GTX 260-216 OC

Davez

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Hey guys I have a quick question.

For example, from BFG we got the OC and the OCX versions that come with higher clocks respectively, from the manufacturer. My question is, will I be able to hit those same values of the OCX card by overclocking a stock one myself?
Is the OC/OCX cooler any different from the stock one or what? Cause if not I sure could save a few extra bucks.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
heres the deal. the cards you buy already overclocked, you are guaranteed that clock stable. the vanilla cards they can be overclocked but how high isn't certain and isn't guaranteed. i bought 2 vanilla (stock clock) 260's and overclocked them pretty high but don't run them real high constantly.

Davez

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

Yes I heard that too, what I don't understand is why. I mean, isn't it all the same architecture and cooler ?

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
yes but like anything else, the very best will be used in more expensive products. similar to how some batches of CPU's can overclock better than others even though they are the same product.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
pretty equal man. i am running BFG cards but it was the price at the time that decided it for me. EVGA has great support, active community that helps with issues and both have step up programs with their cards. you cant go wrong either way.

Davez

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Okay so I guess my choice will be put on the one that has the lowest price / best bundle.

Another question.. I can't decide between a 22" and a 24" to go with this card, because I'm afraid that if I go for the 1920x1200, the card won't perform greatly on recent games maxed out.. without filters of course.. games like farcry 2, crysis warhead, fallout 3, etc.
What do you think about this? Will the difference be that noticeable that I should stay back at 22" 1680x1050?

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
well that's a good question because i didn't have a single 260 long enough to give a good answer to that question. i am hesitant on answering that one from personal experience alone but i am sure there are a ton of reviews showing a single 260 in benchmarks at various resolutions.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Speaking form experience, I bought the lower end card thinking just that, but I never could really get to the XFX highest end cards running stable. My advice is buy the highest clocked card and then you are able to OC it even higher after that, or buy a mid range one and then OC up to the highest one, but thats not even guaranteed. I could only OC my card stable from 650 core up only by 50 to 700. Thats not bad, but I would like to have gone further.

G

you just had a bad card, manufacturers generally have the same exact board layout and chip... its just the batch of chips... some are great... some are awful... chances are you'll get one inbetween...

I'd go for the 24 inch monitor... I have one with a 4870 512 MB card, and i have no issues maxing out any current games and considering a gtx 260 216 is more or less completely and utterly equal performance wise to the 4870 1 GB, that means that you'll be fine