50c , gpu 23c . used to be cpu 68c and gpu 43c . The HP 8510-p had so much thermal paste on CPU and GPU it was obscene , my advice is if your laptop runs hot change the thermal paste , the factory puts it on with a spatula !
I used OCZ Freeze , easy to apply and seems to cool better than the glop the factory used
and the processor SCREAMS !
4 answers Last reply
More about just changed laptop runs cooler
  1. yes you should repost as too much paste!

the question is why?

the reasons are many:

1) when shipping something from china to american, then sits in wharehouse at 110f then the store turns it on then, your get it home finally the paste dries out - if they use just the right ideal amount they risk delamination

2) its easier to add too much then just right and too little is real bad!

3) stupid!
  2. Then everyone should clean and reapply new thermal grease when they buy a laptop , mine is running 10c cooler with the x-9000 compared to the t-7500, if i just put the 7500 back I'm sure it would run even cooler .
    Why would it dry out at 110 f in the warehouse when normal running temps are much hotter ? If that were the case the paste would need to be reapplied every 6 months no ? I think they are just sloppy at the factory .
  3. You did go from a 65nm CPU to a 45, so that would explain the lower idle. Hard to say for the full load - you'd have to measure power consumption to be sure, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the X9000 had roughly the same peak power as the T7500, even though it's rated higher. Sounds like you're happy with the swap though :)
  4. jerry6 said:
    Then everyone should clean and reapply new thermal grease when they buy a laptop , mine is running 10c cooler with the x-9000 compared to the t-7500, if i just put the 7500 back I'm sure it would run even cooler .
    Why would it dry out at 110 f in the warehouse when normal running temps are much hotter ? If that were the case the paste would need to be reapplied every 6 months no ? I think they are just sloppy at the factory .

first off that is very impractical as the average computer user is way too imtimadate by a laptop - very impractical

second, you must check the warranty - out of warranty ok - in warranty: you can void you warranty by doing that

finally, this is a good post and it is good advice but it is given for very advance techies like us - normal peeps most likely would do more damage then good - key board especially
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs GPUs Thermal Compound