CPU temps and overall computer temps

empee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Sooo, I'm sort of freaking out cause my temps are going crazy.

Here are my computer specs
Intel Core2Quad 2.4ghz
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
EVGA 780i SLI
4GB Ram
500GB Western Digital HD
Windows XP Professional 64bit edition

These are my temps idling,
my.php

When I play a game, the temps go up, obviously, but are they dangerous?

GPU gets up to about 70c +-4c and my CPU and cores get to about 60c +-5c. The thing is I'm no good with computers on the inside. Hardware is like another language to me. If someone could give me a solution to fixing that without getting a new heatsink, and if I would need a new heatsink, what should I get that is easy to install and I don't have to remove the motherboard. Something simple.

No they aren't dangerous in my opinion (certainly the GPU - they can run extrememly hot to keep the fan noise down) and if your case ventilation is not the best it would explain the variation with other users.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
You could try lowering the Vcore in the BIOS by a few notches if it really bothers you but that will lead to system instability if you put it too low.
Really would not worry about it though ;)

empee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
So I'm in good shape? I'm just worried cause I spent a lot of money and then it took me like a month to get it all put together.

Kari

Splendid
how many fans do you have on the case itself? add a couple if there isn't enough airflow through the case, but other than that the temps look decent.

But wth is going on with the 12V line? that ingame pics shows it at 9.82V?? thats way too low... check it in the bios, could be some glitch in speedfan...

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
EMPEE, there are so many questions I don't know where to start.

First download CoreTemp or Realtemp and see what your temps look like on those.

Download Prime95 or Orthos to stress test your system and find out what your MAX temp really is with 100% load.

Thermal Cpu spec is 71 degrees C, so if it gets close to that stop the program.

Download EVGA Precision or use your speedfan and up your Fan speed on your Gpu, it will run much cooler but produce more noise.

Reseat you cpu cooler or buy an aftermarket cooler if temps are too high.

And as pr2thej has stated you can lower your vcore in the Bios then use Prime or Orthos to see if it's stable. That will give you a LITTLE less heat with a lower vcore.

Now, if you don't like any of those just use your computer, have fun and don't worry about the Temps.

empee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I downloaded EVGA Precision and everything seems to be running cooler. My fan speed for my GPU was at 40 and is now at 61. It dropped about 8 or 9 degrees Celsius. Thanks for the help!