Reformat question

Agathon

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I need to reformat my dell computer and it needs to be legit ie use the key on the sticker on the side of the computer. The sticker just says windows xp home and then the key. Can i use a a xp home sp2 disc to install and use the key on the side? Can the disc be retail or does it have to be oem for the key to work?

G

If you have a Dell Windows XP Home CD, you wouldn't be asked for the Product Key. Otherwise, you need a Windows XP Home OEM CD to match the Product Key. Are you sure your Dell doesn't have a recovery partition? You could try Ctrl F11 after the Dell BIOS splash screen

Agathon

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Id don't have a dell windows xp home cd and it doesn't have a recovery partition. I do have a windows xp home sp2 oem disc but i'm not sure if the key i have will work sense it doesn't say anything on the sticker but windows xp home and then the key.

Admin1982

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

All you have to do is get hold of ANY XP-Home CD be it OEM or retail, it's going to work, just use the keys on the sticker,you can even download the xp software and burn to a CD, it's going to work, GUARANTEED .