Random crashes

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I have a Gigabyte 3GHz AMD with 4Gb RAM, almost never have more than 2Gb RAM being used even if a lot of programs are running, 3 monitors running as well (1 off USB).
I am having a problem where the computer will just lock up when I click on something in an application. Usually the application is Excel or sometimes an application called Dealbook 360. The software vendors of Dealbook 360 say it is not a problem with the software and I have it running on another computer and it does not cause the system to lock up on that. I can't figure out why only these 2 apps would cause it to crash but maybe it is just coincidence. Is there anyway to figure out what might be causing this? I can analyse the dump files if needed but not sure where to start...

Random lockups, motherboard, power supply, RAM tend to be the primary suspects.

Inspect the motherboard for any bad capacitors (they should all be flat, not rounded or popped), try to run with one stick of RAM at a time, then 2 if that test works, then all of them. If you still get the random lock-ups, you may need to find a power supply to test with.

A good idea maybe to run a few benchmarks like PCMark or PassMark, running both can't hurt. Stress tester like Prime95 is good to run also. This will rule a few things also.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Doesn't seem to be any problem with the memory:
[Wed Apr 06 17:44:35 2011]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
[Wed Apr 06 18:00:23 2011]
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
[Wed Apr 06 18:16:43 2011]
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!

PCMark ran but then didn't report any results so am not sure how t run that.
Also, PassMark doesn't seem to have a free version so am not able to run that either.

I had a look at the mobo and can't see anything majorly wrong, it's a new PC as well.

Is it worth still doing the RAM test - one by one?
I doubt event manager will have any info as it was a lock up.

remove dealbook completely from the computer restart
run XL to see if the same problem occurs.
process of elimination, if it is the software causing it to lock, try to narrow down which software and go from there.
it is entirely possible that the hardware is just fine, and that there is a bug in the application or the operating system.
The OS can accumulate bugs. The OS can also be repaired. If the app runs on one computer with no problem, and causes another to lock, another possible solution is to repair the operating system and try it again.
If the OS is repaired and the problem still happens, then I would start looking at the mother board.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Slightly odd workaround but I have started running Dealbook in VirtualBox and it seems to be fine.
However, I was just using Excel and all I did was copy a cell and it locked up the computer.
Why would only these 2 applications cause it to lock up? None of the other applications ever seem to cause a problem. Could it be the dlls they are accessing or something else? Same reason goes for the mobo, if that was the issue then why would only these 2 apps cause the issue?

If I repair the OS, won;t it wipe existing installations or is it just a case of inserting the Windows disk and clicking repair?

Admin1982

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

This can be a problem with your, RAM, Power supply, memory, cpu or mobo. check your Mobo for swolen caps, also, if all checks out, you would want to make sure that you have sufficent cooling for your processor, if it's overheating, that would happen, if you've done all the above and the problem persist, tyr reinstalling the operating system, it could be a software problem as well.

Try checking the error log in management to see what error message is related to the problem.

Hope this helps

You should read the other posts first, this is at least the 3rd post you had that just re-worded what other posts said.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
RAM - no problem, done the checks
Power supply - why would power supply cause that issue?
cpu - spu check out ok in tests
mobo - why would mobo cause this and why specifically with only 2 applications?

If it's ONLY in those 2, would not be random lockups with hardware. You said "usually", which sounds like you just use those two the most. The list was just components that cause random lock-ups in systems.

Check for service packs for the programs with the issues.

Did you check the application and system event log already? Even if the PC locks up does not mean it did so before the error was logged.

Another thing to try, use a different user account to make sure you don't have any corrupt files in your profile.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Actually Avira sometimes causes it as well but I've never had any of the other programs cause a problem, which is why it's strange.
There are not errors or strange logs in the event manager at the time of the crashes.
What files does the profile have that might cause this? I assumed it might be a windows thing somewhere.

Temp files, application plug-ins, templates, things like that. Most are user specific.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

So, If I create a new user, do I have to reinstall some of the apps?

Not unless you installed them only for the one user (some setups ask you that). You may be missing shortcuts on the desktop to them, the desktop is user specific.

silly wabbit
when you run stuff like avaira in your system or other free downloads that claim they will "fix" repair, speed up or clean your computer, you are just asking for trouble.
Backup all your personal files, reformat and reinstall a fresh OS, use only an all in one professional antivirus such as norton, panda, kapersky....
then refrain from loading free junk programs, and you will have eliminated a large part of the problem.
If you get rid of all that junk and the problem still happens, then it really could be a bad board.

Avira is in no way in the class of the other software you mention, Avira, AGV, Avast, are all good products, along with several others. Once you get to the realm of things like "UltraMega Speedup Booster", that's the stuff to avoid.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I have uninstalled AVira and put in COMODO AV + firewall instead to try it out.
OOI, if it was the mobo wouldn't crash almost immediately rather than randomly?

Any electrical issue can only come up in certain situations. I have seen motherboards with bad capacitors run for hours with no issues, run through benchmark, stress tests etc.., then crash when a user tried to open a document at some random time.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Well, I'm not sure which helped:
1. uninstalling avira and installing comodo instead or
2. video driver update
but all seems to be better.
#Thanks