Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp desktop takes long time to load

Last response: in Windows XP
April 7, 2011 1:10:24 AM

Hello,
I have win xp pro and my desktop icons take a long time to load. Also my start up items on my task bar.
April 7, 2011 1:40:16 AM

I don't know if this will help or not, but try out a program called 'Tune XP 1.5'. You can defrag boot files AND use a method called 'ultra fast booting'. This combined with Microsoft Bootvis solved these problems and now my pc boots in less than 30 seconds (I'm using XP SP3 BTW). Tune XP also speeds up your shutdowns and is totally free. Here are the links:

http://download.cnet.com/TuneXP/3000-2086_4-10290929.ht... (read the user comments on the download page to get an idea of what you're dealing with, also read the program documentation as well)

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664 (NOTE: click on trace then click optimize system)

Use bootvis before using Tune XP, because this is what I did and everything is working beautifully.

Finally, Make sure your prefetch files are not being deleted because this can slow your start up time considerably. Good luck.
m
l
April 7, 2011 6:11:40 AM

I boot into windows fairly fast, it's once I am in, I see my desktop image but no icons for a long time and the programs that load on my task ba are way slow to load. But the icons are the slowest. It just started doing this a couple of weeks ago.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2011 7:15:56 AM

Too many applications running on start up a really full hard drive (90% full)
If you have already ruled those out do alot of defrags until the defrag process takes about 5 seconds
After that run a virus sweep using Avast set to scan on boot
If that still doesnt work it is probably a virus so back up any personal files and reinstall your OS
m
l
April 7, 2011 3:30:18 PM

teclady45 said:
Hello,
I have win xp pro and my desktop icons take a long time to load. Also my start up items on my task bar.

HI

I have some questions for you, one how long now have u had this CPU, three to four years, two, was the O/S ever reinstalled, three, do you do a lot of downloading?

If you have had the CPU for more than two years and and the O/S was never reinstalled, then i have the solution.

You need to Reinstall Windows, after a period of time, files get fragmented, even if u run a defrag or chkdsk or even msconfig to remove programs from the start up, it will still be slow , installing windows is the only solution that would work.

Installing any program to speed up ur pc, would be a total waste of cash and time, save urself both.

Trust me on this, I've been an IT tech for more that 11 years now.

Hope this would help
m
l
April 17, 2011 10:39:28 PM

Thanks for your help. All is well now.
m
l
October 31, 2012 6:19:51 AM

hi frnds i had this same problem of xp taking so long to show desktop screen after boot up .... i followed some advise of cleaning junk files , temp folder ,registry cleaner ..Nothing worked .... i deleted some registry folder in software folder in REGISTRY LIST which were'nt necessary for me .... I DELETED ADOBE FOLDER , SAMSUNG KIES FOLDER AND I RESTARTED PC AND IT BOOT UP IN 2 SEC .... THIS IS A REAL SOLUTION TRY ....
I HAVE THIS SOLUTION ITS VERY EASY BELIEVE ME ..JUST REMEMBER WHICH SOFTWARES OR HARDWARE U INSTALLED RECENTLY JUST DELETE THAT FOLDER FROM REGISTRY FOLDER ....REGISTRY CONTAINS IN ONLY SOFTWARES FOLDER AND THERE ARE 3 OR 4 FOLDERS OF SOFTWARE IN REGISTRY DELETE THEM ALL BY RIGHT CLICK (DELETE) AND RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.......

STEPS

1) Start , Run , regedit.exe

2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER , OPEN +SOFTWARE , DELETE RECENT SOFTWARE FOLDER

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE , OPEN +SOFTWARE ,
DELETE RECENT SOFTWARE FOLDER

4)HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG , OPEN +SOFTWARE ,
DELETE RECENT SOFTWARE FOLDER

AND RESTART YOUR PC .......
PROBLEM SOLVE NOW C YOUR SPEED WILL BE DOUBLE OF BOOTING

DONE THANKS

REGARDS
Punit_pandya@ymail.com