Sign in with
Your question

Aftermarket Cooler for Q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2010 12:13:17 PM

Hi all,

I have a Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz on an Intel DG33FB Motherboard
So i cant overclock my Q6600

I use 3DS Max a lot and while rendering, the processor temperature goes above 80 C. I am running on stock cooler

So i think its time to buy an aftermarket cooler.

I have my eyes on Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm

Is it okay for me?

I usually do software overclocking using SetFSB while gaming
But only to 2.6 GHz

So is the Arctic Freezer okay for me? Are there other alternatives?

PS: I have never bought an aftermarket cooler in my LIFE !!!!1
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2010 12:40:18 PM

It looks like the CM Hyper 212 Plus, only a teeny bit little more expensive. I would recommend either of them, but I'm partial to the Hyper 212 Plus. Mainly because it's the one sitting in my system, partly because it received great reviews in a lot of places.

Does your case have good airflow? It's a crucial part in keeping your system cool.
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2010 3:49:19 PM

The rendering process is cpu and memory intensive so installing a third party cpu heatsink might help.

Here is a link to a very good web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks that will help you make an informed decision:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the Google embedded search feature at the web site to find more information about heatsinks for specific cpu sockets.

The Coolermaster CM Hyper 212+ mentioned by gracefully is a very good heatsink at a very good price. Just measure the width of your pc case. The will have to be at least 8 inches (204mm) wide to accomodate a 160mm tall tower style cpu heatsink.

If your pc case is less than 8 inches wide you will have to measure the distance between the motherboard and the case side panel to find out which size low profile cpu heatsink will fit.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm
!