DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom drive in
an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on it,
right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it on
a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
machine, can we????

ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a new
modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the phone!!
HAHA!!

THANKS!!

Dana

Your mom just has to install the CD drive.. no diskette required..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom drive
>in
> an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on
> it,
> right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it
> on
> a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> machine, can we????
>
> ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a
> new
> modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the
> phone!!
> HAHA!!
>
> THANKS!!

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Mike, well, I think she did that (she's starting to give me attitude! GRR),
but Win 98 doesn't need the driver for the cd-rom? It's been a realllly long
time since I've done any computer "building" - or adding any hardware....

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Dana
>
> Your mom just has to install the CD drive.. no diskette required..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom drive
> >in
> > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on
> > it,
> > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it
> > on
> > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> > machine, can we????
> >
> > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a
> > new
> > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the
> > phone!!
> > HAHA!!
> >
> > THANKS!!

Dana

Win 9x has native support for CD drives.. one might question if the CD drive
has been jumpered correctly for installation on the ribbon cable..

Example.. if the CD is being placed on the same ribbon cable as another
drive, the jumper on the back should be set to slave.. if it is being placed
on its very own cable, the jumper should be set to master.. I think that
this is also the default jumper setting from new..

--

> Mike, well, I think she did that (she's starting to give me attitude!
> GRR),
> but Win 98 doesn't need the driver for the cd-rom? It's been a realllly
> long
> time since I've done any computer "building" - or adding any hardware....
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Dana
>>
>> Your mom just has to install the CD drive.. no diskette required..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom
>> >drive
>> >in
>> > an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on
>> > it,
>> > right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put
>> > it
>> > on
>> > a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows
>> > XP
>> > machine, can we????
>> >
>> > ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a
>> > new
>> > modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but
>> > the
>> > DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
>> > ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come
>> > blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the
>> > phone!!
>> > HAHA!!
>> >
>> > THANKS!!

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

She will have to edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to add the drivers for the
CD-ROM.

> Dana
>
> Win 9x has native support for CD drives.. one might question if the CD
> drive has been jumpered correctly for installation on the ribbon cable..
>
> Example.. if the CD is being placed on the same ribbon cable as another
> drive, the jumper on the back should be set to slave.. if it is being
> placed on its very own cable, the jumper should be set to master.. I think
> that this is also the default jumper setting from new..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Mike, well, I think she did that (she's starting to give me attitude!
>> GRR),
>> but Win 98 doesn't need the driver for the cd-rom? It's been a realllly
>> long
>> time since I've done any computer "building" - or adding any hardware....
>>

>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> Dana
>>>
>>> Your mom just has to install the CD drive.. no diskette required..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Thanks Mike - I think (trying to remember...) it's on its own cable. I had
two hard drives in there originally and they were m&s..... Soooooo, Jerry,
adding drivers from WHERE To the config and autoexec???

"Jerry" wrote:

> She will have to edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to add the drivers for the
> CD-ROM.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Dana
> >
> > Win 9x has native support for CD drives.. one might question if the CD
> > drive has been jumpered correctly for installation on the ribbon cable..
> >
> > Example.. if the CD is being placed on the same ribbon cable as another
> > drive, the jumper on the back should be set to slave.. if it is being
> > placed on its very own cable, the jumper should be set to master.. I think
> > that this is also the default jumper setting from new..
> >

> > --
> > Mike Hall
> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >

> > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Mike, well, I think she did that (she's starting to give me attitude!
> >> GRR),
> >> but Win 98 doesn't need the driver for the cd-rom? It's been a realllly
> >> long
> >> time since I've done any computer "building" - or adding any hardware....

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Mike - we've now set the jumpers on the HD to master and there is nothing on
the cd drive - we restart and STILL get a DISK BOOT FAILURE message....

Any more thoughts?

"Dana" wrote:

> Hey Mike,
> The cd and hard drive ARE on the same ribbon - there are no jumpers on the
> cd drive - and there are none on the hard drive but they are available to be
> put on the hard drive - if we make them a master, will the cd be the slave?
>
> If she just puts the cd in and boots, she gets a DISK BOOT FAILURE message...
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
> > She will have to edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to add the drivers for the
> > CD-ROM.
> >
> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > Dana
> > >
> > > Win 9x has native support for CD drives.. one might question if the CD
> > > drive has been jumpered correctly for installation on the ribbon cable..
> > >
> > > Example.. if the CD is being placed on the same ribbon cable as another
> > > drive, the jumper on the back should be set to slave.. if it is being
> > > placed on its very own cable, the jumper should be set to master.. I think
> > > that this is also the default jumper setting from new..
> > >

> > > --
> > > Mike Hall
> > > MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > >

> > > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

http://www.techadvice.com/tech/M/MSCDEX.htm

peterk

> Thanks Mike - I think (trying to remember...) it's on its own cable. I had
> two hard drives in there originally and they were m&s..... Soooooo, Jerry,
> adding drivers from WHERE To the config and autoexec???
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> She will have to edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to add the drivers for
>> the
>> CD-ROM.
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> > Dana
>> >
>> > Win 9x has native support for CD drives.. one might question if the CD
>> > drive has been jumpered correctly for installation on the ribbon
>> > cable..
>> >
>> > Example.. if the CD is being placed on the same ribbon cable as another
>> > drive, the jumper on the back should be set to slave.. if it is being
>> > placed on its very own cable, the jumper should be set to master.. I
>> > think
>> > that this is also the default jumper setting from new..
>> >

>> > --
>> > Mike Hall
>> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> >

>> > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

ok gang - if any of you are still hanging in here with me - she discovered
the jumper on the cd and it's set to slave now ---- we're still getting the
disk boot failure, though.

oh well. I'm done.... Thanks for all your help....

"Dana" wrote:

> Mike - we've now set the jumpers on the HD to master and there is nothing on
> the cd drive - we restart and STILL get a DISK BOOT FAILURE message....
>
> Any more thoughts?
>
> "Dana" wrote:
>
> > Hey Mike,
> > The cd and hard drive ARE on the same ribbon - there are no jumpers on the
> > cd drive - and there are none on the hard drive but they are available to be
> > put on the hard drive - if we make them a master, will the cd be the slave?
> >
> > If she just puts the cd in and boots, she gets a DISK BOOT FAILURE message...
> >
> > "Jerry" wrote:
> >
> > > She will have to edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to add the drivers for the
> > > CD-ROM.
> > >
> > > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Only if it is not on an IDE cable. Usually that is only seen in a very old
pc upgraded from Win95. If the CD/DVD drive is on an IDE cable it will be
natively supported.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> She will have to edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to add the drivers for
> the CD-ROM.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Dana
>>
>> Win 9x has native support for CD drives.. one might question if the CD
>> drive has been jumpered correctly for installation on the ribbon cable..
>>
>> Example.. if the CD is being placed on the same ribbon cable as another
>> drive, the jumper on the back should be set to slave.. if it is being
>> placed on its very own cable, the jumper should be set to master.. I
>> think that this is also the default jumper setting from new..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Mike, well, I think she did that (she's starting to give me attitude!
>>> GRR),
>>> but Win 98 doesn't need the driver for the cd-rom? It's been a realllly
>>> long
>>> time since I've done any computer "building" - or adding any
>>> hardware....

Hi Dana,

Win98 disks were generally not bootable, you needed a boot floppy with CD
support to use them from a DOS prompt.

--

> Hey Mike,
> The cd and hard drive ARE on the same ribbon - there are no jumpers on the
> cd drive - and there are none on the hard drive but they are available to
> be
> put on the hard drive - if we make them a master, will the cd be the
> slave?
>
> If she just puts the cd in and boots, she gets a DISK BOOT FAILURE
> message...
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> She will have to edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to add the drivers for
>> the
>> CD-ROM.
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> > Dana
>> >
>> > Win 9x has native support for CD drives.. one might question if the CD
>> > drive has been jumpered correctly for installation on the ribbon
>> > cable..
>> >
>> > Example.. if the CD is being placed on the same ribbon cable as another
>> > drive, the jumper on the back should be set to slave.. if it is being
>> > placed on its very own cable, the jumper should be set to master.. I
>> > think
>> > that this is also the default jumper setting from new..
>> >

>> > --
>> > Mike Hall
>> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> >

>> > "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I downloaded a win98 boot disk info and emailed it to her - she put it on a
floppy..... Without the floppy, we get the disk boot error - with it, she
gets to choose with cd support, but it ends up at a dos prompt on a:\ and

> ok gang - if any of you are still hanging in here with me - she
> discovered the jumper on the cd and it's set to slave now ---- we're
> still getting the disk boot failure, though.
>
> oh well. I'm done.... Thanks for all your help....

Make sure the hard drive is jumpered to Master, not Single.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Dana

When a hard drive is used as master to a slave unit, more often than not, it
has to be jumpered as master.. the machine is registering the CD as being a
valid drive, but no longer seeing the hard drive, hence the disc boot
failure..

If removing the CD drive from all cables enables the computer to boot
normally again, you will have to get a jumper for the hard drive, or use the
CD as master on the secondary IDE channel.. I guess if you don't have a
jumper for the hard drive, you most likely don't have a second IDE cable..

--

>I downloaded a win98 boot disk info and emailed it to her - she put it on a
> floppy..... Without the floppy, we get the disk boot error - with it, she
> gets to choose with cd support, but it ends up at a dos prompt on a:\ and
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dana,
>>
>> Win98 disks were generally not bootable, you needed a boot floppy with CD
>> support to use them from a DOS prompt.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey Mike,
>> > The cd and hard drive ARE on the same ribbon - there are no jumpers on
>> > the
>> > cd drive - and there are none on the hard drive but they are available
>> > be
>> > put on the hard drive - if we make them a master, will the cd be the
>> > slave?
>> >
>> > If she just puts the cd in and boots, she gets a DISK BOOT FAILURE
>> > message...

DaNa

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Mike, I can't thank you enough for ALL your help and level head today - After
eleventybillion phone calls, we did actually get jumpers on both the HD and
the CD, but it still gave the error. At this risk of us killing each other
(over the phone), I "gave up" and said I really didn't know what else to do.
Since this was for a friend of my mom's, we've now convinced her to buck up
and go buy a new computer.. Anyone in the market for a boat anchor??!!

I do appreciate your help - maybe I'll tackle it another time - but really,
I kinda doubt it....

Have a great Sunday! P.S. I'm curious and have always wanted to ask - is
this your "job" or do you guys just do this for "fun?"???!!!

Thanks again,

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Dana
>
> When a hard drive is used as master to a slave unit, more often than not, it
> has to be jumpered as master.. the machine is registering the CD as being a
> valid drive, but no longer seeing the hard drive, hence the disc boot
> failure..
>
> If removing the CD drive from all cables enables the computer to boot
> normally again, you will have to get a jumper for the hard drive, or use the
> CD as master on the secondary IDE channel.. I guess if you don't have a
> jumper for the hard drive, you most likely don't have a second IDE cable..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I downloaded a win98 boot disk info and emailed it to her - she put it on a
> > floppy..... Without the floppy, we get the disk boot error - with it, she
> > gets to choose with cd support, but it ends up at a dos prompt on a:\ and
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dana,
> >>
> >> Win98 disks were generally not bootable, you needed a boot floppy with CD
> >> support to use them from a DOS prompt.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

"Dana" <Dana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think I know the answer - BUT my mom is trying to install a cd-rom drive
>in
> an old Windows 98 machine. We need a system disk with cd-rom support on
> it,
> right? Do we get that off the Win98 machine she's trying to fix and put it
> on
> a floppy? (It's for a friend of hers) - We CAN'T get it off her Windows XP
> machine, can we????
>
> ANY advice here? This all started because the friend's modem died and a
> new
> modem didn't work, so I gave her an old box I had sitting around - but the
> DVD-ROM drive didnt' work and she can't get signed up for her email!
> ARGHGHGHG!!! It's never-ending!! and my mother and I are about to come to
> blows, because she's in a different city and I'm doing this over the
> phone!!
> HAHA!!
>
> THANKS!!

Dana -

For older computers, the LARGER issue is the jumper settings on the CD-Rom
drive (e.g. MASTER, SLAVE or CABLE SELECT) and
whether she is hooking it up to the Primary or Secondary IDE channel.

Personally, I would call the "Geek Squad" in her area (saves family
relationships -- and lowers your blood pressure - cheaper than the Dr. visit
and Rx for that)

gb
old-timer ... when the IBM PC was new (and before)

We do it for fun. The MVP program is strictly for volunteers, though many
are paid professional IT persons. All support provided here is free, whether
it be from an MVP or one of the many other technically literate helpers, and
done in our own spare time. I find that I learn just as much as I teach even
after many years of this, so for me it's a fair trade.