bbaggins

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I have a Q9550 (E0 Stepping) with a Xigmatek s1283 cooler attached using the bolt through bracket. Right now everything is running stock. Real Temp is showing the following:

Idle/Load (using Orthos - Only stressing 2 cores, but that's a different issue for me to resolve)
Core 0 - 32/47
Core 1 - 25/40
Core 2 - 23/29
Core 3 - 23/29

The large delta on Core 0 as compared to the other cores is my concern.

Sensors test OK in Real Temp. Bios reports CPU temp as 26C. Real Temp does show the Minimum temp for all 4 cores went as low as 22C at various times. I checked the event logs and don't see anything happening at those times.

I tried completely cleaning and remounting the cooler (using Arctic Silver 5), and even rotated it 90 degrees with the same results. Upon inspection of the heatsink base/CPU, it appears that good, even contact is being made with the cooler base and the CPU.

Looking through Task Manager, nothing appears to be consuming CPU cycles, and I turned off everything I know to be non essential to running windows (Vista x64) with no effect on the temps.

I think I can surmise that:

Temp sensors are probably OK.
Heatsink and mounting are probably OK.
CPU could have a minor defect on Core 0
Something else is consuming CPU cycles I haven't detected yet (most likely)

My questions:

1 - Are the delta's in Core temps anything to be concerned about?
2 - Any suggestions on other things to try to find why Core 0 is running higher than the others?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
dude! what you read is the not the truth!

do you think there is a tiny thermal couple buried perfect in the middle of the core? no!

your fine! you must of added extra compound per my posts!

good job, nice temps and all is well

your temp pattern is normal

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
HOW TO RUN 4 CORES STESS TESTS!

1) run prime 95 not orthos - it will run all 4 cores

2) run orthos with stablity test from john v down load from pcworld - this also cycels other parts of the system

my tests invlove all the above and run multiple 3dmark test simutanously

second i run orthos ram and cpu seperate with other testes

then i run anti virus and anti spyware with orthos and 3dmark06

thats why we build the worlds fastest computers! - when you run all those tests you 98-95% sure of 100% stablity

final test is to game it, then game it with all the above -- this methos is near 100% - i say 100% but not sure if its in the 99% or 100%

rock on! test on!

and thank you for the people whow write the software we get for free!